You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:24 of 24
firefly

Re: 2015 Scottish snow patch season
Date Posted: 07.26hrs on Tue 10 Nov 15
There have been very mild temperatures of late, coupled with very heavy rainfall. This will have undoubtedly damaged the remaining snow to a fair degree. Hopefully the snow that's forecast for later in the week will be heavy and lasting to a few of the locations...

October's chart below, with no real surprises. It's been an abnormally mild autumn, which should hopefully give way to winter on the hills before too long!

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.04hrs on Tue 10 Nov 15
So, that warm dry October theory about winter.... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

firefly

Date Posted: 09.35hrs on Fri 13 Nov 15
I suspect that lasting snow has now arrived at Ben Nevis and the Aonachs (except for perhaps the Aonach Beag An Cuil Choire patch). Judging from the Glencoe webcams, heavy overnight snow with drifting has filled in east-facing gullies to an extent.

I also suspect that most of the patches in the NW Highlands (An Riabhachan, Tom a' Choinich, Sgurr na Lapaich, Toll Creagach) have seen lasting snow. Only the lower avalanche patches on SnL may yet need more snow. Also, I'm confident that Raeburn's Gully and Coire nan Gall patches on the Creag Meagaidh range have survived, and are now surrounded/covered with new. Geal-Charn I think will be in the same boat.

The Cairngorms are due to receive a good covering over the next 24 hours, but actually I think that Garbh Choire Mor's lasting snow came on Wednesday evening/Thursday morning. I've yet to see the level of cover on Macdui/Cairn Gorm today, but I'm hopeful that the snow that fell overnight will be lasting. The only issue is that Sunday's forecast is for torrential rain and milder temperatures.

I'll have a count-up of patches over the weekend, based on observations and notes. However, we're looking at (comfortably) the largest total since 1994, eclipsing 2000's 41 patches quite easily.

DrHosking

Last Visited: 16:08
18th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Fri 13 Nov 15
Lots of heavy snow falling across the Highlands at the moment, with more to come next week. Can probably safely say lasting snow has arrived!

firefly

Date Posted: 12.26hrs on Wed 18 Nov 15
A report on the final tally will follow this week, folks. Sorry for the delay, but factors beyond my control.

firefly

Date Posted: 16.03hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
As promised, here is a list of the survivals from winter 2014/2015. We're satisfied that the snow that's fallen is now lasting. In total 73 patches survived to winter, which is the most since 1994.

There are too many people to name individually, but as always we give out a massive 'thanks' to everyone for what has been an incredibly rewarding season. Certainly a vintage one, which will live long in the memory!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.06hrs Sun 22 Nov 15 by firefly.

Attachments: Survivals 1.JPG (95kB)   Survivals 2.JPG (75kB)  
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.03hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
Fantastic work by everyone to track so many patches through this summer. The next 10 days look like what we might call good base building weather!

Current Page:24 of 24
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: