You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
yehti

Last Visited: 19:57
1st Aug 2014
Found skis on An Socach
Date Posted: 20.29hrs on Thu 17 Apr 14
Was walking along the ridge of An Socach today and came across a pair of skis abandoned just off the top. Looked like they could have been buried by the snow and only exposed in the last few weeks.
Anyone on here been on a wee tour and felt like they were missing something on the way down?
Doug_Bryce

Re: Found skis on An Socach
Date Posted: 21.50hrs on Thu 17 Apr 14
Wow - struggling to think of a scenario that would result in someone leaving a pair of skis on top of a munro !? Eaten alive by a snow-badger ?

Tell me more.....
growwild

Date Posted: 21.58hrs on Thu 17 Apr 14
Too ashamed tae take the skis to the local tip as folk would find out he/she is a skier, so they dumped them where there wisnae anyone aboot.?
yehti

1st Aug 2014
Date Posted: 06.50hrs on Fri 18 Apr 14
growwild, That's going to need to be an awful lot of shame to make someone climb 900m to drop them! I'm not sure if even a mono-ski would generate that much shame.

Doug, carried of by an eagle perhaps? My only guess was that they'd taken them off and wandered away for a spot of lunch or a photo op and that by the time they returned the skis were buried in wind blown snow.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 09.14hrs on Fri 18 Apr 14
I hope there is not a link to a person here ? IE Missing !
timstirling

Last Visited: 01:20
12th Sep 2016
Date Posted: 14.17hrs on Fri 18 Apr 14
just off the top is weird. If it was lower down then it could eaislyl have been someone dropped their skis on the climb (unclipped when skiing, fell when attaching to backpack, fell out of hands, came off when descending).

BUt sitting on the top is pretty weird!
Jamie

Date Posted: 15.54hrs on Fri 18 Apr 14
Alternatively, a ski tourer may have got to the top of An Socach, left their skis to go and suss out a suitable lunch spot, and returned to find their skis gone..? winking smiley tongue sticking out smiley
yehti

1st Aug 2014
Date Posted: 19.20hrs on Sun 20 Apr 14
Jamie Wrote:
Alternatively, a ski tourer may have got to the top of An Socach, left their skis to go and suss out a suitable lunch spot, and returned to find their skis gone..?

That did occur to me! They were sitting neatly side by side as if someone was about to come back for them. However the fact that we'd seen no sign of anyone else on the hill that day and there was pretty much no snow left made me confident that I wasn't going to leave some poor bloke wandering around searching for his skis. The uppers did look rather weathered and the edges were rusty.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: