You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
SCGB and Glencoe
Date Posted: 21.20hrs on Tue 4 Nov 14
I know some in these parts think that SCGB are a bunch of southern toffs who could not give a dam about Scottish skiing. I think £5000 to Glencoe to pay for a helicopter to airlift debris from the mountain (according to my November edition of Ski and Board) would show that to be falsehood any sensible person already knew.
growwild

Re: SCGB and Glencoe
Date Posted: 11.23hrs on Wed 5 Nov 14
Is Glencoe now going to offer fox hunting?
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Re: SCGB and Glencoe
Date Posted: 14.39hrs on Wed 5 Nov 14
Not clear where the money was allocated from. No mention of it on the SCGB 'Respect the Mountain'/environmental fund page ...
[www.skiclub.co.uk]

I assume the £5000 came out of SCGB general funds, since this appears to be non-charitable (in terms of any tax advantage) to a non-charity destination, but it would be interesting to have clarification of that. The SCGB environmental fund was established (10 years ago) essentially to fund environmental projects overseen by charitable/academic/non-profit bodies etc. - The Woodland Trust was a principal benefactor from the outset, in line with declared SCGB policy of funding "long-term tree-planting".

N.B. Obviously, like most skiers of Scottish mountains, I'm very much in favour of junk being cleared off the hill! [and was on the SCGB Environmental Working Group for its first 3 years]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.40hrs Wed 5 Nov 14 by David Goldsmith.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: