You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:17 of 18
Sunshine

Last Visited: 18:41
3rd May 2019
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2015
Date Posted: 15.36hrs on Sat 23 May 15
The top should be open for you. The public has paid £26 million so far for the railway. Your photographs are ample evidence that the closed system has not been brought in for conservation reasons. Get on to your MP and the National Park access officers. Lovely photos.

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.38hrs on Sat 23 May 15
Obviously a lot of Guided MTB Descents taking place...so therefore it must be safe to Surmise that CG/NR have dropped another clanger here ? Methinks more money could have been made this Holiday Weekend from Skiing ?

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.40hrs on Sat 23 May 15
Lost equipment.

Oh fiddle sticks was not what I said when went to strap my skis back on to my pack to head down from the mid station. I have lost my G3 ski strap that holds the skis together at the tips when carrying them. Two possible places, may be when I got kitted up just below the torr or the top station when I got my lunch out.

It is approximately 30cm long x 2cm wide, maroon in colour, made of stretchy plastic with holes along its length and a black plastic clip at the end. G3 in white printing.

If you find it could you PM me or hand it into the ticket office, they know it is mine and I am looking for it.

Thanks.

Graeme.

Could be here (two other winterhighlanders here) This is where I got kitted up to ski over the back. I was last to ski down so it could be lying at the edge of the snow.

Or here

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15.47hrs Sat 23 May 15 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: below torr.JPG (198kB)   Below Torr.JPG (299kB)  
Gorminator

11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.45hrs on Sat 23 May 15
Sunshine Wrote:
The top should be open for you. The public has paid £26 million so far for the railway. Your photographs are ample evidence that the closed system has not been brought in for conservation reasons. Get on to your MP and the National Park access officers. Lovely photos.

Must be well in excess of 26 million Sunshine......especially when taken into the equation is that HIE are Paying the bulk of the Fitter's Wages for this Summer and Autumn !

h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.01hrs on Sat 23 May 15
I've got your strap Graeme smiling smiley You'd left it sitting on the rock just below the tor, but by the time I got back to the car park - I went by the west wall - the base station was shut.

I'd planned to be a bit earlier and catch the blue sky but the best laid plans....and I detoured via Aviemore police station on the way down ! Worst bit of driving I've witnessed in a long time and within a whisker of a two lorry , two car minimum pile up.

I was tootling along at 50 a good bit behind the first lorry when a young guy in grey mini came up my back and overtook me on the bend coming out of Slochd heading south- that spooked me cause as there were two trucks in front and the bend goes to the left no way could he have seen ahead. Then just as the road opens out before the layby on the left he overtook again but obviously didn't realise there were two trucks together and the poor family in a silver/grey car coming north had to mount the kerb and verge to avoid him. He was then straight out again overtaking the next vehicle !

Was cursing my useless memory for numbers because I could only remember part of his registration.

Learnt something about the cameras though because I'd assumed they imaged all the cars but the PC said they only throw up the registrations of the cars that are speeding. She said as he was going south she'd pass it on to Tayside!

I was still shaking by the time I reached Cairngorm although I'd hung well back after he'd overtaken me so I wasn't at risk but I so felt for the poor family heading north and it doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened.

Graeme I can drop your strap off at the ticket office next time I'm down or I could hand it into Shona after work one day next week. You can let me know

Helen

Gorminator

11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.08hrs on Sat 23 May 15
Errr no Helen ! That WPC was talking TOSH !

These Cameras work in pairs, with each one taking a scan of the reg plate......Therefore it is time over distance...NOT as lots obviously think (going by the amount that brake when they are almost on the Camera Sites) an instant speed measurement by the Yellow Vulture !

H O P

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 20.24hrs on Sat 23 May 15
I expressed that wrong George- should have said thrown up cars that have been travelling at above the average speed for the distance between cameras. That's what she said and that's what I meant when I said speeding above. I kind of assumed all registrations were clocked and kept for a while so they could actually track cars.

Helen

growwild

Date Posted: 01.15hrs on Sun 24 May 15
I thought they were ANPR cameras, always watching... The storm troopers doon here widnae be interested in that and they'd make some polite enough excuse if you talked to one of the 15%, the rest would have telt ya tae f-off or jailed ya for a breach or whatever they could get away with...

Yous are just getting the excuses up there now, once aw the wee highland bobbies are properly herr hoosed, yer aw in for it...

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 07.25hrs on Sun 24 May 15
h11lly Wrote:
I've got your strap Graeme You'd left it sitting on the rock just below the tor, but by the time I got back to the car park - I went by the west wall - the base station was shut.

Graeme I can drop your strap off at the ticket office next time I'm down or I could hand it into Shona after work one day next week. You can let me know

Helen

That's great Helen, that was where I was talking to extreamskier and Angus, I would loose my skis if they were not attached to my feet. I was wondering why I had not seen you, it sounds like a horrific journey down.

What ever is the easiest for you either dropping it off with Shona or the ticket office. Or drop in for coffee after your slide, we are just round the corner from OlderAlans house.

How was the west wall? I headed down using the Cas and walked out using home road.

Graeme

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 09.14hrs on Sun 24 May 15
I'll hand the strap in to Shona, Graeme.

West wall was nice crunchy spring snow. smiling smiley The strip leading across from the foot of the Ciste Bowl to the Ciste tow is very narrow now and will probably break today or tomorrow. You've a walk from the first tower on the Ciste tow across to the third from the top tower of the West Wall chair to the snow now. However the length of the west wall run is much the same as it has been.
Wasn't the first yesterday - some tracks on it smiling smiley

Helen

SWIMMER

Last Visited: 13:54
15th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 11.11hrs on Mon 25 May 15
Great photos Graeme and Helen. I'll need to try and get up soon, looks like there is loads still.

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 22.12hrs on Thu 4 Jun 15
It's not often that MWIS gets it so wrong ! Was expecting summer on my wander today but rain and mist was the order of the day and cold too. However the rain made for a great surface to ski with no stickiness smiling smiley

I walked up Windy Ridge then skinned up the Ptarmigan traverse to the top of the half pipe then walked across to the snow just below the tor where it was hard to see in front of you ! However there's still extensive snow fields and you can ski down to just above Loch Avon with a small horizontal walk linking the fields about half way down.

Back up then I skied the north side of Ciste Mhearad but the south side would give longer ski. Was a bit apprehensive of the steep bank on the south side as it was pea soup when I was heading down ! The starting snow is much higher up than it normally is in June.

Back over to the ski area and down the Ptarmigan traverse for a coffee then down the top bowls and into the upper Ciste Gully. I stopped so I had a level walk across to the West Wall snow that starts at the fourth chairlift tower from the top and continues to the fourth tower from the bottom.

Probably the best snow since the last day the lifts ran...but it was raining then too winking smiley
Some photos [www.flickr.com]

Helen

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 08.01hrs on Thu 11 Jun 15
Wednesday was an absolute stunner of a day, Warm, deep blue sky and a hint of a breeze to keep you from passing out with heat exhaustion.

Arriving in the car park around 10:15 looking up there is still snow in the upper cas but be had other ideas.
The plan was an hour and a half walk over to Coire an Lochain to ski down the shoulder. Nothing works out to plan and it turned in to a mammoth 8 hour round trip hike over to Ben Macdui. Just as well I had packed my long distance food and kit!

There are still extensive snow fields on the eastern flanks of Macdui and this is where we headed to. Unfortunately what looked good was slow and sticky but the views more than made up of the disappointing snow conditions. The patches on the way back were actually better with more granulated sugar.

summit of Macdui

Snow field down the east side

Summer skiing in Scotland, John on the skyline,

Our last slide was into Coire an Lachain high on the west side flank. Entering here was tricky as the ground is unstable. The sense of hight looking down to the Loch is quite unnerving. Definitely gives you the collywobbles even before putting your skis on. The snow here was good quality dry spring snow giving an excellent ski down.

looking over to the great slab, the fore ground shows you how steep the entrance is to the patch, a bit unnerving with the ground unstable here.

Was it worth it, you bet!

I would loved to have done it again but it was getting late and there was still a long walk out from here to get back to the centre.

Trying to chose 5 pictures to post from the day was very hard indeed. They are some crackers.

Still excellent skiing in the Cairngorms, get out there!

Graeme

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.10hrs Thu 11 Jun 15 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: The tracks.JPG (282kB)   Great Slab.JPG (305kB)   macdui.JPG (256kB)   John.JPG (244kB)   East Macdui.JPG (285kB)  
eric

Last Visited: 18:40
6th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.03hrs on Thu 11 Jun 15
Great pikkies Graeme, and clearly a fantastic day out. Just thinking about your 8-hour slog carrying skis, boots, food, drink and all the other bits and bobs makes me feel totally knackered!

Eric

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.17hrs on Thu 11 Jun 15
You are right Eric totally exhausting in the heat and the kit on our backs. I was going to cycle up the ski road today to sample the free food but feeling a bit sore and burnt round the edges so went down the farm instead.

Current Page:17 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: