You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Why would a ski operator want to attract WH users
Date Posted: 22.06hrs on Mon 14 Apr 14
Seriously why would any operator even bother trying to attract winter highlanders, apart from the few exceptions going by recent comments it would be a customer segment I would avoid. Personally I think as a whole WH does more to damage the image of Scottish skiing. In the past I would of reccomended WH to folks to get a good update, not any more. I now recommend each areas Facebook or web page.

Scotland04

Last Visited: 14:27
19th May 2016
Re: Why would a ski operator want to attract WH users
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Mon 14 Apr 14
Cairngorm has received a lot of criticism recently.Frankly they deserve it!If the operator wants to continue as a ski venue.Then they need to know what their bread and butter users want.Surely the skiers who come up 4 to 5 times each winter are more important than the once a year Easter holiday skier or the doughnut hunters in summer.Skiers spend a lot of time and effort to ski in Scotland.We should surely be allowed to complain if the service is poor.You don't hear many complaints about the other centres...strange that!

walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 23.43hrs on Mon 14 Apr 14
Why would you want to attract a customer base that is already interested enough to use a niche website about exactly what you do? I don't know really, and that's the least sarcastic answer I can think of.

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.43hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
daveski Wrote:
In the past I would of reccomended WH to folks to get a good update, not any more. I now recommend each areas Facebook or web page.

Cairngorm facebooks gets the same comments and discussions as on here...
....but those comments then get deleted on the FB page !!!

so not really comparable

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.28hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
IMO it seems to work well for the other four resorts, not to say your points aren't valid to some extent, but are (on the whole) applicable only to Cairngorm, who, as scotland04 says, clearly aren't that interested in us lot (or skiers & boarders generally) in any case.

Most of the "whining", if you can call perfect valid and well reasoned/expressed arguments whining (odd troll excepted smiling smiley ) is motivated by a genuine love of the place, and sadness at what's going on (strategically, not operationally). If there's an equally valid counter argument, i'd love to hear it?

Also, has anyone checked how much whining CMLs real target market (cake hunters and bus parties presumably?) do? such as....

[www.tripadvisor.co.uk]

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.36hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
I think WH has done more for Scottish skiing than any other website including those of the ski centres.

You motivation for posting this Daveski is more your internal wrestling match between want to defend CML and the continual mistakes and poor information being pointed out.

I do think the operations team at Cairn Gorm are great. As good as anywhere else, but their management and rhetoric lets them down all the time.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 08.39hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
daveski Wrote:
Seriously why would any operator even bother trying to attract winter highlanders, apart from the few exceptions going by recent comments it would be a customer segment I would avoid. Personally I think as a whole WH does more to damage the image of Scottish skiing. In the past I would of reccomended WH to folks to get a good update, not any more. I now recommend each areas Facebook or web page.

Dave : you are right much of the moaning about Cairngorm is unjustified. I had a great day skiing there midweek at the start of April. It can still be a fun place to ski.

However.... Skiers are right to comment about the lack of mid-mountain uplift. The situation in Coire na Ciste in particular is farcical. It currently contains the best snow on the mountain and will be complete for weeks to come. Yet a rusting and neglected West Wall chairlift means it cant be enjoyed.

As far as I can see the decision to scale back operations to funicular + tourist attractions (plus smaller ski area) over the last decade have come from the very top (i.e HIE). So you are correct - there is no point moaning about the "operator". It seems clear their hands have been tied by the suits and accountants ?

This is very much proven by HIE's recent crazy decision to invest £4 million upgrading the "cafes and retail" rather than actually investing in snowsports or uplift that needs replaced. How many *extra* summer visitors do they think they can attract (given that people cant leave the top station due to the closed sytem!). None of these recent proposals will attract extra visitors to the area....

Why do I care? Well lack of public funding for investments in snowsports is worrying for the entire Scottish ski industry. Diversification at Cairngorm is good - but not at the expense of the skiing itself or indeed the other scottish ski areas. Fair comment ?

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.43hrs Tue 15 Apr 14 by Doug_Bryce.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 08.42hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
.... also Glencoe skiers are very grateful for the web cams that Alan has installed. A clear example of WH working well and promoting Scottish skiing.

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.42hrs Tue 15 Apr 14 by Doug_Bryce.

growwild

Date Posted: 09.10hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09.12hrs Tue 15 Apr 14 by growwild.

Attachments: 640px-Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg (34kB)  
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.05hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
I have a question.
Highlands and Islands Enterprise is an economic development agency. Its remit is the economy, business and competition, in the Highlands.

Is not the correct national agency for advising and promoting on sports/recreational infrastructure not Sport Scotland ?

What is its attitude to lift infrastructure at Cairngorm ?

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 12.30hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
Recent improvements at Hillend dry slope in Edinburgh were partially funded by Sport Scotland (500K). Could be a potential source of funding for all the Scottish areas?

The criteria are focused on increasing overall participation and also performance at national team level. M1 poma (and a few other lifts) were grant funded many years ago.

[www.midlothian.gov.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.31hrs Tue 15 Apr 14 by Doug_Bryce.

daveski

28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.06hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
With regard to Cairngorm we are rapidly moving towards a new operator, I don't know how far removed that will make them from any decision on core lift policy train etc. Have a read through the comments on the new team, not exactly receiving a traditional Scottish welcome from a few on this site.

As mentioned this site fits into a certain niche, very keen and knowledgeable winter enthusiasts and professional, I don't for a minute think Cairngorm has no issues and I usually only respond to comments when there maybe certain contributory factors as to why something is not done. The Ciste side seems to be the moste emotive, CML provided costings for refurbishment, even put a development plan for MTB which would benefit winter users all blocked by HIE. Over recent years they have improved piste preperation, snow farming, snow making and new ticketing system, replaced a shed load of fencing, seem to have a pricing policy - of top to bottom skiing then full price, started limiting sales when busy (had a few Hiccups with comms). Putting together events and developing park and cross features.
What they haven't done is, improved fencing of ciste side, repaired boardwalk, refurbished ciste chairs, ciste buildings (see point above)developed the Cas side catering, simplified and made an easier flow of ticket and ski hire, have an endless supply of spares on site, to reduce down time.
Controlled the weather to prevent the need to continuous dig out lifts this season, or reduce the wind speeds, make obscene amount of profit.

Bye they way re ticketing sytem point at the Cas - did this end up the disaster that was reported on WH before the system was in full use, or did the weekend only openings reported on WH happen (talking about operating policy not weather restrictions)

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 16.52hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
Today: 3 T-bars running + Funicular that was making mid-station stops. A lot less then 50% of the area was [or could be] open. Ticket price = £33.50. So that shoots down any notion of full price for top to bottom riding. [at least Dick Turpin wore a mask]

Kind regards

Olderalan

II

Last Visited: 09:22
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.50hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
hmm i normally ski a run be it the white lady, glas maol, goose, main basin, or eagle get on the lift and do it again don't see why any center needs to reduce prices if the main runs are open... yes i can see if it is a limited vertical on offer... only the goose from t4 up or only the top basin at cairngorm.... but if the main runs are open should be full price in my eyes...

go slide....

daveski

28th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.05hrs on Tue 15 Apr 14
Olderalan Wrote:
Today: 3 T-bars running + Funicular that was making mid-station stops. A lot less then 50% of the area was open. Ticket price = £33.50. So that shoots down any notion of full price for top to bottom riding.

Kind regards

Olderalan

Thanks for the correction - mayeb because its peak period, i.e. Easter Holidays.

Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: