You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Stopping on Pistes
Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
people are the issue...what they have strapped to their feet is irrelevant...its about tuition and education, if my girls stop or block the piste they soon hear me telling them to move and not be so stupid.

what about leashes...?

and compulsory helmets...?

and of course the greatest of them all...sharing T-Bars....?

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

tim1mw

Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Wed 4 Feb 15
Anybody stopping where they block a pinch point or aren't visible is bad practice, skiers and boarders are equal offenders in my experience.

The most common reason why I stop is stop admire the view and "take in" the experience of being in a beautiful mountain environment. I don't think I would get the same experience and enjoyment if I went top to bottom on every run without stopping (although I am capable of doing this if I want to).

When I'm in a group it's about making sure that nobody has been left behind and giving the weaker members of the group a breather. Not everybody has the strength to go top to bottom without stopping, especially on longer runs. In particular, I always stop at junctions, even if the route has been discussed. It's way to easy for somebody to not pay full attention to a route discussion and go the wrong way, especially if they have gotten a bit behind and can't see the other members of the group.

mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 00.45hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
My biggest bugbear is skiers stopping and stringing out across a flat area/traverse (just the area where snowboarders need to keep up momentum).

Can't say I've ever come over a lip and nearly clattered someone in my entire snowboarding career.

swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.39hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
Doesn't matter whether it's skiers or boarders, they're just people who are out enjoying their day and maybe fancy having a blether and a bit of craic with their mates. As long as they don't hold up the lift queue who cares, really??

mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 14.28hrs on Thu 5 Feb 15
If they could refrain from standing across the entire traverse just below the top T-bar at Glencoe that would be lovely

sredna100

Date Posted: 17.17hrs on Sun 8 Feb 15
See pic

Attachments: SKI 8-2-15 005 (800x600).jpg (143kB)  
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 07.09hrs on Mon 9 Feb 15
Hahaha I knew this thread would go down well on here smiling smiley

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: