You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Re: Lift Developments in Scotland
Date Posted: 08.28hrs on Sun 1 Mar 15
Maybe we need an online map where all the fantasy lifts and runs could be marked on ? That's a bit beyond my technical ability though !

tim1mw

Date Posted: 12.15hrs on Sun 1 Mar 15
Maf Wrote:
Maybe we need an online map where all the fantasy lifts and runs could be marked on ? That's a bit beyond my technical ability though !

Hi Maf, this is relatively easy to do if you have the PC version of Google Earth. All you have to do is draw "paths" on the map to represent lifts and polygons for the runs. There is a tutorial here: [support.google.com]. The result can be saved as a KMZ file and uploaded to websites/forums etc if you want to share them. Alternatively, you can save the current view as an image. eg, this is what you could do at the Lecht:

If you download my Google Earth overlay, you'll find that all of the hard work in terms of mapping the existing infrastructure has been done for you. It's based on a combination of GPS traces and aerial image analysis.

[www.my-place.org.uk]

The full version of the overlay also includes historical information and published but un-built expansion proposals. This is all hidden by default, but ticking the relevant boxes will cause it to pop up. I've also included a load of my own personal "Fantasy" improvements.

If you don't have Google Earth, you can still click on the "View in Google Maps" link to see the core overlay information.

Out of interest, if anybody out there has a decent set of GPS traces from the Back Corries (and The Nid Wall) at Nevis showing the (nominal) official routes to the foot of the Braveheart, I'd love to have a copy (please PM me). I haven't been able to coincide a visit to Scotland with this lift being open for over 10 years, so I've never mapped it properly and it's very difficult to tell from the aerial images where the routes actually are.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 19.39hrs Sun 1 Mar 15 by tim1mw.

Attachments: lecht-expand-north.png (350kB)   lecht-expand-south.png (330kB)  
teleshred

Last Visited: 13:22
10th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 19.29hrs on Sun 1 Mar 15
I think the plans above for the lecht are spot on (although sadly unlikely!). If you had to pick one, I think to the north off the shoulder of the harrier would be it. A great pitch and length of run and a different aspect. Have skied down there a good few times a couple seasons back so i can vouch for it! I think a lift there would be like the lecht's Glas Maol; a lift that gets people excited and wanting to go up!

somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 23.33hrs on Sun 1 Mar 15
wow. if that infrastructure was put in at the lecht i'd choose it over cairngorm. the hidden valley especially would be brilliant.

benim83n

Last Visited: 12:13
17th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 14.28hrs on Mon 2 Mar 15
And here is an OS version of the fantasy Lecht extension....

This would really make the Lecht!

(the levels are bit off but It was a quick job done in a lunch break tongue sticking out smiley)

Attachments: digimap_roam.pdf (336kB)  
Jamie

Date Posted: 17.20hrs on Mon 2 Mar 15
The Lecht has in the past produced detailed plans and maps for expansion into these areas (installation of Poma lift network in the bowl to the west of Snowy Owl, and to the east in the bowls over the back of the Buzzard - as well as some other 'in bounds' lifts that never happened such as the proposed Hawk tow on the Buzzard side that would have extended up from the cattle grid beside Tosh's house) in various development plans drawn up in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Makes for interesting reading.

Maf wrote:
Imagine .... A detachable chair on the Tiger !!!

There was one on the White Lady in 1961 :-)

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.35hrs on Mon 2 Mar 15
Now that the high voltage pylon line is defunct through the Lecht Pass a really neat improvement to the Lecht would be to extend the Buzzard Poma over the A939 such that it starts beside the Falcon Poma and you could switch seamlessly between the two sides.

Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.50hrs on Thu 2 Apr 15
I've just returned from a trip to the Alps and some idle chitchat with a lift man uncovered 2 second hand wire rope tows available for 5000 euros each. They can be up to 300 m long and can cope with surprisingly steep slopes. That gives you some real cost info. I was told they'd cost around 7000 euro new.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.12hrs on Tue 7 Apr 15
Jamie Wrote:
The Lecht has in the past produced detailed plans and maps for expansion into these areas (installation of Poma lift network in the bowl to the west of Snowy Owl, and to the east in the bowls over the back of the Buzzard - as well as some other 'in bounds' lifts that never happened such as the proposed Hawk tow on the Buzzard side that would have extended up from the cattle grid beside Tosh's house) in various development plans drawn up in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Makes for interesting reading.

Jamie, I meant to ask before, are these plans still available anywhere?

Jamie

Date Posted: 08.18hrs on Wed 8 Apr 15
tim1mw Wrote:
Jamie Wrote:

Jamie, I meant to ask before, are these plans still available anywhere?

Hi Tim, I have copies of it all that I can look out. I can also provide you with accurate coordinates for the Mar Lodge tows and pistes.

Jamie

tim1mw

Date Posted: 11.51hrs on Fri 10 Apr 15
Jamie Wrote:
Hi Tim, I have copies of it all that I can look out. I can also provide you with accurate coordinates for the Mar Lodge tows and pistes.

That's great, thanks! I can add the data to my Google Earth overlay. I've got GPS co-ordinates for the Mar Lodge tows, but not the pistes, so any thing you can add to that is much appreciated.

Jamie

Date Posted: 17.26hrs on Fri 10 Apr 15
tim1mw Wrote:
That's great, thanks! I can add the data to my Google Earth overlay. I've got GPS co-ordinates for the Mar Lodge tows, but not the pistes, so any thing you can add to that is much appreciated.

Hi Tim,

Attaching Mar Lodge piste map (the blue represents the snowmaking pipe work)

Jamie

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.29hrs Fri 10 Apr 15 by Jamie.

Attachments: image.jpg (283kB)  
muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Fri 10 Apr 15
Strange how the longer tow and the bottom of the runs cross the minor road, doubt that would work well.

Jamie

Date Posted: 15.51hrs on Sun 12 Apr 15
Hi Muzza the road was closed to traffic during the ski season, and was snow covered at that point to enable the runs and ski tow to cross (note: the longer ski tow from Mar Lodge was moved to become the Cairnwell T-Bar at Glenshee, which still runs today!)

steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Sun 12 Apr 15
The name of the house to the west of the tows is called Claybokie, the same as the poma at Glenshee.

Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: