You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
IanF

Last Visited: 07:23
19th Apr 2018
Re: Glencoe 2015-17 development plans
Date Posted: 11.09hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
Slowing a chair for foot passengers going up seems straightforward, and there are few downward journeys at the start of the day.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 15.08hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
Now : about the suggestion of a new poma running below the east ridge winking smiley

Could open a huge amount of snow sure terrain ?
That would be suitable for beginners and more advanced skiers ?

Fresh lines below the east ridge. This zone has some of the best snow holding on the hill.

A poma running up the burn line behind (marked 'Leacann Na Braonaan' on OS maps) would transform the ski area. Not going to lie though...
It is nice having it quiet for those prepared to earn the turns grinning smiley

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 15.15hrs Sun 22 Feb 15 by Doug_Bryce.

Attachments: b (1).jpg (82kB)   b (2).JPG (26kB)  
walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 16.39hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
Any idea what the landowner/estate thinks about significantly expanding on the lift served terrain?

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
Within the existing ski area fine, expansion into new areas not keen at all unfortunately.

growwild

Date Posted: 19.57hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
Time for land reform for the greater good...

tim1mw

Date Posted: 23.45hrs on Sun 22 Feb 15
IanF Wrote:
The access chair is freezing for younger kids and on blustery days like Friday, my 8 year old, full of enthusiasm at the base, was ready to pack it in by the plateau! And that was with full face mask cover and no exposed skin.

I wonder if a few chairs with these on would help:

I found the image while looking for something else. I've never previously seen a double chair with a hood. That said it's not going to help the wind resistance and will also increase the load on the lift motor.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 23.10hrs on Mon 23 Feb 15
growwild Wrote:

It can't come soon enough and would help all the ski areas.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 07.06hrs on Tue 24 Feb 15
DonaldM Wrote:
growwild Wrote:
It can't come soon enough and would help all the ski areas.

FWIW : members of the Fleming family still regularly at Glencoe. For the last 50 years they have been quietly supportive of the ski area (even i think putting money in on occasion). My understanding was that they are more than happy for Meall A Bhuiridh to be used for snowsports but preferred that the infrastructure wasn't visible from their shooting lodge at Inveroan at Loch Tulla (so a short poma below East Ridge *might* not be an issue).

It is a nice story that the original rent (10% of a lift pass sale) which was agreed in 1955 still stands to this day some 60 years later. The late John MacLennan had a great story about knocking on the giant wooden doors of the estate and asking for permission to build a ski tow in the Main Basin. Apparently the wealthy laird, one of the richest men in the UK, who virtually invented merchant banking, took a real shine to the rough clydesiders and invited them them for a whisky. The rest is history...

I agree with the general sentiment that land in Scotland should be for the "people". There is something wrong about a small minority owning so much of the land mass. However would make 2 comments

1) Shooting estates aren't the worst use of land. They have helped preserved Scotlands mountains in their wild + empty state?
2) We have some of the most liberal "right to roam" laws in Europe. Thanks to the MCofS access to wild places for walkers, bikers and skiers is virtually unrestricted.

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07.14hrs Tue 24 Feb 15 by Doug_Bryce.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 10.44hrs on Tue 24 Feb 15
Some estates like the blackmount do a great job providing info for people, places to camp (e.g victoria bridge etc), encourage regeneration of pine woods etc, however there are a lot of estates that are not very people friendly (glen lyon for example) and some which have degraded the land through unsustainable deer numbers and heather burning. Yes it's better than having them covered in turbines (although thats more and more common these days) but there is a lot of room for improvement.
Thankfully our access rights are good - probably on par with the scandinavian countires.
I personally wouldn't like to see the ski areas expand much further than their existing areas, for a small country I think we have enough lifts....we just to upgrade and maintain them.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 13.22hrs Tue 24 Feb 15 by Andy.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.51hrs on Tue 24 Feb 15
I'm not saying the estate would not allow us to expand outwards just that we would need to make a very good case for it. As has been said above the estate have been brilliant landlords and we have absolutely no complaints at all about the support they have given us.

growwild

Date Posted: 13.34hrs on Tue 24 Feb 15
I would have thought resorts would have more access tae cash fae these dodgy bankers if they owned the land...

I dunno where the title deeds came from for these estates and wouldn't romanticize people who made and live of cash made at the expense of other cultures etc...

A licence to kill and a licence to bill tongue sticking out smiley

What about a museum at Glencoe?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.42hrs Tue 24 Feb 15 by growwild.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 14.05hrs on Tue 24 Feb 15

Shooting estates aren't the worst use of land. They have helped preserved Scotlands mountains in their wild + empty state?

Emphasis is very much on empty... Empty of biodiversity and empty of natural landscape characteristics, most certainly not wild unspoilt wilderness and glen after glen artificially empty of humans. For every remote old stone cottage that is now a ruin or a bothy, there would have been entire crofting townships pre-dating these cottages. But there is little trace to be found, while they were substantial enough dwellings they were built from materials that much more readily returned to the ground to leave little if any modern trace.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 14.06hrs Tue 24 Feb 15 by alan.

knobby

Last Visited: 07:12
11th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 21.52hrs on Wed 25 Feb 15
igloo4you Wrote:
I'm not saying the estate would not allow us to expand outwards just that we would need to make a very good case for it.

What would the business case be? Personally, I'd love it - would be another incentive to go for season passes for the family...:-)

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.25hrs on Thu 26 Feb 15
Doug_Bryce Wrote:

1) Shooting estates aren't the worst use of land. They have helped preserved Scotlands mountains in their wild + empty state?

Anyone who things that the Scottish mountains are in some "wild" state is suffering from delusions. A man made ecological wasteland would be a more accurate description. Sure the mountains themselves are not man made, but the mix of vegetation and animal life on them has been completely distorted and shaped by man.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 17.13hrs on Thu 26 Feb 15
jabuzzard Wrote:
Doug_Bryce Wrote:

Anyone who things that the Scottish mountains are in some "wild" state is suffering from delusions. A man made ecological wasteland would be a more accurate description. Sure the mountains themselves are not man made, but the mix of vegetation and animal life on them has been completely distorted and shaped by man.

For sure : A combination of deforestation, highland clearances and climate change (some of which is natural) means the highland landscape has changed dramatically over the last 1000-2000 years. However which parts of Europe haven't been untouched by man in the time frame ?

The alps are certainly a great mountain range - however the population is clearly much denser - every valley has a road, village, train line, cow sheds etc.

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: