You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
£25m resort development at Nevis Range
Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Sat 18 Oct 14
Proposals for a £25 million forest & mountain resort in Leanachan Forest, comprising the base area of Nevis and the surrounding woodland including the existing Rural Complex are set to be unveiled to the public on 4th November.

A public presentation will be staged at 3pm in the Pinemarten Cafe Bar at Nevis Range on Tuesday 4th November with HIE and the Forestry Commission.

The proposed resort will be phased, but ultimately is intended to include a “world-class” five-star hotel offering spectacular views of the Nevis Range. Luxury lodges will be accompanied by alternative low impact cabins/lodges in the forest as well as a new campsite (that will be good for the midges).

Edited 5 times. Last edit at 16.14hrs Sat 18 Oct 14 by alan.

Attachments: nevis-range-resort-restaurant.jpg (151kB)  
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: £25m resort development at Nevis Range
Date Posted: 16.56hrs on Sat 18 Oct 14
This means to me that Natural Retreats with the backing ? of HIE (yes them) are going to have to get their finger out up on Cairngorm.........

Never mind rename-ing established Mountain Facilities at the whim of one person (I can't help it if she can't reply to pertinent E-mails either) just get on with developing the place !!

Or have HIE sold Natural Retreats another basket case ?

Looks like Nevis Range and the surrounding area can only succeed with this one, and meanwhile Cairngorm Faffs about with Walk To The Top and Bike To The Bottom ! Whilst being strangled with the VMP !!!

Perhaps it's time to put rafters and a roof and a water supply and a 240v/110v supply to the Grouse Butt instead of trying to con people into paying for a Car Park that in certain parts looks like a scale model of The Grand Canyon or the transition from the Ross Sea to the Antarctic Ice Shelf !!

Come on Cairngorm....some weeks ago one of your "Agents" invited me to get my walking stick out of my arse.......now I am asking you yet again to get your finger out of yours and do something relevant to the longevity and re-incarnation of the Mountain !!

moffatross

Date Posted: 17.23hrs on Sat 18 Oct 14
Quite a lot more info here ...

[scotland.forestry.gov.uk]

I'm sure it means nothing, but interestingly, one of NR's 'properties' was quoted in the above.

somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 18.05hrs on Sat 18 Oct 14
a lengthy read, someone has been doing their homework though.
the scale/impact of the planned developments seems to be a bit bigger than £25m would suggest.
maybe it'll light a fire up someone's arse at NR/HIE/CML and then there'll be a glenmore gondola after all. hahahaha, sorry.

either way, someone will make a killing selling smidge.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Sun 19 Oct 14
Wow : big plans.....

Probably makes (financial) sense. It is generally accepted the world over that it is hard to make money running ski lifts : you need to provide some swanky lodges or 5 star hotels for the big bucks....

Sounds very much like a Fort William equivalent of Colyumbridge or the Aviemore centre? Personally I am no huge fan of such large scale commercial developments - but they do bring obvious economic benefit and year round tourism to the highlands.

Obvious question : who is providing the £25 million funding ? HIE / Forestry commission have published their vision for the area in the document above. My guess is that it will tendered out to the highest bidder ? (as happened at Glentress mountain biking). So the likes of Natural Retreats or the Hilton will no doubt be sniffing about if they think there is money to be made.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Mon 20 Oct 14
It seems to me that there will be a lot of empty rooms in winter (and associated financial losses from fixed staffing costs) if the ski area has no snow. So I would see this development as providing a big incentive for the installation of a decent snow making system on the mountain. Let's hope they are already considering this!

The hotel part of the development reminds me of Alyeska in Alaska:

[www.alyeskaresort.com]

The ski area at Alyeska (which I visited in Summer a few years ago) is comparable in size to Nevis and the cable car runs straight form the hotel car park. There's also a village nestled in the forest nearby with further accommodation and separate lift access.

growwild

Date Posted: 20.08hrs on Mon 20 Oct 14
Looks awright, that's if they don't flood the place with concrete for all their trails and car parks that might hardly get used..

When Nevis has snow it's still quiet compared tae the others, plenty of affordable accommodation will get more up the hill as the folk paying for 'luxury' will probably not be staying there for a luxury skiing holiday..

It can only be a good thing for the ski area and should bring in more punters and investment, it might even get the town centre sorted out.....

somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.46hrs on Mon 20 Oct 14
growwild Wrote:

When Nevis has snow it's still quiet compared tae the others, plenty of affordable accommodation will get more up the hill as the folk paying for 'luxury' will probably not be staying there for a luxury skiing holiday..

i've been up there when the car parks have been full and it's drop-off only, and it's a whole other world when it comes to tow queues. certainly there are moderate waits, but everyone gets so spread out lapping the runs they like and have the skills for, it never seems to feel congested.

i got to wondering if nevis were to think about installing a new tow, where would it be best? they've got the current acreage covered, really.

glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 22.27hrs on Wed 22 Oct 14
A wee link tow somehow to braveheart smiling smiley The chair can be lapped by most skiers, but accessed by not as many

DrHosking

Last Visited: 16:08
18th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 10.10hrs on Thu 23 Oct 14
Looks like a great proposal, obviously taken note of responses to the questionaire they put out a while ago. Always wondered why we couldn't create a mountain resort type development here when it has been done succcessfully many times in the USA, Canada and Europe.This would really put Nevis Range on the map as a year round outdoor pursuits destination. The fact that you couldn't stay on site and had to drive or bus into the Scottish resorts from the nearest town / accomodation always put them at a mssive disadvantage for me.

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.28hrs on Thu 23 Oct 14
Just as long as they call the cafe "98"

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 15.07hrs on Mon 3 Nov 14
The public presentation of the concepts behind this proposed development is tomorrow (Tuesday 4th) in the afternoon from 2-7pm, with a formal presentation at 3pm in the Pine Marten Cafe at the base of the Nevis Range Gondola.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.10hrs Mon 3 Nov 14 by alan.

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 20.34hrs on Mon 3 Nov 14
If anyone is planning on being there then please say hello......George, Alan, me and Mrs Olderalan will be in the Pinemarten from about 13.30hrs.
Lunch first and then the formal presentation at 15.00hrs. Looking forward to seeing their positive proposals.

Kind regards

OlderAlan

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.35hrs Mon 3 Nov 14 by Olderalan.

mtq1000

Last Visited: 18:19
15th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.33hrs on Wed 5 Nov 14
Any info on what is being proposed? Anything with direct impact on the facilities on-hill or is it all down in the forest?

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Wed 5 Nov 14
The proposals are for developments within Leanachan Forest. Principally a 4/5 star hotel and spa and various lodge style accommodations. There is provision for a 50% increase in parking space at Nevis Range. It's Forestry Commission Scotland who are the drivers as they own the land. They envisage attracting an investor[s] to come in and build the development[s].
The benefit to Nevis Range would be the potential increase to their business from having fairly significant numbers of customers on their doorstep.
There are no direct plans for improvements on the hill that are associated with this Masterplan.
[www.forestry.gov.uk]

Kind regards

Olderalan

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: