You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
firefly

Snow patches in England and Wales 2015
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Thu 5 Mar 15
I've (rightly) been prompted to get this thread up-and-running! The last few years' threads on here have been excellent, and another one for 2015 will be welcome.

As usual in westerly-dominated winters, the Lake District is doing well on easterly aspects. The top 500ft of Helvellyn has nice a build-up, and I expect this to be a candidate for last snow in England.

The Peak District is carrying some good-sized wreaths on NE facing aspects, with the one at Issues Clough on Black Hill [streetmap.co.uk] still a good size. A local observer is keeping an eye on that. With a bit of luck we'll have April snow on this range, as it's been a decent winter for snow.

I have scant reports of the Pennines (Cross Fell), but I imagine there's a reasonable amount still to be had. I'll post up some stuff in due course.

In Wales, Donald Perkins is, as usual, doing excellent work with his website: [www.llansadwrn-wx.info] Always a useful source of information. Given the direction of snow this year I expect there to be a useful amount still at Y Ffoes Ddyfn (pronounced uh foyce THOOv'n). I am planning a trip down there at Easter (hopefully picking up the Peak District, too).

Any observations, please do post up here.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.01hrs Thu 5 Mar 15 by firefly.

oldagedpredator

Last Visited: 18:17
19th Feb 2021
Re: Snow patches in England and Wales 2015
Date Posted: 00.00hrs on Fri 6 Mar 15
I was back over to Teesdale in the North Pennines (just in case anyone's reading this and doesn't know the area) last Saturday. Lowest / most easterly snow remaining looked to be about 310m on Crossthwaite common in the NW quarter of grid NY93 24.

In general not much on West facing slopes. Former Teesdale ski club site has a large patch behind the hut, area of NY845 324. A number of large patches also on the East side of Three Pikes in the area of Three Comb.

The old Harwood Ski Club site looked to have a near continuous ribbon of snow from the top of the gully to the road side.

Unfortunately I didnt have my camera. Yadcams - www.yadmoss.co.uk give a good idea of coverage on Dun Fells / Cross Fell and the plateau. New angles on the Weardale webcams less so, the usual Chapel Fell Top patch isn't in the field of view anymore.

North side of Cross Fell, when I have seen it this year has looked a bit underwhelming. The area of Teeshead is probably the better bet for the snow patches this year.

Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Sun 8 Mar 15
I'm living back in Cumbria again now after a spell down south and I can see Cross Fell from where I live in the Eden Valley. I'm sorry to report that there is very little to be seen on the western side, just a couple of tiny patches towards the southern end of the summit escarpment. There may be more on the eastern slopes but I fear not. There has not been much build up at all this winter in the Pennines and the recent thaw has cleared the lot just about.

The Lake District fells look much better. Definately good accumulations on most easterly aspects. Firefly, did you see the photos of the avalanches on Blencathra last month? There were two fairly major slides - one at c. 700m and the other at only c.400m!
I'll sort some photos later.

Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 22.25hrs on Mon 9 Mar 15
Here are a few photos of the avalanche last month in Mousthwaite Combe, Blencathra. This area is pretty low altitude but had a big build up of snow which avalanched across a wide area. The 2 close up pictures show impressive snow depth. There was another full depth avalanche higher up but on the day I was there the visibilty was very poor and I don't have many good photos. The crown wall of the remaining snow was up to 2 metres high.

I know that this is not strictly snow patch observations, but does give some indications of the build up in some areas in the Lakes.

Attachments: 1.JPG (243kB)   2.JPG (182kB)   3.JPG (192kB)   4.JPG (74kB)  
firefly

Date Posted: 05.54hrs on Wed 11 Mar 15
Thanks, Stringy. Useful stuff. Here are a few tweets from various people. Self-explanatory.

[twitter.com]
[twitter.com]
[twitter.com]

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 06.55hrs on Wed 11 Mar 15
Still plenty of shallowish patches around the Yorkshire dales down to about 300 m.

oldagedpredator

19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 08.19hrs on Thu 19 Mar 15
Another drive along the B6277 from Middleton to Alston then over Hartside yesterday. Crooks o' Green Fell NY902 249 looks to be the most easterly patch on the south side of Teesdale, Generally still a lot of snow patches with frequency and size really ramping up above 650-700m. Very few patches on the N side of the valley. Weardale and Yad Moss Cams give a reasonable impression of cover / distrobution.

Cloud was down but it looked like there were large snow patches - 100's m on the North side of Arngill Head Brocks in the area of Long Crag.

On the former ski club sites - Teesdale, patch behind hut is shrinking and breaking; Harwood, patch no longer reaches roadside (stops 150-250(ish)m short) and is broken at points along it's length.

Cross Fell was out of the cloud but the new snow made it difficult to get and idea of patches on the N side of the summit.

firefly

Date Posted: 21.38hrs on Sat 21 Mar 15
Thanks, OAP. Most useful.

Here's a selection of very useful photos of Helvellyn from today: [grahamuney.wordpress.com]

oldagedpredator

19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Sat 21 Mar 15
I was out on Raise, got a few overview pics of Blencathra and the Dodds from the A5091 near Rooking House. There are a few patches on the other side as well - mostly on burn lines. Rest to follow but here's one for now.

Skiddaw's not got that much at all, patches visible from Keswick and a smattering of small patches on the shoulder around Randel crag on the Bassenthwaite side.

Blencathra by onemanmows, on Flickr

firefly

Date Posted: 20.30hrs on Sun 22 Mar 15
A very good set of pics from yesterday of Helvellyn: [grahamuney.wordpress.com]

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Sun 22 Mar 15
Great day on Raise and Helvellyn today, but where is eveyone ?

pics in the public reports section. Sorry to miss you yesterday OAP. Nics pics....as always.

oldagedpredator

19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.31hrs on Sun 22 Mar 15
Bit of a drive round the Pennines amongst other things today. Fairly good view of the patches round North Lakes / some of dales and North Pennines. High Street looked to have a good cover of snow. No pics.

Small patches visible on Wild Boar Fell (guessing area of The Nab) and High Pike Hill (area of crags E of Fair Hill) from Brough. Didn't venture into the Upper Eden / Mallerstang area so can't say much more.

No roadside Patches on the B6276, biggest collection of patches visible from road were on Mickle Fell - Boot of Mickle Fell. In Teesdale Green Fell is still most SE patch. North side of the valley very very few patches visible. Mostly hidden in hollows and gully areas, probably only few sq m in size. Upper Hudeshope Valley above Middleton - E of Weatherbeds (roughly) one or two patches.

Snow still hanging on but greatly reduced at the former Teesdale Ski club site. Still large clusters of patches in Three Comb on the N side of Three Pike to the NW of the ski club site. Patches in Harthope Quarries (all) with the largest being the W side of summit.

Cluster of patches Scaud Hill nr the former Harwood Ski Club site. Roadside snow patches between Harwood Ski club layby and county boundary. Few patches visible on the E side of Great Dun Fell, including what seems to be the old East Drift tow site. SE side of Cross Fell has Wreaths but did not seem to have large patches in the area of Tees Head. North side of Cross has extensive patches.

Cross Fell - West Face by onemanmows, on Flickr

Cross Fell - South East side (Tees Head far right of pic) by onemanmows, on Flickr

Cross Fell - North Face by onemanmows, on Flickr

Mickle Fell - W end of SE Face by onemanmows, on Flickr

Great Dun Fell - East side (East Drift site visible) by onemanmows, on Flickr

Will add more to the set over next week or so: [flic.kr]

firefly

Date Posted: 09.15hrs on Mon 23 Mar 15
Smashing pictures, OAP. I'm planning a jaunt up Cross Fell during Easter week. Hopefully quite a bit to see.

Stringy

15th May 2020
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Mon 23 Mar 15
Hi Firefly,

If you fancy company on your Cross Fell jaunt over Easter, how about meeting up? I will probably head up there sometime soon anyway (have not been up for a few weeks!) and would be keen to meet a fellow snow patch enthusiast. It's potentially interesting up there this year because there does not seem to be much snow in the usual spots as visible from the Eden Valley, so some hunting may be required. If you don't know the hill I could show you some of the interesting features that may get overlooked.
Incidentaly, I went winter climbing on Helvellyn etc last Wednesday and can report some very impressive snow depths in the coves.

David.

Attachments: Head of Brown Cove..JPG (155kB)  
jonathan

Last Visited: 12:34
7th Sep 2018
Date Posted: 22.30hrs on Mon 23 Mar 15
Here's a couple of pics looking at the south facing side of Cheviot this last weekend. Glad to see so much snow here which means a trip to the Bizzle area over Easter will be in order!

Attachments: Saturday 21st March.jpg (119kB)   Sunday 22nd March.jpg (144kB)  
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: