You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Telegraph Article on Scottish Skiing
Date Posted: 11.30hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Loved the headline in the email through which I got this ... "POLICE CALLED TO GLENCOE AFTER RESORT 'MOBBED' AMID 'FANTASTIC' CONDITIONS " ...

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

..... good article overall but a real pity the author wrote the 2nd part like a typical south of Britain snobbish skier. What he forgets to say of course that for many in Britain the Scottish centres are much more easily accessible than the alps. I met a guy yesterday at the Coe who had driven up from Blackburn to be able to ski to the car park, and he was having a fantastic day he told me.

Pic attached has the "Glencoe" headline - got it in an email newsletter the Telegraph sends out.

Attachments: police called to Glencoe.jpg (25kB)  
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Re: Telegraph Article on Scottish Skiing
Date Posted: 11.45hrs on Tue 20 Jan 15
Agreed but I have come to the conclusion that skiing is a sport that attracts a lot of snobs, more so than other pastimes.

I was amazed when in Meribel last week how people, from Glasgow in this case, would go on about how great their hotel was and so focused on displaying how great their hotel was.

Who cares if it's not that Alps? It's great there as well as here. Mind you, if I worked from an office in London I would probably feel aggrieved also.

mtq1000

Last Visited: 18:19
15th Apr 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.58hrs on Wed 21 Jan 15
A number of points in that article got me. The comparision to St Anton is totally pointless. A better comparison would be to small local ski hills than mega corp ski areas. I was in Bormio over new year and whilst they have more uplift they only had 35kM of Piste open.....so figures like that are just silly to write in an article. Plus comparision to on piste food provision is also pointless. I have been to plenty of places in the alps where the food is just about the same level but costs about 3 times more, I am thinking of most of Switzerland and a lot of French out of the way ski hills. Beers costing 8 quid not being unusal and over 15 quid for a crappy burger out of a tin. The usual french fayre of tarteflette for 25 europes is not uncommon. Scottish on hill provision is very similar to New England provision in my experiance and a better comparison than the mega corp entities of much of the Alps.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 08.39hrs on Thu 22 Jan 15
sspeirs Wrote:
I met a guy yesterday at the Coe who had driven up from Blackburn to be able to ski to the car park, and he was having a fantastic day he told me.

I came up from Birmingham for the same reason.

The article also states that The Lecht was evacuated on Sunday as a precaution. I left at about 3.30pm on Sunday, so if the place was evacuated it was when the lifts were closing anyway. The police did stop southbound traffic for a while to plough the road.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.15hrs Thu 22 Jan 15 by tim1mw.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: