You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:5 of 13
HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Glenshee Snow 2015
Date Posted: 21.21hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15

Very fine afternoon at Shee today. Roads good. Great snow quality. Tiger chair workng all day. Available runs all in great shape. We saw extra terrain being prepared. Carn Aosda and over at Meall Odhar.

Very cold dry snow. Was -11c on road home.

Some storm damage for the centre to sort out. Looks like a lift hut has gone AWOL! Being replaced today.

Good numbers for a Monday. Nice atmosphere. Good sport today, both sides of the road.
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 21.27hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
Worth noting that there seems to be absolutely zero phone signal for EE/Orange users.

Think it's been that way a while. Maybe storm damage. Think other networks have a weak signal.

Don't count on having any signal up there just now.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.19hrs on Mon 19 Jan 15
Hi

Was touring west of the centre today. There is an EE mobi signal from the cairnwell if you are stood under the tower. Guessing the tx is working but antenna knackered. Could not get ought from the CP apart from voda 2G (which is useless for data). Nice day out to Cairnwell, Carn a Gheoidh, decent run off, then up Carn Aosda and back to CP. Cover on the summits poor. Saw some guys dropping in to the corrie between Cairnwell and Carn nan Sac, and a would-be kite boarder waiting for the wind to get up a bit. Descent off Carn Aosda not good for 1st 3rd (rocks), should have gone further around. Lower part good though.

Sunday was a bit of a disaster. Wind shut everying Down AM bought a pass PM for Sunnyside and Ceanlochan nowt else running with the wind. Play stopped at 3PM, coppers anxious to get folks off the pass. We kipped on CP again since Monday forecast great.

Three is out too as the Cairnwell BS is a tower-share with EE via their joint MBNL organisation.

Nigel

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 09.14hrs Tue 20 Jan 15 by veletron.
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 08.52hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Anyone been over GM way? Take a good bit of pressure of the roadside lifts at the weekend if the whole area was open.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.57hrs Tue 20 Jan 15 by roscoeh.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.09hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
got a letter from the NPA this morning, application approved smiling smiley

veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.11hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Aye, on Saturday. Looked like quite a bit more snow required to open out to fionn/maol. Routes off Meall Odhar also incomplete, Poma cable off towers at top, uptrack would need alot of machine-shoved snow to complete, and descent options a bit convoluted. Lots of heather!

Add to that the forecast thaw into next weekend. Hopefully a bit of consolidation followed by a big dump on low winds or different winds! Fingers crossed!

Will get some pics up for fellow tourers.

St Anton for me from Sat!

Nigel
kevinboyle82

Last Visited: 14:25
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 11.41hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Looks like the Tiger chair replacement was approved today. Excellent news.
HTH

20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 12.03hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
There was a bit of chat about the new chair lift yesterday, in the queue for the existing Cairnwell chair. - The idea of a faster moving 3-seater got a few punters quite excited. It will help a lot.

Unconfirmed word at the centre was that the plan was approved. If that's it, then it's very positive for construction this summer, I hope.

We saw lights over at Meal Odhar late in the day. So I think this could be opening. And I would expect Fionn Coire , Blue & Reds to have held snow, from seeing how the other east facing slopes were filled. May depend on how the fences have held drifts on the ridges, in order to allow return routes to be opened.

Cold for the next few days, then some bumps in the weather, to keep an eye on.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.11hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
I just got a letter from the planning authority (as a result of filling in the "support for" form that was posted via WH) and it's officially "Approved". Great to see this happen. Although I don't ski Glenshee very often these days I'm happy to see progress anywhere - and this is a substantial step forward. Great news. Wonder when it will actually be built?
kevinboyle82

Last Visited: 14:25
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 12.12hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
sspeirs Wrote:
I just got a letter from the planning authority (as a result of filling in the "support for" form that was posted via WH) and it's officially "Approved". Great to see this happen. Although I don't ski Glenshee very often these days I'm happy to see progress anywhere - and this is a substantial step forward. Great news. Wonder when it will actually be built?

Would be good if it was ready for next season eh?
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.36hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
I wonder if Glencoe will be interested in any of the parts from the Glenshee lift ?

Presumeably they would have salvaged bits from their previous access chair to help keep the Cliffy going.
somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
the baddoch went in pretty quickly after approval.
what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.19hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Yes, got my letter from the NPA this morning too so more than just a rumour. Hope they get a bumper season and can get it in over summer. Double/triple chairs accessing that side of the road would really improve access and cut queues. Hope they can get the further valleys open in the next few weeks

Neil
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.46hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
A problem with the A93 is the council boundary being in the middle of the ski area, the Cairnwell Pass therefore doesn't go anywhere as far as each council is concerned. The A93 needs to be re-trunked given it's importance for the NE Scotland's tourist industry all year round and given the winter clearing priority that goes with it as it's still used by a fairly hefty volume of HGVs as a through route.
Thistle

Last Visited: 13:09
30th Nov 2015
Date Posted: 17.53hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Was in Coire Fionn on Saturday. Well filled on around the tow although scoured at the Meall Odhar end. Glas Maol also well filled 3/4 way up when it gets a bit scoured too.

Uptrack on Caenlochan and runs beside it pretty variable especially at the top.

Descent down the corner to Cluny was generally full and could probably be bulldozed complete.

However only the hangers on the cables were on the Coire Fionn pomas (ie no poles or buttons) and no pomas at all on GM. May have changed since then as they were grooming the Coire Fionn red but still a bit of work to do.
Current Page:5 of 13
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: