You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
BASI, Grantown-on-Spey ... state-of-play
Date Posted: 12.54hrs on Thu 11 Dec 14
THE BRITISH ASSOCIATION OF SNOWSPORT INSTRUCTORS ...

... founded on Speyside in 1962 and in its current Grantown HQ since 2009, is in a state of unprecedented legal and directional crisis. During 2014 there have been repeated challenges to the authority of BASI's board of directors, and a significant proportion of its membership is unhappy with the Association's stance on members' employment rights in the European Union.

BASI is the pre-eminent training and examination body for ski instructors in the UK - acknowledged as such by the International Ski Instructors Association – and has qualified thousands of ski instructors to high standards, but even the ISIA is asking questions of its governance. Gareth Roberts is the chairman of BASI, and Andrew Lockerbie is returning shortly as its chief executive. The interim chief executive is Stephen Burke, who is also (significantly, in view of current events) BASI's legal director. There have been recent resignations of directors from BASI’s board.

Though BASI's affairs are rarely discussed on Winterhighland - there is a very active discussion on Facebook called (interestingly) 'BASI Members' Group' (it's open to ex-members and non-members) ...
[www.facebook.com]
... this is maybe a good time to get a few factual matters on the record, summarised for general consumption ...

1. BASI 50th anniversary. This was a prestigious lunch in 2012, hosted at the House of Commons by Danny Alexander MP and attended by - among many others from several Alpine nations - Sir Steve Redgrave. Sir Steve, the 5-times Olympic gold-medallist, is the current president of BASI and a BASI-qualified ski instructor.
[www.basi.org.uk]
Those 50th anniversary celebrations were supposed to include a commemorative book, written by James Cove of PlanetSki (a BASI instructor). This book has not appeared but is believed to be in progress.
This 100th issue of BASI News appeared in 2011, anticipating the anniversary, and gives a picture of the organisation in happier times: [www.basi.org.uk]

2. BASI training programme. It's as well to emphasise, despite the points above and below, that BASI will have a full programme of instructor training courses this winter, detailed on its website: [www.basi.org.uk]
Live official BASI info on Facebook: [www.facebook.com]

3. The legal dispute with Simon Butler. This affair, which is primarily a French prosecution of BASI member Simon Butler for employing instructors in Megeve who allegedly do not hold valid (French-approved) qualifications, continues. BASI has allied itself with the ESF (Ecole du Ski Français) over this prosecution, to the extent of circulating a statement from the French embassy ...
[www.basi.org.uk]

BASI expelled Simon Butler and removed his professional licence on 1 November 2014, just minutes before a general meeting at the Telegraph Ski Show in London. Butler responded by taking legal action. On 21 November, BASI HQ was visited by a ‘messenger at arms’ from the Edinburgh Court of Session, suspending their action against Simon Butler ...
[www.basi.org.uk]
This gave BASI 21 days to respond, which is tomorrow Friday 12 December. BASI’s response is, as yet, unknown.

4. The position of the ISIA. At an ISIA meeting on 18 October 2014, two matters concerning BASI’s governance were brought to the attention of delegates. The minutes record an allegation of “false documents” being issued to 33 British snowboard instructors, now being investigated by the ISIA.
The minutes also record a complaint by Simon Butler about his arrest and prosecution by the French. They state “ISIA will, however, demand an explanation from the BASI as to why specifically Simon Butler was refused the MoU sticker (enabling him to teach) for 2014."
See pages 9 and 10 of these ISA minutes: [www.isiaski.org]

5. The vacancy of BASI Alpine Director. BASI announced two days ago that it has cancelled an extraordinary general meeting, due to be held in Chamonix on 24 January, to appoint a new alpine director. Errors occurred in the calling of the meeting, and the sole candidate for the post withdrew his candidature ...
[www.basi.org.uk]

That meeting had been notified on 26 November ...
[www.basi.org.uk]
The vacancy arose because of the recently-announced resignation of BASI alpine director Ian Linklater.
-----------
This posting is meant to be a balanced picture of achievement and challenge currently facing BASI. To conclude on a positive note, the Association will field a demonstration team for the 2015 Interski meeting in Ushuaia, Argentina, in 2015. This 3-minute video explains:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 18 times. Last edit at 15.16hrs Thu 11 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Re: BASI, Grantown-on-Spey ... state-of-play
Date Posted: 11.29hrs on Sun 14 Dec 14
Updating this ... with three additional points ...

6. Conflicts of interest? This report by PlanetSki this morning ...

[www.planetski.eu]

... mentions "... the allegations against BASI and named individuals made in court, including ones of impropriety and conflicts of interest, could hardly go left unchallenged from the position of BASI."

These alleged "conflicts of interest" are believed to concern senior figures in BASI and their own operations in France. Simon Butler's lawyers are releasing very little to the public domain, and there is a question as to whether the court-lodged or court-issued documents can be reported at this stage - i.e. what is 'privileged'.

7. A recent "Staff Team Building" day. On Friday 5 December the BASI office closed all day for this. Not an unusual idea at all - and a relatively minor matter - but it may prove to be interesting where this event took place, its duration and the mode of travel.
[www.basi.org.uk]

8. Additional serious litigation? I've been informed, but not by a primary source, that BASI may face a serious lawsuit on a quite different matter. This is very hushed at present, but there is a general atmosphere (particularly reflected by members' comments on Facebook - [www.facebook.com]) of membership distrust over BASI's finances and legal bills running wild.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 14.48hrs on Sun 14 Dec 14
I had a look at the BASI page re team building but couldn't see anything untoward.

As it happens I am doing a BASI course tomorrow til Friday.

Jack

Date Posted: 00.05hrs on Wed 17 Dec 14
Hi David, I don't actually understand why you posted this. Perhaps it's because basi is based in the highlands? No doubt winterhighlanders are vaguely interested but I'm sure they've got better things to read and look forward to than this butler pantomime.

I'm not sure whether you are trying to be objective or not but it's definitely the state of play as you see it...

Basi have cost issues which must be addressed but basi have been in worse places. They were nearly bust a couple of decades ago and had no recognition in The French alps which is the biggest uk skier destination.

The situation is markedly better today and the association do a good job of providing ski teachers for domestic and abroad markets.

DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 23.48hrs on Wed 17 Dec 14
Hi David. The BASI dirty washing you describe is really for BASI members to resolve. I see little value in general gossip and debate outside the organisation as none of the above issues alters the high quality of instruction provided by BASI instructors. Like Jack I'm not sure why you've posted this other than an opportunity for juicy gossip.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 09.45hrs on Fri 19 Dec 14
I don't do gossip. If there's a single sentence in the above 8 points that constitutes "gossip" in anyone's eyes, I'll do my best to provide further factual detail. Regarding points 7 and 8, which are less specific than might be ideal, there is an issue of protecting sources by restricting what can be disclosed at this juncture.

This BASI news item of 15 December [ [www.basi.org.uk] ] seems quite significant in the current situation:

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 10.09hrs Fri 19 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: BASI news Dec 2014.JPG (74kB)  
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 09.57hrs on Fri 19 Dec 14
A further news item strangely refers to an "extreme" "office clean up" today. In what sense can an office clean up be "extreme"?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 09.58hrs Fri 19 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: BASI news 19 Dec.JPG (29kB)  
David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 20.00hrs on Fri 19 Dec 14
Regarding point 3 (opening post above) ... it's now exactly one week since BASI apparently filed its response to the Edinburgh court's 'order' which suspended the Association's action against Simon Butler. Presumably his membership and licence status are restored (that's not officially confirmed) and maybe therefore his constitutional rights within BASI.

Very little has been disclosed recently about this affair, both sides apparently keen to protect their respective positions under the cover of legal 'privilege'. Simon Butler did make a guarded statement on Facebook and snowHeads (last Sunday) ... reproduced here in full. I'm not aware of any public comment by BASI ...

[snowheads.com]

Quote:
Hello.
I have now been informed by my lawyers that BASI have submitted a note of defence to the court in Edinburgh. This has been done at the very last moment allowed by the court in terms of their timetable, and we didn’t receive notification of it until much later on Friday night so my apologies to all who have posted on the basis that BASI aren’t defending the action. It is now official that they are. However the interesting thing for me, is that the defences don’t ask to recall the interim orders and so BASI are still prevented by the Court from suspending my membership until a full hearing is held to consider all of this.
It’s disappointing for me that despite numerous behind the scenes efforts to have a discussion with BASI on the subject, and approaches made by a number of other members to have things sorted out, there has been absolutely no willingness shown by the Board to enter into constructive discussions. Unfortunately this means that a huge amount of time and money will now need to be spent by everyone to have the thing thrashed out in a very public setting. I still remain hopeful that a constructive dialogue can be entered into, and my phone will always remain on ! Thank you to everyone for all the support so far."
Simon

As regards the meeting in Chamonix notified above, the agenda looks to be highly significant in every regard, so presumably BASI will have to circulate the documents/draft proposals etc. to its entire membership ... rather than a few members who may find it practical to attend the session in this (founding, 1924) Winter Olympics resort.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 20.40hrs Fri 19 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

DaveF

Last Visited: 23:37
18th Dec 2015
Date Posted: 09.00hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
Hi David. I don’t dispute the facts. As a BASI member I’m well aware of them. I just don’t think a public forum away from the members affected is the place to discuss it. This is internal to BASI and does not affect the service provided by BASI instructors and therefore should be dealt with in-house. Taking great delight in spreading bad news, particularly to unconnected or unaffected groups of people for the joy of sharing juicy scandal, is gossip in my book.

mtq1000

Last Visited: 18:19
15th Apr 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.57hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
I'm interested in this. Not a member but still interested.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.44hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
I am a (new) member and interested but I agree that a public forum is not the best way to discuss this and lacks context.

Just because it's interesting doesn't mean it should be discussed in public.

What is a concern to me though is the increasing irrelevance of Snow Sport Scotland, in some people's eyes, as BASI seem to do everything that SSS could and should be doing.

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.01hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
Whether BASI's affairs are 'internal', 'for members' eyes only' ... or whether they are matters of public (or at least semi-public) concern ... is a question of how one views the organisation. Yes it is a member-owned association, but it adopts a public profile, while operating in corporate and commercial capacities that - it's argued by some - may compromise its key function as a training and qualification body.

What is BASI's mission in 2014-5, compared to its mission in the 1960s through mid-1970s?

Since BASI is the national organisation for ski instructors providing services to the general public, and since many Winterhighlanders aspire to train and qualify with BASI (or have done so in the past), I would have thought its governance and integrity are matters of public concern for all British skiers.

The comments of DonaldM, Jack and DaveF above appear to echo the well-worn maxim illustrated here [click attachment] ... while noting the addition of a 4th dimension for the internet age! ...

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 11.10hrs Sun 21 Dec 14 by David Goldsmith.

Attachments: 4 monkeys.JPG (62kB)  
Dunwerkin

Last Visited: 11:01
9th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.30hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
If it wasn't for Davids postings,how would we know whats really going on behind the scenes out there?

If Scotland had a "normal" media(instead of the dire shambolic affair we are saddled with at present) I would agree that perhaps Davids input would not be required in forums such as this.

However, until that day dawns, I shall continue to look forward to being enlightened by Davids offerings....

David Goldsmith

6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 11.45hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
Since the crisis (I don't think that's too strong a word) at BASI is centred on its members' divisions over working rights in Europe and the vested interests involved ...

... this thread on the BASI Members' Group Facebook, started by Scott Pleva, is well worth reading to learn more about where people stand.
[www.facebook.com]
It's been going since 15 August and has attracted 77 comments at the time of writing.

I'd argue that BASI should be about prioritising the interests of the next (aspirational) generation of ski instructors ... rather than fattening the fat cats! (bearing in mind that the current Alpine snow conditions are not likely to fatten anyone) ...

harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 17.30hrs on Tue 23 Dec 14
CRAZY As we used to call them have been at it for years.
Get rid of the lot and start again.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: