You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:6 of 22
tim1mw

Re: Glencoe Snow 2015
Date Posted: 08.12hrs on Thu 22 Jan 15
igloo4you Wrote:
tim1mw,

Sorry if you weren't aware of that we will look at a sign tomorrow but the girls in the ticket office were telling all customers the time for our last uplift on the access chair. If they missed you I can only apologise. That last uplift time is designed to ensure we get all customers of the hill before dark and it allows our staff focus on getting people down the chair.

Thanks igloo4you. I don't recall being told the closing time when I bought my ticket on either monday or tuesday. I think it's easy to forget things when you have a queue of people waiting. However, if I fail to read a clear sign, then I only have myself to blame.

Jag

Last Visited: 22:42
12th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 21.03hrs on Thu 22 Jan 15
Fantastic day on the hill today. Great to meet you igloo4you and great to see the positivity and efforts being made at Glencoe. A real highlight skiing powder to the car park.

fredski

Last Visited: 12:38
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 12.13hrs on Fri 23 Jan 15
Photos from yesterday.

[flic.kr]

kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Sun 25 Jan 15
Looks like from the the base webcam quite a bit of snowloss on access runs, hopefully this mild spell will be the last for now before colder conditions return.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Sun 1 Feb 15
A day quite a few never went above the Top of the Access Chair, with riding to the carpark via the fenced Red Access Run and the other side of the Chair / River gorge graded black.

^Looking down the Black Access Run to skiers left of the Access Chair and river.

Full Report & Pix: [www.winterhighland.info]

pavlf

Last Visited: 00:09
6th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 11.34hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Hello. it's been a while since I posted on here.

I'm heading up to Glencoe and Nevis (maybe) on Friday with a four-year old kiddie. Can anyone tell me what the crack is with a wee one? He's never been skiing before so I'm thinking to take him on the (normally) dry slope at the bottom for a while on Friday afternoon and then maybe up the chair on the second day. Is this the way forward? If I go up the chair will I be able to take him up the plateau pomma between my legs and then ski him over the the beginner's area? What's the general recommendation for what to do with a little kid? I've been to Glencoe a lot so I know what it's like and would ordinarily head for Glenshee or Nevis with a kid, but seeing as there's snow to the bottom I thought I give it a go at Glencoe - it's just that I've no idea what people do there with small kids.

All advice gratefully accepted!

domesticated-dad

Last Visited: 13:38
19th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 14.32hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
It may depend on how comfortable you are with taking a 4 year old on a lift. The access chair is easy enough. I used to carry my child on my lap on the cliffy and between my legs on the drag lifts- no problem. The lifties at both areas will assist as required. Personally, I would head for Glencoe and use the plateau poma.It's a nice slope and you're handy for toilets and cafes.

pavlf

6th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 15.13hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Great, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm totally comfortable with taking him on lifts, but was thinking to 'acclimatise' him at the bottom first and then up the chair/poma on the second day. If it's fine with lifties to take him between my legs then it's more than fine with me! Thanks again.

glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 19.36hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Is this weekend the mid term holidays? Is the rannoch button still being worked on, or is it good to go? It makes a huge difference to the queues.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.16hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Midterm proper doesn't start until 14th Feb. Yes that's the plan to have the button running when we need it. With skiing to the carpark the fact that many peopel spend the day on the Access chair makes more difference to queues than having the button running so as long as we still have car park skiing queues not really expected to be an issue.

IanF

Last Visited: 07:23
19th Apr 2018
Date Posted: 20.21hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Glasgow school holidays next week, Edinburgh the week after is my understanding.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Our kids on holiday from this Friday - so I'm yer madness spans 2 weekends then

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.41hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
So, the family Bomp are heading up to the Coe: parking our caravan Thursday night and then skiing on Friday.
What advice can Winterhighlanders give a family (mostly intermediate-expert but with a 4y.o. beginner) about skiing the Coe? To my shame I haven't been there for years, possibly linked to the fact that the few times I did go back in the 90s I never actually saw the place...
Clues on the likely weather and conditions? I was expecting continued high pressure dominance but I just looked at the met forecast and it's got at least some snow forecast on a few days. Including Friday...
Anyone with experience of pitching vans at the Coe, tips would be welcome too.

pavlf

6th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 09.51hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Well I had a great time with my sub-4 year-old at the weekend. I somehow didn't think Glencoe would be much cop for a small kid, but after visiting Nevis for a day and weighing up the pros and cons of the two Glencoe is loads better (if the weather is OK - the larger cafe might swing it in bad weather). We spent most of the time paddling around outside the cafe at Glencoe (good rendezvous point too) where it's reasonably flat and you can find a good run-out and also took occasional trips over to the plateau poma and back. It's fine taking a kid up the plateau poma between your legs. There's also a rope tow but it's seriously hard work hanging onto that thing with a mini person. All in all it's just great at Glencoe. For everyone.

moffatross

Date Posted: 13.58hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
A few views from Friday ...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.00hrs Mon 9 Feb 15 by moffatross.

Current Page:6 of 22
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: