You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:7 of 9
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Glenshee Summer 2015 Improvements
Date Posted: 12.46hrs on Fri 6 Nov 15
think this looks grand...flat roof up a mountain in winter may (hopefully) get a high load of snow on the roof, another wee job for Barry

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.17hrs on Fri 6 Nov 15
flugeryl Wrote:
think this looks grand...flat roof up a mountain in winter may (hopefully) get a high load of snow on the roof, another wee job for Barry

As long as the structural engineer has done his calculations correctly I don't see that being a problem. In fact snow is good insulator so one might consider all that snow as bonus free insulation. smiling smiley

Other things to consider are that snow does not slide of slopping roofs that well anyway, and when it does it's a hazard to people below. So a flat roof able engineered to take a couple of metres of snow on top might well be a better option.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.08hrs on Fri 6 Nov 15
How often does snow fall vertically at Glenshee anyway?
tim1mw

Date Posted: 00.22hrs on Sun 8 Nov 15
CMartindale Wrote:
How often does snow fall vertically at Glenshee anyway?

Like!
flugeryl

11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.13hrs on Tue 17 Nov 15
any up-to-date pics of new tiger chair

tim1mw

Date Posted: 13.21hrs on Sat 21 Nov 15
The Glenshee webcam seems to have managed a few more shots, from 18/11/15, 14:34. I can make out between 3 and 5 pylons and a significant amount of construction around the drive station next to the cafe.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.54hrs on Sat 21 Nov 15
Most if not all the towers are now standing, the ground level construction work is basically done so early snow would potentially help now to allow stuff to be moved into place by Piste Basher. Let's hope the powers that be are quicker off the mark than they were with the Baddoch Chair, the delays over certification off it were simply a disgrace and the UK government bothered to rectify the cableways farce because of the Boris Bubble!
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
alan Wrote:
Most if not all the towers are now standing, the ground level construction work is basically done so early snow would potentially help now to allow stuff to be moved into place by Piste Basher. Let's hope the powers that be are quicker off the mark than they were with the Baddoch Chair, the delays over certification off it were simply a disgrace and the UK government bothered to rectify the cableways farce because of the Boris Bubble!

Alan, are the drive/bull wheels in place? The founds were still being dug the week after the auction.

It really feels that this project was never intended to complete in time for 2015/16 and I don't know why. It's so typical Glenshee, huge momentum gained through the summer (Government announcement, Facebook output, Tiger Chair auction, STV articles, local media interest) and yet we're all left feeling flat as it becomes more and more obvious that this installation won't be ready. Made worse when compared to the stellar job Andy has done at Glencoe.

It seems there is no leader at Glenshee and that's given rise to a confusing policy over lifts. Talk of a new chair going in where no uplift currently exists is bewildering given the mess of core lifts like Carn Aosda, Cairnwell, Meall Odhar and Caenlochan.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 12.14hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
oversteer Wrote:

It really feels that this project was never intended to complete in time for 2015/16 and I don't know why. It's so typical Glenshee, huge momentum gained through the summer (Government announcement, Facebook output, Tiger Chair auction, STV articles, local media interest) and yet we're all left feeling flat as it becomes more and more obvious that this installation won't be ready. Made worse when compared to the stellar job Andy has done at Glencoe.

Glenshee's installation is much bigger than Glencoe's, so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. I suspect that Glencoe also made more use of outside contractors, which will mean that once the job is started, it will be completed more quickly. For all we know, GS staff were assisting with the work at GC. It's also possible that GS were deliberately timing things so that the latter stages of construction could take advantage of snow cover and piste basher use in order to keep the costs down.

I have no idea how the technicalities of lift construction work, but I have a strong suspicion that this is the kind of job where visible progress is pretty limited until very late in the construction job.

There appears to be a fairly significant structure visible on the webcam shot where the lower drive station should be, I don't think it's finished yet, but I would guess that the primary supports for the drive station are attached to the foundations. There is also a comparative lack of large lift parts laid out in the car park, which makes me think that most of the big parts are now on the hill, which is consistent with Alan's report.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 14.36hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
I seen a photo on someone's Facebook page which showed a crane parked next to the installed uprights of the base station. Also the drive unit which was sitting in the car park has moved (looking at webcam) so I suspect the drive station is now in place.

[edit] you can see the drive station in place on the webcam.

A lot of the pylons and their foundations were installed by helicopter and as you will know the weather has been very changeable recently. Even those being installed by crane/telehandler can't safely be done in bad weather.

I'm also aware that they have been organising for the new shop to be put in and replacing foundations on Caenlochan. If you look at the webcam you will see shiny new/regalvinised towers up there too.

The proposed construction time was always set to be August to December so I think it's a little early to be impatient.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.40hrs Sun 22 Nov 15 by CMartindale.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.02hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
Oversteer, No contractors used at Glencoe but we like Glenshee are still working flat out to complete things in time for the winter. Unfortunately there is a pretty short build window and things never go smoothly in these types of projects, whether it is weather causing issues, contractors not delivering on time or paperwork holdups. Rest assured everyone is doing the very best they can to deliver this new infrastructure on time.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.35hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
igloo4you Wrote:
Oversteer, No contractors used at Glencoe but we like Glenshee are still working flat out to complete things in time for the winter. Unfortunately there is a pretty short build window and things never go smoothly in these types of projects, whether it is weather causing issues, contractors not delivering on time or paperwork holdups. Rest assured everyone is doing the very best they can to deliver this new infrastructure on time.

Cheers Igloo - I can't help but feel you are being modest, though.

You posted pics on Facebook of load testing the chair after a very onerous overhaul. It looks like your new lift is complete too - with fencing?

Years ago, Glenshee would start installs during the school holidays. This thing seemed to start in September. I know that they have used some off-site staff (French excavator driver) which may have caused a delay.

My real worry is that the stuff that's left could prove very challenging; electrics, hydraulics and such like.

If you are telling me that Glenshee is as well run as Glencoe, I will accept to your opinion; but from the outside, I wish you were running Glenshee.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 15.38hrs on Mon 23 Nov 15
igloo4you Wrote:
Oversteer, No contractors used at Glencoe but we like Glenshee are still working flat out to complete things in time for the winter.

Andy, I've obviously underestimated your in-house resorces, so this makes your achivement even greater in my eyes.

I have no doubt that everybody is working hard. I suspect the late start on the new chair was partly caused by the need to remove the old one, most of the other lifts were installed on new routes, so no removal work was necessary. The main thing is that the foundations have been poured and the pylons put in place, that needs to happen before the snow starts. Everything else can be done with snow on the ground, so I still think there is still a good chance the Cairnwell chair will turn this season.

However, some official news would be nice! GS really need to up their game when it comes to posting a regular updates to get people excited.
flugeryl

11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.34hrs on Tue 24 Nov 15
the tops are not on all the towers yet or the cable caring kit...think some prep work cleaning this used equipment is also getting done as its installed

every confidence the GS crew can get this done and authorised for the start of this year (GS only has cosmetic snow at this time with some mild days in-between snow showers to come)

IanF

Last Visited: 07:23
19th Apr 2018
Date Posted: 17.32hrs on Tue 24 Nov 15
An update is now on the Glenshee Facebook page

[m.facebook.com]

Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:7 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: