You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:3 of 7
somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Re: Nevis Range Snow 2015
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
sredna100 Wrote: On the front there is loads of snow and the quality of pisting seems to have improved greatly this season which will be a big PLUS for the holiday skiers.

they've got two new drivers, kiwis, driving der pistenbullies i believe. always nice to see multiple widths with no deathcookie seams.

Homer

Last Visited: 15:49
22nd Jan 2017
Date Posted: 20.07hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Hi all. If you buy a full area day ticket at NR how many times can you go up and down the gondola? Is it once/twice/unlimited? Thanx

Jamizon

Last Visited: 13:21
3rd Nov 2023
Date Posted: 20.12hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Homer Wrote:
Hi all. If you buy a full area day ticket at NR how many times can you go up and down the gondola? Is it once/twice/unlimited? Thanx

I believe it's unlimited, but you must have hand stamped if you want to do it more than once.

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.29hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Out of interest
I see the rob Roy t-Bar is shown as open
But not the great glen chair,
So how do people get to the t-bar ?

Chris H

Last Visited: 23:59
13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
telemarker Wrote:
Out of interest
I see the rob Roy t-Bar is shown as open
But not the great glen chair,
So how do people get to the t-bar ?

Via the traverse from the top of Alpha lift, it's called Macpherson's and is marked on the pistemap.

[snowsports.nevisrange.co.uk]

mannys1210

Last Visited: 14:50
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 22.54hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
I've often wondered what the point of the great glen chair is. It just seems to go nowhere. Can someone tell me why it was installed where it is?

muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 11.20hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
Agreed Mannys,

I've always thought the provision of chairs at Nevis to be really odd.

Chairlifts are in short supply in Scotland, we only have 9 operational and 2 mothballed chairs over our 5 resorts. Chairs are the uplift of choice for most large resorts with the finance to buy them, but of our 11 chairs, only 6 are regularly used.

2 of the chairs largely unused are at Nevis, and these are relatively new by Scottish standards. I can't work out why these chairs wern't placed where the Alpha Button and Goose T-bar are. They would have been much more useful in these locations and be open almost all the time. It would have also made Nevis a very attractive resort, especially for boarders and beginners who either struggle or get fatigued using surface lifts.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.21hrs Thu 5 Feb 15 by muzza.

somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 16.17hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
muzza Wrote:
I can't work out why these chairs wern't placed where the Alpha Button and Goose T-bar are.

wind.

Date Posted: 01.04hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
Forgot to mention - visited Nevis for the first time on Wednesday (finally completing the five Highland centres), and had a fantastic time. With the gondola, snow-covered trees, gentle winds and low temperatures it had a very Alpine feel. Having no queues for ski hire, passes or lifts (at all!) was a rare treat - especially hire. The staff were also the friendliest I've ever experienced at any of the resorts.

Where pisted, the snow was fantastic. Some of the runs off the Quad and Goose were so wide and smooth you could really zoom down them. The piste bashers were out all day too, and we even ended the day with a full run of fresh corduroy to the gondola station. Summit and Rob Roy runs also had great snow, and so did Alpha although cosmetically not perfect. The blacks by the closed Warrens lift (accessible via the Summit lift and Switch red run) were unpisted with crusty, uneven powder. Skiing to the car park also looked doable (with tracks visible) but I wasn't confident about knowing where to go.

Nevis Range answered a poster on Facebook about why they haven't replaced the Goose T-bar with a chairlift. They gave wind as the reason, although the Goose does seem relatively sheltered.

Having said that, I agree that the Great Glen chair is in a funny place. It seems a bit redundant, and the chairs weren't even on the cables when I was there on Wednesday. Indeed, the lift station by the gondola was full up with equipment and machinery! There also seems a bit of a surplus of beginner lifts - Linnhe, Lochy and Rope Tow all in the same place seems a bit OTT.

Jamie

Date Posted: 02.57hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
The reason for the Great Glen Chair:

Spike's dream for Nevis Range was to have the top Gondola Station not sited where it is now, but to have it sited in what is now the back corries. It was to be in the area known as the tennis courts near the foot of Spikes/Summit Gully, with all uplift commencing from there.

When that wasn't possible due to limitations in funding, the development was moved onto what is now the front of the mountain (this became "Phase 1" of the Nevis Range development: the original five lifts; Goose T-Bar, Summit Button, Quad Chairlift, Alpha Button and the Gondola).

There was still the dream of developing into the back corries, and the Great Glen Chairlift was intended to be the precursor to the broader "Phase 2" Development: it was to be the beginning of a lift network that was to link the front of the hill with future intended development in the back corries.

In the event, when money was not available to complete the plans, the Great Glen Chairlift was left somewhat marooned, and the Braveheart Chairlift was thrown up out of a complete lack of funds and the desire to realise at least some of Phase 2.

The story is told on the giant piste map and lift status board mounted on the Great Glen Chairlift drive building: "Lifts J, K, L, P, Q, R, S - PROPOSED".

Jamie

1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.10hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
Is anyone heading into the backs on Sunday? Will be up and looking for someone to show me around if possible

sredna100

Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
Usually a few of us heading round, planning Summit gully this weekend for sure, You got skins ? and avi kit ?
Check out others round that way too. Coire Dubh goes without question of course.

1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.03hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
I've got skins but never used them before and avi kit yeah

balernoStu

Date Posted: 17.36hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
Anyone know why the Warrens t-bar is closed, and if it might run at the weekend?

sredna100

Date Posted: 18.20hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
Greetings Stu, long time nae see !!

They were putting T-bars + boxes on Monday and it was turning , they had about a third of them on Mon pm, thought it might go Sat, disappointing its not, makes lapping the backs of lower Coire Dubh half the time of going right round by the summit. Maybe hit a snag ?

1873Chris send a PM for Sunday

Cheers.

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:3 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: