You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
A82 Roadworks - Any latest news on completion?
Date Posted: 11.04hrs on Mon 8 Dec 14
I was up at the Glencoe Snowbringer festival on Saturday (great event btw) and got to say I was disappointed to see the roadworks at Pulpit Rock and Crianlarich are not quite finished :-( (I vaguely remember Autumn 2014 for Crianlarich and summer 2014 for Pulpit roack completion, but I could be way wrong there)

The Crianlarich stretch looks nearly there, but some road surfacing and landscaping at least required - but Pulpit Rock (clearly a huge piece of engineering with the road built out across the water now) - looks as if it has a way to go.

I'm guessing the contractors will have maybe 2, maybe 4 week break over Christmas/early January (as is common in the construction industry). Which makes me wonder when the work will be completed in both cases

Any ideas?

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Re: A82 Roadworks - Any latest news on completion?
Date Posted: 11.30hrs on Mon 8 Dec 14
Sspeirs,

Crainlarich stretch definitely meant to be open for Christmas from what I have heard.

Pulpit rock I would agree looks like it has many months of work still to go.

sspeirs

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Mon 8 Dec 14
thanks

I did check Transport Scotland web site and it's not clear - latest dates there are "winter" for Pulpit Rock and December for Crianlarich. Hoping they get the latter done by Christmas

I did also see plans to assess the options for upgrading the A82 Tarbet to Invererran but that is clearly a much longer term project - proposals due in mid 2015. Wonder if I'll still be skiing when that finishes, hope so!

sspeirs

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.08hrs on Mon 22 Dec 14
just an update for those interested. I was up at Glencoe for the season opening on Saturday and the roadworks have made good progress:

(1) Pulpit rock - looks like they are starting to tarmac the new section of road. Good progress. I'm no expert but still looks like a bit of work remaining to finish the tarmac (road where the single lane currently is, is a real mess and will need serious re-surfacing) and tidy this area up - but light on the horizon for this one. It has been one lane for 30 years I read so another month or so is not a big deal.

(2) Crianlarich by-pass - road works look complete and looks like they are tidying up/landscaping. Hopefully not long now. Transport Scotland web site still saying completion in Dec 2014.

sspeirs

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.45hrs on Mon 11 May 15
complete at long last according to Transport Scotland. Way over original project schedule but when I watched the progress over the winter, including cutting some of the rock face away, I guess I could understand why.

Attachments: pulpit rock.jpg (47kB)  
brianwr

Last Visited: 20:09
26th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Mon 11 May 15
I drove up Loch Lomond on Saturday and over both sections. Pulpit rock's like a wee mini alpine style elevated section on stilts.

Andy28

Last Visited: 22:01
9th Mar 2021
What's this?
Date Posted: 06.13hrs on Tue 12 May 15
Project to be finished on 32nd julember

sspeirs

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.19hrs on Sat 18 Jul 15
came across this on future upgrade of A82 from Tarbet to Inverarnan -seems that they have decided on upgrading the existing route after investigating but rejecting alternative new routes

[forargyll.com]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: