You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Winterhighland Android App Launched
Date Posted: 12.47hrs on Thu 12 Mar 15
great app, wifi at resorts with live update from ski patrol on lift openings would be just perfect, same from roads network about road openings...etc

an app every scottish skier/snowboarder should have

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Thu 12 Mar 15
tim1mw Wrote:
geeo Wrote:
Hi Tim

Thx very much for adding those links that's great really fast to check the situation now, I have noticed that clicking on the email address or phone number opens another browser? window it's not a normal browser as I cant go to a different url but it says web page not available at tel:01855851226 or the email address and i'm unable to go back or close the app I have to close it from the home button.

Also when I open the webcams I don't get a proper image, I can almost see the winterhighland banner so something is loading, is this my phones issue?

using a s4 mini on 4.4.2
thx again

Hi Geeo, I just checked all the webcam pages and they seem to be working OK, so if the problem goes away, I concur with Alan. If the problem doesn't go away, then try going into the config and turn off the "sequential webcam download" option.

Regarding the phone number and email address, nothing should be happening when you tap on them, they are only present for reference. There isn't anything in the code which "activates" phone numbers and email addresses in any way, nor have I seen this happening in 4.4.2 on the emulator, or any other android version, so this is really odd! "tel:0123456789" is mentioned in quite a few places as a way in which you can create a tapable link for a phone number. However, there is nothing in my app which could possibly generate such a link!

It is possible that something outside of the Winterhighland app on your phone has spotted the phone numbers and email addresses and tried to turn them into a standard link in order to be helpful and but the link then fails to work because it isn't supported by the phone. Do you have any Apps which interact with your web browser to enhance your browsing experience? The Winterhighland app uses a web based display layer so it could be affected by web browser settings etc.

I have tried creating a tel: style link as a test on my Galaxy S3 Ace and got the same error which you are seeing, so it would seem that Samsung phones don't actually support this link format. So why such a link would get generated on your phone outside of my code is a real mystery.

Hi Tim

Just checked the webcams and they all load ok now.

The phone numbers and email still try to launch in a webpage, I stopped almost everything on my phone and it still happened and I don't have anything installed that would do that as far as I know, it doesn't happen on any other webpages etc where phone numbers or email addresses are present, it's not a problem to me though.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 13.27hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
geeo Wrote:
Just checked the webcams and they all load ok now.

Great!
geeo Wrote:
The phone numbers and email still try to launch in a webpage, I stopped almost everything on my phone and it still happened and I don't have anything installed that would do that as far as I know, it doesn't happen on any other webpages etc where phone numbers or email addresses are present, it's not a problem to me though.

The Phone numbers and email thing is still a bit of a mystery, I've not seen them turn into links on any of my test setups (of which I have quite a few).

I'll probably have a go at creating the links correctly in the app, that might then override whatever it is on your phone that is trying and failing to create the link automatically.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 22.24hrs on Mon 16 Mar 15
Version 1.06 of the App was uploaded onto the Play store a few hours ago, it should be pushed out via the normal update process version soon. The main improvements relate to making the email addresses and phone numbers tappable. I've also added the resort GPS co-ordinates and made that into a link which will start up Google Maps/Earth/Other Sat nav.

Geeo: I'm hoping that having added code which creates links that do work, this will now override whatever it is on your phone that is automatically creating links that don't work. Please let me know if it does any good.

kaiserpc

Last Visited: 15:39
31st Mar 2020
Date Posted: 15.16hrs on Tue 28 Apr 15
Just started the app for the 1st time in a few weeks (I have the latest version - 1.07) after the snow at the weekend, and ....

Everything is absolutely tiny, it's now using less than a quarter of the screen to display the main page - "All Resorts", and the font is so small it's unreadable. The app iteself is still full screen but everything within it is tiny.

I'm on Android Lollipop 5.0.2, using a Motorola Moto G, the app used to fill the screen fine on previous versions

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.26hrs on Wed 29 Apr 15
Tim-
if it's not a trade secret, where the blankety blank do you get the A93/Slide webcam pic from? I've looked all over and it's really bugging me!

tim1mw

Date Posted: 17.19hrs on Wed 29 Apr 15
Bomp Wrote:
Tim-
if it's not a trade secret, where the blankety blank do you get the A93/Slide webcam pic from? I've looked all over and it's really bugging me!

I think it was a posting on this forum somewhere, but it might also have been a PM. Some of the webcam links did require a bit of detective work. However, the link I'm using is:

[localapps.pkc.gov.uk]

Exactly where the official webpage which shows this camera lives is a mystery to me too!

tim1mw

Date Posted: 17.25hrs on Wed 29 Apr 15
kaiserpc Wrote:
Just started the app for the 1st time in a few weeks (I have the latest version - 1.07) after the snow at the weekend, and ....

Everything is absolutely tiny, it's now using less than a quarter of the screen to display the main page - "All Resorts", and the font is so small it's unreadable. The app iteself is still full screen but everything within it is tiny.

I'm on Android Lollipop 5.0.2, using a Motorola Moto G, the app used to fill the screen fine on previous versions

Hmmm... That's really odd. 1.07 was a really trivial update which only added the "clear image cache" option to the config page, there were no layout changes. I take it that you haven't made any changes to the display options on your phone in the interim. Are you aware of any Android OS updates having been made since you last used the app?

My first suggestion is that you find Winterhighland in the Android app manager and use the "Clear data" and "Clear cache" options to reset the app.

eagles

Last Visited: 17:56
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.01hrs on Wed 29 Apr 15
I have had the same problem over the past few days. Miniscule writing and all too small to see?

NeilH

Last Visited: 15:36
11th Dec 2018
Date Posted: 21.35hrs on Wed 29 Apr 15
Me too. The app displays in a small part of the screen with miniscule writing.

Moto G running Android 5.0.2, Winter Highland version 1.07.

I cleared the webcam image cache (using a magnifying glass ro read the screeen) but that did mot help.

Any other suggestions?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.40hrs Wed 29 Apr 15 by NeilH.

Attachments: Winter Highland app error.jpg (124kB)  
tim1mw

Date Posted: 07.29hrs on Thu 30 Apr 15
Ok, it looks like i'm going to have to get an Android 5.0.2 test setup going. 5.0.1 is currently the most recent tested. Watch this space.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 12.45hrs on Fri 1 May 15
kaiserpc, NeilH, eagles

I haven't managed to replicate this problem directly, Google haven't released an emulator system images for Android 5.0.2 and I can't replicated this problem on 5.0.1 or 5.1.1. However, I have managed to deliberately induce the problem on my tablet by changing some of the internal defaults which are used for rendering the app, so I suspect something is causing the underlying default scaling settings to change on your devices, thereby upsetting the display (I was using the Android defaults).

I've now added some code to my beta test version which should ensure that the default is now overridden with the correct setting for the App. You should all have had a PM from me by now regarding getting access to the test version so that I can be sure this has fixed the problem before I release this to the wider world.

Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: