You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:8 of 13
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Re: Glenshee Snow 2015
Date Posted: 21.06hrs on Sun 1 Feb 15
Andy Wrote:
Got up to the Spittal and met the snow cutter on it's way back - that was about 10ish....driver said it wouldn't be opening. Spend the day hiking up for a few turns, sledging,building a snow hole and chilling in the sun. ...quite a good day really! ..family had a blast.

Much scope for touring out of the Spittal then Andy? I'm heading up early tomorrow but I see the roads still shut.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 21.19hrs on Sun 1 Feb 15
Yes..east facing slopes are pretty loaded. People skied some nice lines. Up towards the old ski tow looked good.

Crofty

Last Visited: 14:59
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 19.29hrs on Mon 2 Feb 15
It was noon before they got the road opened today,time to have a coffee and cake at Gulabin and meet up with a few old pals.
Not a bad afternoon's sking,great snow and the light was,nt too bad with the sun threatening to break through. Not as much snow as I expected on the hill.

hillbillyhoopla

Date Posted: 21.09hrs on Mon 2 Feb 15
Glenshee desperately needs more snow.

hillbillyhoopla

Date Posted: 16.01hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Where's the down syndrome monkey when you need him? What a load of shite!

CMartindale

25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 16.19hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Fantastic day today. A bit blustery on the tops but great skiing to be had when the sun came out. Most runs have fence to fence cover (and don't get much better!) with the big exceptions being Sunnyside (South of pomas), Meal Odhar and of course Glas Maol. As far as I'm aware the third valley wasn't opened though due to the wind.

The pisters have done a cracking job too.

Yesterday though was a bit of a shambles on the A93. The road was so bad that it took them until 12am to open it because the snow blower broke down (I think it does this every time). Credit where credit is due they didn't dilly dally and had 2 ploughs, 2 JCBs, 2 men in vans and a snow blower. It was the not knowing that made it unpleasant. I wish they would just stick a variable traffic sign up somewhere at the Spittal and at Blairgowrie. All they have is a sign inviting you to follow them on Facebook and Twitter which is fine... If you could get data signal!!

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 16.32hrs Tue 3 Feb 15 by CMartindale.

Attachments: image.jpg (149kB)   image.jpg (134kB)  
CMartindale

25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 09.19hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
At least the problem re the A93 has been acknowledged by the council.

[www.thecourier.co.uk]

Andy

2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 11.05hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
do you know what the snows like on Carn Aosda ?...or south ridge of the cairnwell. I'm thinking it should be quite good and not too scoured/icy given the wind direction of the last snows. Can't decide between a quick tour at drumochter or a lazy day on piste at glenshee with some off piste/side country..

benim83n

Last Visited: 12:13
17th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 11.30hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
I skied carn aosda on Monday and it was beautiful powder on the steep section before getting a little more scoured lower down.
There is some excellent off piste at glenshee just now if you know where to look but it is very variable turning to ice unexpectantly. Pick of the day yesterday was the gullies on meahl odhar although it was hassle lapping it. The pists are in excellent shape though.
It looks like there is enough snow on the Carn aosda T-bar uptrack to get it to run and the main piste only needs a little work at the top to get it open.
Meahl odhar needs a little bit of work at the top but nothing a pistebasher cant fix.

One pistebasher went up Glas Moal yesterday so perhaps that will run soon to. There is plenty of snow on the uptrack and from what is visable there is enough snow on the red piste to get it open. It wont be the epic Glas Moal we all know though. Far out on the ridge above trident gully, where it faces south there is masses of snow.

CMartindale

25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 11.51hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
I think they are looking at getting both Carn Aosda and Glas Maol open for half term. As said above neither will be particularly high quality but will at least increase capacity for this fast approaching busy period.

Both uptracks are mostly complete but particularly Carn Aosda will be vulnerable to a thaw. At present it doesn't look like enough snow to run a piste basher down the top bit. The gap that needs bridged is between the top of the lifts and the top of the runs. Perhaps they could lower the get-off points though? Piste basher was also working on CA yesterday.

As for touring I am going up for a reckie just now so will update this evening. smiling smiley

CMartindale

25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 18.43hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
So I was up this afternoon for a look about the backs to scope out descents for a touring trip next week. Had a really nice descent off of the back of Cairn Aosda, snow starts off very icy but grippy but quickly turns into beautiful powder on top of hard packed. You can go maybe a couple of hundred metres down into the gully. I didn't ski as far as you could as it felt like a perfect terrain trap scenario with lots of soft snow on one side of a steep gully. But you could probably go quite far down. Attached pic is of the bowl that I was in.

I then climbed back up and traversed round to the back of Butcharts Coire to see what else there was but unfortunately there isn't much. Ended up walking most of it.

I then went up Cairn Aosda itself with a view of the long descent down to the road. Probably a third of it looked good. The rest either was exposed rock or had thin cover and having heard a grim story of someone breaking their pelvis on that very slope under similar conditions I put my sensible hat on.

Some good descents scoped out further out past Loch Vochtran but access would mainly be by walking.

In terms of inbound runs everything that was open has good cover. I took a few photos so will post a report at some point.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.52hrs Thu 5 Feb 15 by CMartindale.

Attachments: image.jpg (143kB)  
CMartindale

25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.14hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
This is what Glas Maol is looking like just now.

DSC_4099 by cammytheskier, on Flickr

DSC_4098 by cammytheskier, on Flickr

More Photos here: [www.flickr.com]

Andy

2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 22.18hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
Sounds good. ..Thanks for the info.

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Fri 6 Feb 15
sweet day today, sunny, no wind, no queues you couldn't avoid grinning smiley

in between the fences is pretty much perfection once the sun gets on in, but outside it's a wee bit solid. there's probably some good bits to be found, but will take quite an effort. was getting a bit scrapy in places by the end, and softened a fair bit in the sun, so if you're heading up over the weekend, sharp edges might be an idea!

hillbillyhoopla

Date Posted: 21.20hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
Checked out the transceiver park today...

Current Page:8 of 13
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: