You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:22 of 24
firefly

Re: 2015 Scottish snow patch season
Date Posted: 07.10hrs on Wed 14 Oct 15
Here are Dunwerkin's snaps of Ben Wyvis!

[flickr.com]

firefly

Date Posted: 07.11hrs on Wed 14 Oct 15
Peter Woolverton Wrote:
I was on Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li (S of Loch Glascarnoch) on Saturday 10th October and saw 3 or 4 small snow patches at about 860m on a NE facing slope of Meall Gorm above Loch an Eilein in The Fannichs. Grid ref: c231695.

Peter Woolverton

Remarkable to have old snow well below 3000 ft in mid October, Peter! Thanks for sharing these, although I fancy they'll disappear soon.

firefly

Date Posted: 18.00hrs on Wed 14 Oct 15
[youtu.be]

A self explanatory video from yesterday. There are going to be quite a few survivals here…

firefly

Date Posted: 18.31hrs on Wed 14 Oct 15
[twitter.com]

The last snow on Bidean nam Bian on its last legs yesterday.

h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.16hrs on Wed 14 Oct 15
Some photos of Coire Domhain today. The lower patch looks much like the patch on Ben Wyvis did just over a week ago and I see that it has now collapsed in the middle. I suspect this might happen here too. Mind you it wasn't warm today. Hat and gloves required all day! [www.flickr.com]

Helen

firefly

Date Posted: 08.57hrs on Thu 15 Oct 15
A series of quite excellent photographs showing the snows of Cairngorm/Macdui plateau, taken yesterday. There's little doubt that GUB and FB slabs will persist, as well as a few others. Farther afield, I'm now almost certain the NW Highlands will have multiple survivals for the first time since 1994.

[www.scottishhills.com]

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 21.20hrs on Thu 15 Oct 15
Fabulous afternoon at Ciste Mhearad today. I'm frightened to say this but I think it will survive smiling smiley It has a beautiful snow bridge and the surface was the nicest it's been for a while to ski. [www.flickr.com]

Helen

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Fri 16 Oct 15
I spent today looking at the many snow patches visible from the Aonach Mor area . I was expecting the patch at the head of An Cul Choire to be in the hollow next to the face of Aonach Beag where there was an impressive tongue last year. There's nothing there but the hollow on the Aonach Mor side has a patch. I scrambled down to it and it had a beautiful dry crystalline surface. As I didn't feel very safe on the frosty slope I retreated back to the plateau! Becoming wimpish in my old age ! [www.flickr.com]

Helen

firefly

Date Posted: 09.10hrs on Sun 18 Oct 15
h11lly's snaps show a bit of snow still on the Grey Corries, and some more of this patch can be found in this trip report from a couple of weeks ago. [www.walkhighlands.co.uk]

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 10.45hrs on Sun 18 Oct 15
On that report, 10th picture down I think there's a view which looks to me like straight into An Cul Choire and there are two large looking patches over on the north side.
How did I miss seeing those ! Are they just not visible from the plateau and the upper part of An Cul which was where I was, or do you think they have melted? If it was only 2 weeks ago that seems unlikely. Maybe Specsavers is required !

Helen

firefly

Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Sun 18 Oct 15
I'm pretty sure that they would have been there, Helen. They're quite well tucked in so perhaps you just missed them.

h11lly

2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 09.06hrs on Mon 19 Oct 15
I didn't walk back along the eastern edge but up the tourist path to the summit of Aonach Mor so that's possibly why. Ah well, I'll know next time where to focus smiling smiley

Helen

edog2009

Last Visited: 08:15
24th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 09.13hrs on Mon 19 Oct 15
I did a tour of the snowpatches on Ben Macdui yesterday and the extent of the snowpatches is very impressive, many of the patches are larger than I have seen them even in August and there are a couple of patches I haven't seen before. Some of these patches are also only visible at fairly close range and can't be seen from the summit of Cairn Gorm. I've put the full set of photos on the Snow patches in Scotland Facebook group.

I also got a good view of the snowpatches in Garbh Choire Mòr, again they are more extensive than I have ever seen in August, and there are a couple of other patches in Coire an Lochain Uaine and Coire Bhrochain. Photo of Garbh Choire Mòr taken yesterday from the summit of Ben Macdui below.

I think it's a good bet that most of these snowpatches will survive till lasting snow this year.

I also got a distant view of the snowpatch in Coire nan Gall near Creag Meagaidh, it's still holding on!

I wonder if this year will beat 1994 in terms of survivals? it must be a contender. The extent of the snowpatches in Garbh Choire Mòr is very similar to the photo that was taken on 5 October 1993 that appears in a Weather article by John Pottie from 1995 (see photo at [www.edwardboyle.com]) and the photo taken by Andrew Nisbet on 1 October 1984 that appears in the book Scotland's Winter Mountains by Martin Moran (see photo at [www.edwardboyle.com]). When I saw these photos I thought I would never see such an extent so late in the year and that this was something that belonged to history - I was wrong, and I saw it yesterday!

Attachments: 2782.jpg (134kB)  
firefly

Date Posted: 07.04hrs on Tue 20 Oct 15
As of the 17th October there were still six patches on Geal-Charn, as seen from this photo: [farm6.staticflickr.com]

I suspect all six will survive the upcoming mild weather, but thereafter it's hard to say how long they'll last in the absence of lasting snow!

firefly

Date Posted: 20.37hrs on Wed 21 Oct 15
Tom a' Choinich's largest patch is now a certainty to survive. Here it is on 17 October. Convex and large. [flic.kr]

The second patch on the ridge is smaller, but also is looking likely to survive. [flic.kr]

Current Page:22 of 24
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: