You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: Clashindarroch snow reports 2014/15
Date Posted: 17.43hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
Good ski at clash today, sheepfolds and back via Norman way and lower trails
Plenty of snow, softening in places as day went on

Plan a longer one tomorrow, similar to timberline clash secrets tour today
Good photos of that on the Huntly nordic facebook page

I note on photos some of the wind turbine access tracks had no snow, but verges skiable
How did black hill and beyond look timberline ?

Timberline

Last Visited: 20:54
24th Feb 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.03hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
I did glance over in that direction, Telemarker. On the open hill, you'll be dodging clumps of heather, on soft and shallow snow, except where there's adjacent forestry plantation, which creates the same effect as the Timberline snowfield by acting as a giant snow fence.

Main trails were groomed first thing this morning, thanks to Peter's hard work. With daytime temperatures forecast to be several degrees above freezing for the next few days, how long the snow lasts will depend very much on whether there are overnight frosts. But there's more than enough snow for skiing on Sunday, and hopefully into the coming week. A few thin or stony patches have appeared in the usual places but today these were short and didn't interrupt the day unduly. There is generally spring snow on a firm base, possibly icy first thing if there's a frost. The Timberline snowfield was reported to be in good shape today. Overall, until more snow arrives we can expect a slow process of attrition over the next few days. Under these conditions there's often a surprising amount of snow to be discovered on the lesser-used trails such as The Lair and Hedder Wye.

There's plenty of parking available, but please try to avoid blocking access to the rear car park and main road.

telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.17hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
Surely people didn't park cars blocking access to rear carpark ?

Timberline

24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 19.32hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
It does happen sometimes if people don't realise there's parking at the back there, and heaped snow or ice makes manouevring tricky.

Timberline

24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.42hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
Woops, sorry Telemarker -- the note about parking was general guidance for people unfamilar with the car park. Not directed at you or anyone in particular (I've just realised it could have been read that way!).

Peter Thorn

Last Visited: 09:17
16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.54hrs on Sat 7 Feb 15
telemarker Wrote:

I note on photos some of the wind turbine access tracks had no snow, but verges skiable
How did black hill and beyond look timberline ?

I think they have been snowplough the wind turbine access roads. The wind farm is undergoing commissioning so they still need access for all vehicles. There is plenty of snow along edges where you see bare road. Most roads are skiable though.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.04hrs Sun 8 Feb 15 by Peter Thorn.

telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Sun 8 Feb 15
Today the snow in Clashindarroch forest stayed pretty firm to icy within the shade.
In areas exposed to sunshine the snow soften

I went for a long ski starting from clash carpark, up to the windturbines, up Black Hill then along ridge to 527m hill, then Grumack Hill, and onto the Trig point on Red Hill at 522m, linking snowfields along the way with some bits of heather skiing.
and retuned by continuous snow cover along Western Edge of the forest, and an excursion Cloiche Dubh to look at the Geology - schist erratics by Turbine 9.

a long ski, over 5 hrs and 26km covered

with more snow it would be great to carry on all the way to Huntly (with car shuttle arranged)
has anyone ever done this route and carried on along ridge to Huntly?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.25hrs Sun 8 Feb 15 by telemarker.

Attachments: ski-route-8feb15-res.JPG (372kB)  
Timberline

24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Sun 8 Feb 15
Epic trip, Telemarker! Shows the potential of the area. You'd have had great views too.

telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.02hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Will try and load some photos - views were fantastic

first photo is from the 522m trig point on Red Hill looking South towards Buck, which was looking a long way away, and i was beginning to regret going so far!

and others are shots over to Ben Rinnes and on way back towards Clash

great weather for such a trip, and snow great out on the hillside

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 08.08hrs Mon 9 Feb 15 by telemarker.

Attachments: image.jpg (146kB)   image.jpg (184kB)   image.jpg (155kB)   image.jpg (187kB)  
Timberline

24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.00hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Great pictures. Interesting how Ben Rinnes sometimes looks really close under snow. Today I was regretting not having skis while trying to follow the Bennachie section of the Gordon Way on foot. Much of the route was filled in with snow which was impossible to walk on due a breakable crust. Lower down in the trees, any snow on the busier routes was trampled into ice. Sun and sky as per your photos of Sunday. Cairngorms looking close in the clear air. Alpine February conditions!

P.Clark

Last Visited: 19:30
27th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.43hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Thanks for the regular conditions updates Timberline, they're much appreciated. It's good to know what to expect before a longish drive.

I made it to Clash yesterday for the first time in 2 or 3 years. It was good to see so many families with young kids out having fun on skis. I ended up exploring a new (to me) track beyond Piccadilly and made my way out onto the windfarm via a timber extraction route. Picked up some freshly made tracks (presumably Telemarker's) which made for some nice speedy progress back to the main trails.

Not sure I like the presence of the turbines (it's the first time I've seen them), but they certainly open up some new skiing potential.

That's a seriously long trip Telemarker. Puts my efforts to shame. Inspiration for another day maybe!

Timberline

24th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.52hrs on Tue 10 Feb 15
Good to hear from you P. Clark, and grand that you had an enjoyable visit to the Clash on Sunday. At least this season we've had a reasonable number of days' skiing so far -- currently over halfway to the annual average (although as you know there is immense variability in the season totals, 2013-14 for example being woeful at forest level, despite the huge amounts of snow higher up).

Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Re: Clash snow report Weds 11th Feb
Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Wed 11 Feb 15
The good news is that the trails are still 95% complete with a good depth of snow in most places. The bad news is that it is hard & icy. I was out on metal edge touring skis today & still found it hard to hold my edges in places. Due numerous walkers the trails are quite rutted in parts added to the skiing difficulties. You can find sections of good skiing especially where the Sun has had a chance to soften the snow. The current snow isn't going to disappear quickly & will be a good base for future snowfalls. However should it warm up a bit I think the trails will become much easier to ski.

telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.49hrs on Wed 11 Feb 15
I am amazed at the number of people who drive out to walk at clash and walk on the snow... So many other forest tracks they could use.
I did thank a considerate photographer on Sunday who was walking in the middle and not on cut ski tracks

Peter Thorn

16th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 21.47hrs on Wed 11 Feb 15
telemarker Wrote:
I am amazed at the number of people who drive out to walk at clash and walk on the snow... So many other forest tracks they could use.
I did thank a considerate photographer on Sunday who was walking in the middle and not on cut ski tracks

The problem with the Clash is that it is a victim of its popularity. When I first started skiing there 25 years ago you got a handful of skiers & hardly any winter walkers. Walkers have learnt it is far easier walking on the groomed compacted trails than foot deep, soft snow. Although it is good when walkers avoid the two cut classic tracks the footholds in the middle of the trail spoil skate skiing. Nothing we can do about it other than what you did by thanking them when they are trying to minimise the impact of their footsteps. Walkers, horse riders, cyclists & even skiers are all welcome.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.01hrs Thu 12 Feb 15 by Peter Thorn.

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: