You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:4 of 13
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Re: Glenshee Snow 2015
Date Posted: 23.50hrs on Sat 17 Jan 15
Snow conditions look cracking, I found this video from youtube, It will give you an idea how good the snow quality is [www.youtube.com]
StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 05.58hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
hillbillyhoopla Wrote:
Four fannies and a cameraman on Carn Na Sac today... Any one know what was going on?

BBC Winterwatch have been based at Mar Lodge Estate for the last week and are broadcasting live next week. It was probably them shooting content for next week.
mattt

Last Visited: 15:50
26th Feb 2020
Date Posted: 09.16hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
I was up at Glenshee yesterday, and echo many of the comments already posted. It was a day that promised much with the conditions, but delivered very little unfortunately.

Arrived at car park at 9 am. Queued for about 40 mins to get tickets, and then a further 40 mins for the Baddoch chair as we were supposed to be meeting friends up there. However it kept breaking down when we were almost at the front of the queue. Someone, would arrive and fix it, then disappear immediately, only for it to break down again, and then we'd wait another 10 minutes for him to reappear to try and sort the problem. Gave up and hiked up instead, only to discover the mother of all queues for Butcharts T-Bar. Think that this was when it got tangled as previously mentioned.

So went over to Sunnyside instead, and had first run just after 11am, 2 hours after arriving. Not impressed at all.

Heard that queues beyond Sunnyside were dreadful, so just stayed and looped it for a few hours, typically queuing 20 mins each time. About 1.30 headed back over road, and waited in (organised) 4 line queue for Butcharts for about 40 mins. Was about to give up and head home after when I noticed that they were opening Tiger, so queued another 30 mins for it, and had 1 run down before finally deciding I couldn't face any more, and left about 3pm. All in all I managed 12 runs, skiing 6.3 miles, probably my least productive day ever at Glenshee. At least they didn't charge full price though (Adult & 2 kids was £58).

I don't want to be too critical of the management at Glenshee, because I apprec recite that they have had massive challenges this week. However I'm sure that they could make some things easier for themselves, and their paying customers. It would be helpful to have all the ticket desks open at busy times! Also more education in lift queues, and signage actually along tows advising people what not to do, to help prevent fowling them up, and better information as to how to release a T-Bar for example. After all there are a lot of learners, inexperienced skiers there who simply don't know better.

The snow was absolutely superb though, so I just hope that once they get on top of everything at open more runs up, it will be the start of a great season!

penfold

Last Visited: 12:26
21st Apr 2015
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
Just off the phone from GS and apparently the gates at spittal are shut for the whole day.

All cars sitting waiting after the gates have been told to go south (but weren't told the gates were shut for the whole day) and there are still loads waiting at the spittal and yet another load at the pottery, so not sure if they have been told anything different. Also a LOT of cars still heading north towards GS.

Glorious day here in Blair so not sure if people are thinking the 'snow gate shut' signs are wrong and heading up anyway.......

The jinx of world snow day strikes again.
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.06hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
I wonder why the road is still closed from spittal of Glenshee.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 15.15hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
I was about 2/3 of the way up from the Spittal when vehicles stopped around 8:30am.

I heard a few stories but what appears to have happened is the intense wind caught the still powdery snow from the side of the road on the slide and filled it in reducing the road to 1 cars width. At one point it was one car up, one car down but it quickly deteriorated and the P&k plough got snarled up in the chaos causing total grid lock. Eventually the police shut the road and cars were having to reverse off of the slide!

It's not clear why this wasn't communicated better but I noticed the webcam wasn't updating for a while and mobile signal was non existent for some people. It is possible Glenshee's communications were isolated at the worst possible time in which case I can sympathise to some extent. But still I would agree it was a mess.

They really need variable signage at the Spittal and at the Blair snow gates really!

But in my opinion it was a bit of a perfect storm!
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
Disappointing. And a big shame for people who attempted to travel, especially if they themselves had been properly prepared. - I expected it to be busy so I didn't venture.

Seems to me that the roads people need to get the importance of this route for all users. - either they commit to clearing it, or they commit to communicating about closure. ?

Many many times they fail to open the Spittal gates, yet fail to communicate.

If it has to be closed sometimes, ok that's winter for you. But they can't just walk away from it quietly. They have to communicate.... In a timely & effective manner.

My impression is that they don't consider clearance a priority, certainly not in the morning, and often the subsequent closures are a consequence of not having made a proper job of the initial ploughing. In other words, they do the minimum, and then it fills in again.

Needs an MSP to pick this up.
davy_boy2004

Last Visited: 22:14
28th Jun 2018
Date Posted: 16.56hrs on Sun 18 Jan 15
Was a shambles on the south side today with nothing on here or traffic scotland websites to say the road was closed till late morning. Nothing on the signs or police at blairgowrie to let traffic know. No mention on tay fm and no police at the spittal just one glenshee employee having to turn round all traffic. Poor show from council/police today. Must have been thousands traveled the road all the way to spittal to be turned back.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.58hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
As usual I was in the thick of the issues yesterday on the slide.

road wasnt ploughed early enough for projected use, by the time ploughs appeared, stuck cars (both on slide and at points after the gates) prevented clearance of about 6 inch to foot of blown snow from about 2/3 way up slide. Cars that got stuck on the slide up to a bout 8am came down of own accord, cars that got stuck after the plough went up and down twice upto about 9.30am stayed put and prevented clearance. ploughs did not have their blades down on the top of slide to remove snow, technical reason for this? or just the unreturned stuck cars preventing?

- so plough earlier (resources from P&K need increased, councillors are discussing at meetings)
- if you dont make the slide you must come back down (if able)
- ask waiting cars if police have told them to wait not just think you and your 4x4 have special privaledges

police evacuated everyone very safely and orderly (shame it was needed)

while on the slide we were told resort was stormbound so closing road, lack of mobile reception until the gates made confirmation impossible until all evacuated

maybe others know of the reasons certain decisions were made, from my viewpoint it was a road clearing blunder leading to total chaos and road closure to rectify the situation

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.22hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
where is "the slide" ?
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 14.24hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
telemarker Wrote:
where is "the slide" ?

The steepest bit of the A93 just south of the centre. Roughly where the devils elbow is.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
Ah thanks, I have never heard it called that, only "the Devils elbow"
pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.02hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
telemarker Wrote:
Ah thanks, I have never heard it called that, only "the Devils elbow"

+1
hillbillyhoopla

Date Posted: 20.04hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
The last time I dropped in on snow was nearly 2 years ago.

lilpunk

Last Visited: 19:24
16th Feb 2016
Date Posted: 21.03hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
hillbillyhoopla Wrote:
The last time I dropped in on snow was nearly 2 years ago.

Two skiers, which one is a BAWBAG.
Current Page:4 of 13
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: