You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Clashindarroch snow reports 2014/15
Date Posted: 22.08hrs on Thu 11 Dec 14
I thought I would start a thread for Clashindarroch snow reports this season. Unfortunately my first report is not a particularly good one. Although there is plenty of snow in the forest there is ongoing timber extraction work which has wrecked the snow on many of the main trails. Also this ongoing work has rutted the actual road surfaces in many places. I had been informed by the Forestry Commission that this work should be finished by mid December & the road surfaces re-instated. I think it may be difficult to do this with the current snow.If you do go to the Clash please be aware there will be no groomed trails until this work is over. I would also ask you to take care & respect any Forestry Commission signs. It is a big forest so ypou should be able to find somewhere to ski.

Regards, Peter Thorn, Huntly Nordic SC
www.nordicski.co.uk
www.facebook.com/HuntlyNordic
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: Clashindarroch snow reports 2014/15
Date Posted: 06.32hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
Hi Peter
What is th snow depth on the trails? And which trails are affected by forestry work
Is haute route untouched ?
Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 08.32hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
Andrew,

I'm actually away at the moment & am going on reports from others. Telemarker reports 10cm depth at entrances.

As for the forestry work unfortunately it is all along the main drag up to & partly along the Haute Route. It is all a bit disappointing. The Forestry Commission have done a lot of strimming on the lower trails in preparation for the season. The reason for the late timber extraction is that there was a goshawk nesting & they could do anything until the chicks had left home, at least that is the story I've been told.

Peter
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.36hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
I've not been in, but from chatting to people who have at the club last night the Haute Route has been affected as there has been a vehicle up Leids leap (to fuel the orange mast) and beyond Leids leap forest vehicles have accessed the track from the right as there has been thinning work in the forest to the right. I'm also told that its rutted just beyond the Y junction after the Biathlon range. Hopefully someone with first hand info will be on shortly to confirm.
Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.13hrs on Fri 12 Dec 14
Peter Thorn Wrote:
Telemarker reports 10cm depth at entrances.

Should have read "Timberline reports....."
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.50hrs on Sun 14 Dec 14
I was in the forest today and the snow is still pretty good, though some thin sections and breaks are starting to appear. Skied a Haute Route circuit clockwise. Top of Leids leap is thin with rocks showing so best done uphill. There is forestry work at the junction of Highland Fling and the Haute Route and between the bottom of Shortcut and the Y junction at the bottom of Classic Start. This area is particularly badly mangled and there was heavy equipment parked there so likely to be working next week. Best avoided by going back up shortcut, though I bypassed the area via Sheepfolds which was very thin in places.
Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Fri 19 Dec 14
Clash report Fri 19th Dec
I would estimate about 50% of the trails skiable. Surprisingly the best skiing is around the Biathlon Range (5-10cm). This is because the timber contractors have been repairing the road surfaces on the main drag up to the Haute Route - although there are skiable sections it is most 1-2cm of fresh snow on an icy base. The Haute Route is mostly skiable but I wouldn't ski down Leids Leap - going up would be OK.

The trails will not be groomed until we get more snow. There were snow showers all day so hopefully it will start to fill up especially as there is an icy base.

Peter
www.nordicski.co.uk
www.facebook.com/HuntlyNordic
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.33hrs on Sat 20 Dec 14
Good snowfall this morning meant all trails skiable, with 4-6" of fresh snow. Wetter snow lower down and sticky I'm places.
Skied along bottom trial and Normans way, up herringbone, then haute route to Leids leap. First time I. 2 yrs I have done this full circuit.
Snowed the whole 2 hrs I was out this morning and temperature seemed to rise slightly.
All change again tomorrow with higher temperatures.

Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.29hrs on Sat 20 Dec 14
And I followed your tracks all he way round but I didn't catch you. Thanks for making my ski easier.

Tracks a bit too soft for grooming. We need a bit more snow on the lower trails but Haute Route is filling in nicely.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.00hrs on Sun 21 Dec 14
Thanks Peter, I was pretty tired after breaking the trail so glad it was appreciated before the thaw smiling smiley

Timberline

Last Visited: 20:54
24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.44hrs on Wed 24 Dec 14
Had a look round the Highland Fling, Haute Route, Leids Leap circuit today. Overnight flurries had brought only a sprinkling of new snow. Lower trails have lost most of their old snow, except for the Range and the Little Range (flat areas near the Hytti) where there are generous patches of level snow 3-10cm deep. However, if you don't mind a long walk in, on the mid-section of the Haute Route (between Highland Fling and Short Cut) there are three stretches of good, old snow amounting in total to nearly 500m with only short breaks between; then a further 100m stretch. Between the top of Short Cut and the mobile phone mast "La Glace de Clash" has over 250m of continuously skiable snow. Snow showers were looming in the west as I left, so one hopes for an overnight covering and perhaps even a fully white Christmas for the Clash.
antbjanne

Last Visited: 11:22
11th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.36hrs on Thu 25 Dec 14
There's a wee covering(20mm at most) of fresh snow/frost today so actually pretty good from Transmitter to Highland Fling Junction. Enough cover to ski up Leids but I walked down that bit on return.
The main road was white with light snow so that was useable for some skating practice though my lack of ability made for some interesting results.
Tony
Timberline

Last Visited: 20:54
24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.38hrs on Sat 27 Dec 14
Clashindarroch only received a light dusting of fresh snow overnight, so trail conditions are much as described in antbjanne's helpful Christmas Day post on this thread (thanks, Tony), with 2-3cm fresh on frosted grass and (on the Haute Route in particular) the fresh snow has joined up some of the excellent sections of old snow which makes for some good skiing once you're up there. The approaches encourage walking unless rock skis are being used, and I wouldn't fancy Leids Leap in either direction, even using the verge. Some sections of forest road still have mud poking through the very thin cover although they have been re-graded after the forestry work. The Range and Little Range, with the two ramps, still have enough cover for snowplay and training, with little change expected while the temperatures stay low.
Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Clash report Fri 2nd Jan
Date Posted: 15.32hrs on Fri 2 Jan 15
Windy with snow showers, Temp 0-1degC at 1pm.

There is insufficient snow for any reasonable skiing. 1-2cm of new snow has fallen in the past 24 hours & the snow showers continue. Unfortunately these showers aren't particular heavy & the snow is falling onto a wet base rather than the hard, frozen one we had over Christmas. There is a chance if these snow showers continue that there may be some better skiing this weekend but I can't say for sure.

The Huntly Nordic Ski Club have cancelled the Ski Orienteering that was scheduled for tomorrow Sat 3rd Jan. Our next planned event are the Clash Dash ski sprints scheduled for Sun 11th Jan but we need more snow.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.30hrs on Sat 3 Jan 15
I assume there is no improvement after the late afternoon snow showers on Friday ?
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: