You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
daveski

Last Visited: 10:01
28th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Yae or Nae what will be best for Scottish Skiing
Date Posted: 08.16hrs on Thu 11 Sep 14
some excellent debates going around at the moment - any thoughts on whether a Yes vote would be better for Scottish skiing
growwild

Re: Yae or Nae what will be best for Scottish Skiing
Date Posted: 00.10hrs on Fri 12 Sep 14
Should be in the main room tae lure out the orks..

[www.youtube.com] smiling smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.07hrs Sat 13 Sep 14 by growwild.
MartinT

Last Visited: 22:51
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 23.02hrs on Sat 13 Sep 14
Well if SNP had done the right thing and proposed a proper new currency.. and then if it devalued against the British Pound.. then you would potentially get more custom from South of the Border because the accommodation and the lift pass would be cheaper for the southern foreigners.

But the SNP did not propose a new currency so probably a Yes vote wouldn't make much difference other than loads of general uncertainty?

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.32hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
It's not about the SNP..................

........ I think the main difference it will make, a Yes vote, will be general investment in general infrastructure.

There is no way of denying the general decay that has pervaded every Scottish ski centre for a long time. Every one of the centres is great, and every one of them has ancient equipment which at times is falling to bits.

We need a new view of how key industries and key operators contribute to the general well being of an economy and region. This will not come from the London centric methods we have right now.

We shouldn't have to struggle and battle so much to keep things going.

I am hopeful for the future.
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.59hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
I am hopeful for the future too !

I hope to get to Cobbs at HIS for a scone and a Latte....

I hope to visit Tiso's afterwards for new insoles for my Salomon Trainers....

I hope this lovely weather continues !

Yes, I am hopeful for the future too !

Freeheel

Last Visited: 12:20
22nd Dec 2016
Date Posted: 10.51hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
I think if interest in Scottish skiing is energised in the same way that it has been in politics of late then the result will be very positive.smiling smiley At the moment hangover risk must be deemed as high though!

Growwild; hilarious video, smoking smiley where was Lady Alba?
growwild

Date Posted: 12.07hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
Haha, just watched Lady Alba for the first time, she's better than the original.

I'm surprised that whore of a Scotsman rag and the rest of state media has not ran a "Snow To leave In The Result Of A Yes" headline or that the 'Arms Dealers For No' group aint said we will have tae melt doon aw the tows tae make ball bearings for our catapults tae defend ourselves against the baddies they arm...

[www.youtube.com] One of the best I've seen on how tae be a muppet and how tae change...

It'd be good tae have a poll on here asking if its a YES or a Stay On Yer Knees and wit resorts they frequent.

My money is on Cairngorms being for knee pads and Glencoe being the first republic...
MartinT

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.59hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
"It's not about the SNP.................. "

Sure seems like it is on the news south of the border!

Anyway, I'm not so sure ski areas count as 'general infrastructure' so I'd be surprised (pleasantly so) to see it on the top of the priority list if there's a Yes (or a No for that matter).

Only way I think the resorts will see significant ski-related infrastructure improvement is if there are above average snowy/cool winters for say 5 years in a row only then might it be deemed enough potential return on investment to do so - when the met-office is advising of long term global warming, what sane management would invest heavily in ski-areas? Perhaps a Scottish Met-Office could predict something different..

growwild

Date Posted: 21.52hrs on Sun 14 Sep 14
If we invest in the lifts now we can get the benefit of a decent lift system, then by the time the coconuts and bananas reach maturity they can be used for shifting them aff the hills..

The news - [wingsoverscotland.com]

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 10.32hrs on Mon 15 Sep 14
One of my positives about self-government, is that it makes Govt more accessible. I can think of two cases in my own business. - But here's one recent example to consider which impacts skiing at Glenshee...

Do you recall that the new (Baddoch Chair) lift missed an entire season due to a procedural delay. (Planning, materials & funds were in place). - But the DoT in London did not permit the start of construction in a timely manner. That was because they had to recruit an appropriate engineer to vet the design. It took them a year to release the design for construction , despite it being a very routine installation. It was a lack in their competence, and lack of importance to them.

By contrast the cableway installed for London 2012 experienced no such delays.

My point is, that if such serivces are HQ'd in Edinburgh, you can go knock the door & discuss expediting your case. - A proper Govt in Edinburgh is more accessible & accountable to Scots. So that would aid future ski developments, in that sense at least.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10.35hrs Mon 15 Sep 14 by HTH.
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 11.05hrs on Mon 15 Sep 14
"when the met-office is advising of long term global warming, what sane management would invest heavily in ski-areas?"

Same could be said for many alpine resorts. Glenshee and Glencoe have reinvested quite a bit in piste machines and some new/second hand lifts (glenshee) in recent years.
I don't think a yes or no vote would have much impact for snow sports, although as has been stated things may progress faster at the planning stage and there may be some grants available for some stuff..who knows!.

MartinT

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.58hrs on Mon 15 Sep 14
Andy Wrote:

Same could be said for many alpine resorts. Glenshee and Glencoe have reinvested quite a bit in piste machines and some new/second hand lifts (glenshee) in recent years.
I don't think a yes or no vote would have much impact for snow sports, although as has been stated things may progress faster at the planning stage and there may be some grants available for some stuff..who knows!.

Low Alpine resorts tend to have less wind = open more = more revenue. They also usually have better snowmaking facilities. High windy alpine resorts are probably high enough not to be affected too much by any climate change in the next 10 years or so..

But yes HTH makes a good argument for more effective local government, but could something like that not be sorted without going the whole independence hog with all its attendent divisiveness?
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 12.13hrs on Tue 16 Sep 14
"Low Alpine resorts tend to have less wind = open more = more revenue. They also usually have better snowmaking facilities."
Snow making is very expensive which is why many of the smaller lower alpine resorts have closed or struggled in recent years.
If I had money to spend on new ski lifts they would have to be chairs so they could serve another purpose i'e sightseers/walkers or MTB ing.

As we've seen in catalonia the promise of "devo max" type powers can be thrown out or blocked at a later date.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.17hrs on Tue 16 Sep 14
HTH Wrote:

By contrast the cableway installed for London 2012 experienced no such delays.

Is that not because the Baddoch Chair had effectively paved the way? First new person rated aerial ropeway under new regulations is slow, second is fast. If you believe an Edinburgh based civil service would be any better I have a bridge to sell you.

Given a different currency, need for travel insurance and international car insurance to visit the Scottish Ski Centres in an independent Scotland if you are living in London or the South East, then I would be more inclined to visit Vosges which are just as near and now have the same hassles in terms of visiting a foreign country as Scotland would acquire post independence, coupled with better more reliable skiing. I would say that an independent Scotland is likely to lead to lower visitor numbers from the remainder of the U.K.
growwild

Date Posted: 21.11hrs on Tue 16 Sep 14
I would say that an independent Scotland would attract more international visitors, summer and winter..

We have the same currency now and nae need for insurance etc. The majority of folk in the south east and London ski where?

Would a new currency be good or bad for the pound?

Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: