You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Gartcoshyy

Last Visited: 12:16
19th Feb 2018
Lowther Hill Ski Tow!
Date Posted: 19.55hrs on Tue 15 Jul 14
[www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com]

Lowther Hill Ski Club are planning to install a tow next to the NATS Radar site!

Looks interesting!
moffatross

Re: Lowther Hill Ski Tow!
Date Posted: 20.46hrs on Tue 15 Jul 14
Yep, definitely ... The cleugh to the east of the lift is plenty steep and the aspects of the wide open slopes served by the lift will all be on the north. I've skied there a couple of times, the area collects snow well and access off the M74 is super-easy.

I was really surprised that something quite this interesting has stayed under the radar (pun kind of intended) for so long but glad there are dreamers and schemers around with a vision to make it happen.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of us happy to give them the support they need to get it up and running too and some nice snow to keep it going and viable. I'm certainly up for joining working parties between now and winter. smiling smiley
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.56hrs on Tue 15 Jul 14
Good to see the Harwood tow getting a potentially new life. Lowther hill is almost exactly the same height as yad moss but is north facing. I wish them well.

Close to Moffatross' neck of the woods?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.00hrs Tue 15 Jul 14 by PeterS.
moffatross

Date Posted: 10.40hrs on Wed 16 Jul 14
I don't know anything about the history of Harwood, Peter, but your comment on its similar elevation is interesting. Lowther is also well inland and it's a bit further north too ...
somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Wed 16 Jul 14
if they were in future able to add a second tow from where the bottom of the nearest-east cleuchs merge to near the proposed club hut, the 'offpiste' acerage would go up by quite some degree.
i've no idea of the snow retention nor thaw rate down that way though, so it could just be pie.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.46hrs on Wed 16 Jul 14
Undeveloped commercial plans from 1988 on the site: [www.lowtherhills.com]

Pity the tree planting hadn't happened then even if nothing else, as they'd definitely help the snow cover now.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.34hrs on Thu 17 Jul 14
Loving the typeface on the '88 report! Written on an Amstrad...they were the future once!

LowtherAnjo

Date Posted: 12.26hrs on Sat 19 Jul 14
Hi all,

Many thanks for your interest in the Lowther Hills. I'm the chair of the Ski Club, please do let me know if you have any questions about the project and I'll do my best to provide as much info as I can :-)

In the meantime, thanks to WinterHighland.info for retweeting about our new website, and I'd like to take this opportunity to let you know that the Ski Club is hosting a "Volunteer Open Day" on July 27th in Lowther Hill.

"Come along and enjoy a visit to the slopes before the works start in September. Meet new friends and like-minded people interested in snowsports, and find out how you could help to create and be part of the first ski centre in the South of Scotland."

More info:
[www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com]
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.47hrs on Sat 19 Jul 14
Tremendous news for skiers in D&G, the Borders, elsewhere in southern Scotland and anyone really keen that wants to get involved hands on with local skiing.

I've had so much fun over the years at Yad Moss and Raise and so have plenty of others. Despite the highly variable and usually frustrating conditions trying to ski south of the Highlands, when eventually it all comes together it is fabulous.

You will however need to be patient and enthusiastic, but I can confirm it does get into your blood.

Plenty also going on at Raise; new motor, new motor control, new fuel tank, wind turbine repaired etc. Also maintenance continuing at Yad Moss this summer; new summit elephant fence, another pylon being refurbished...... Looking forward to being a gang of five club fields again next year rather than four.

Very best wishes to the Lowther Hills Ski Club.
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 08.13hrs on Sun 20 Jul 14
What's the position with access? As I understand it, it's a private road up to the radar station so will it be a case of 'hoofing' it up from Wanlockhead?

Kind regards

Olderalan
LowtherAnjo

Date Posted: 10.59hrs on Thu 24 Jul 14
Hi Olderalan,

That's correct. The Radar road is privately owned and no public vehicular access is allowed.

However, the Lowther Hills Ski Club has permission to drive one vehicle on the Radar road for the purposes of maintaining and operating the facilities. The next thing on our list is to own a suitable vehicle to provide transportation between the village and the slopes.

We don't have the means yet, so members will have to walk up (and ski down) 1.5 miles on the Radar road for the time being. We are hoping however to be able to start providing lifts for families and young children this year on an occassional basis, whenever snow conditions and volunteer availability allows.
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.42hrs on Sat 26 Jul 14
Thanks for replying and for the additional info.

Kind regards

Olderalan
moffatross

Date Posted: 19.41hrs on Sun 27 Jul 14
With Alan, Jamie and snowplc, checking out some of the proposed ski runs above Wanlockhead today (the Canadian maple flies as part a memorial to the pilot of a WWII aircraft). Lots of work needs to be done to get it ready for this winter and assistance is sought by the club for working parties over the coming months but it will be worth it. The terrain served by the lifts is more diverse and on a grander scale than we'd thought and the views north to the village and the hills beyond are pretty awesome ...

stuart

Last Visited: 20:03
7th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.16hrs on Fri 1 Aug 14
I'm certainly looking forward to joining and helping out with this new exciting and local adventure.
moffatross

Date Posted: 21.57hrs on Thu 21 Aug 14
A few seasons ago now smiling smiley ... [www.youtube.com]
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: