You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Experience getting landowner's permission for powered vehicle?
Date Posted: 18.21hrs on Fri 27 Feb 15
I see an argocat on ebay for 500 GBP.

Does anybody have experience approaching land/estate owners for permission to use a powered vehicle to get to and/or up the mountains in winter? I guess some are more willing than others.

The hills around Loch Monar look good for an easy up the shoulder to good terrain. Over the loch to get there!
sweepy

Last Visited: 08:14
29th Apr 2017
Re: Experience getting landowner's permission for powered vehicle?
Date Posted: 23.27hrs on Fri 27 Feb 15
Loch Monar they are picky about letting cars in on the road, I don't rate your chances there.
waleydogg

Last Visited: 13:34
22nd Jul 2019
Date Posted: 19.18hrs on Wed 11 Mar 15
Hey Sweepy,

Do you know the local area well? Are you talking about the Glen Strathfarrer road? I dont know the area at all but was hoping it was a public road up to the dam.

Thanks,
Graham
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.33hrs on Wed 11 Mar 15
Glen Strathfarrar access is via a road that has a locked gate at the east end at Struy! The gate access is monitored by a gatekeeper employed by the estate, who logs vehicles in ... and out !! "Opening" times are seasonal, and I think summer access ends at 8pm ? Not sure about the Winter, but for obvious reasons access is sometimes not available.

Personally, I think this is one area you can forget about trying to access. I am all for access, but this glen, partially due to restrictions, has to be near the top of beautiful Glens in mainland Scotland. I took a friend up it last year who had never been and he was well impressed, and myself, having "done" lots of it's hills and worked at most of it's Hydro facilities, can understand the restrictions and the sparse beauty !
waleydogg

Last Visited: 13:34
22nd Jul 2019
Date Posted: 01.07hrs on Thu 12 Mar 15
Hey Gorminator,

Thanks for the info and comments. Im trying to understand where there is nice ski terrain in Scotland which you (might) be able to give yourself a ride into, or partially up, when the snow is in so that a few runs is possible instead of just 1 or 2 from pure hiking. Im living in Canada just now but moving home this year. Im on google earth and just scouring around to get re-aquainted with the scottish hills and getting excited about some new areas to explore. Ive been spolied in BC with the skiing here and am keep to get pumped about skiing scottish hills again.

Loch Monar area looks really nice. Im looking forward to going there and having a scout around.

Cheers,
Graham
Crofty

Last Visited: 14:59
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.53hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
Graham I would,nt go buying anything till you get back to Scotland and get acquainted with the access situation.
Anything with a motor is usually frowned upon on anything but the public highway.
Access from landowners is very difficult to obtain and for the purposes of accessing off piste skiing I would think next to impossible.
Scomuir

Date Posted: 12.47hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
Buy a mountain bike. Buy a bike trailer if you aren't keen to carry your stuff on your back. Cheaper, more flexible, no permission required.
paulo

Last Visited: 21:31
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
Those French guys with the video on the Glencoe thread were using a vehicle... Glen Lyon I think. I assume they had permission...
Crofty

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.40hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
That's probably the exception that proves the rule.
looks like a bit of a corporate junket/cultural exchange what with the rugby/whisky and all the adds on the Snow Trac.
perhaps an invitation from the estate or they are very well connected. Fantastic video though
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 20.00hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
That was Iain with the Zag Skis Snow-trac in Glen Lyon ! A lot of work went into getting permission for this outing !
Crofty

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.11hrs on Fri 13 Mar 15
Gorminator Thanks for the explanation,
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: