You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Re: Scottish Gov Funding to help Ski resorts
Date Posted: 17.29hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
growwild Wrote:
Good stuff now aw that's needed is more Scottish mps representing Scotland in westmidden

I am pretty sure that the vast majority of MP's representing Scottish constituencies at Westminster meet the SNP definition of "Scottish" winking smiley

Also how come it took the SNP so long to discover Scottish skiing?
muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 17.34hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
This is great news for the resorts.

Especially happy to hear about Glencoe's investment. Hopefully this will allow them to replace the Cliffy with something that goes a little higher up the mountain to allow access to the High Road and the Main Basin T-bar without having to head uphill.

One big question which will have a lot of bearing on what can be afforded is this: Can this money be used to buy used equipment from other resorts or does it have to be new kit?

I know from experience that National Lottery funding to charities cannot be used to buy used equipment, and I wonder if this cash comes with the same restrictions?
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.20hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Good point Muzza. I don't know the answer.

This is fantastic news and well done to the Scottish Government for supporting a key industry.

I'd be keen to understand what is meant by the Cairn Gorm statement re infrastructure.
growwild

Date Posted: 19.38hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
I am pretty sure that the vast majority of MP's representing Scottish constituencies at Westminster meet the SNP definition of "Scottish"

Also how come it took the SNP so long to discover Scottish skiing?

1. Not my definition anyway

2. I dunno, I'm still to hungover fae sunday tae think grinning smiley

I'm sure I have a few cliffy t-shirts kicking about, now might be a good time to sell them...
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.44hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
Great news! Exciting times ahead
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.15hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
DonaldM Wrote:

I'd be keen to understand what is meant by the Cairn Gorm statement re infrastructure.

Cairngorm Mountain Limited has already upgraded its infrastructure with support from HIE.

''As part of the new lease, HIE agreed to invest in enhancing the expected operating life of the existing surface ski tow network affecting all nine main ski-tows, including the WW Poma where we are looking to extend the lift and install a modern top station''

''During the summer of 2014, HIE undertook a tendering exercises to procure new motors and drives, safety panels. safety cabling and tower cabling, haul ropes and to refurbish gearboxes''

''Additionally, checks are being made on the integrity of the concrete ski-tow tower foundations, welds and galvanised thickness on the steel ski-tow towers. Any repairs will be amde as necessary''

''The budget set aside for this extensive programme of works is between £900,000 and £1,000,000, including VAT, and has been undertaken with a view to giving the network at least a further 10 years of life, although in reality, given proper maintenance procedures the operating life is likely to be longer''

''Prior to the start of the current ski season some of the new components were installed but the bulk of the work programme will be undertaken in summer 2015 subject to acceptable weather''

So there you have it. Although details were not included in the press release, Cairn Gorm will benefit from up to £1m of public funding for infrastructure maintenance/upgrading. The press release was just erroneous in saying that the work had already been done when the bulk of it has still to be done.

Kind regards

Olderalan
hillbillyhoopla

Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Tue 3 Feb 15
growwild Wrote:
Good stuff now aw that's needed is more Scottish mps representing Scotland in westmidden
I don't support sick beastminster sadists.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 08.46hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Olderalan Wrote:

''The budget set aside for this extensive programme of works is between £900,000 and £1,000,000, including VAT, and has been undertaken with a view to giving the network at least a further 10 years of life, although in reality, given proper maintenance procedures the operating life is likely to be longer''

Olderalan

Oh, so that's what the prospectus meant when it said that successful bidders must demonstrate access to capital funding (forgetting to mention that what they meant was from the taxpayer, not from real funding sources).
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.53hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Hipennine Wrote:
Olderalan Wrote:

Olderalan

Oh, so that's what the prospectus meant when it said that successful bidders must demonstrate access to capital funding (forgetting to mention that what they meant was from the taxpayer, not from real funding sources).

Can't disagree with that.

KR

Olderalan
brianwr

Last Visited: 20:09
26th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.47hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Doug_Bryce Wrote:
No idea how the money will be spent.
£1-2 million is small change compared to large scale alpine lift developments.
However it will make a massive difference to the Scottish areas.

Glenshee have already submitted planning permission for replacement Tiger chairlift up Cairnwell. I would presume this is part of the funding ? A chair linking Meall Odhar to Coire Fionn has also been suggested over the years.

Graham McCabe was on Radio Scotland on Saturday morning. With this funding they are going to do the Cairnwell replacement and a Meall Odhar chair although he didn't go into detail of where exactly this would go, just that it would provide access to snow sure areas when the lower runs are broken. So, I guess to link top of Sunnyside chair to the Meall Odhar poma or the cafe/Caenlochan?
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: