You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
firefly

Re: 2015 August snow survey
Date Posted: 13.09hrs on Mon 20 Jul 15
Excellent, Donald. Sgurr nan Clahan Geala, Sgurr na Lapaih an An Riabhachan? The latter should easily be visible from the top of Sgurr na Lapaich.

AlTodd

Last Visited: 07:04
28th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 07.31hrs on Tue 21 Jul 15
edog2009 Wrote:
I will do Creag Meagaidh again this year Iain! I was surprised at the extent of the snowpatches there last year, looks like there will be even more this year.

Ed, there are two locations this year holding enormous snow which will need checked out during the Meagaidh survey. I've shown them on the attached map and include photos taken on the 19th July. The location of the patches lying above Garva bridge are shown in blue

Attachments: Meagaidh.jpg (367kB)   P2060074e.jpg (371kB)   P2060076e.jpg (333kB)  
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.25hrs on Tue 21 Jul 15
Aaahh, Min Coire ?

Is that where all these darned Minions are multiplying from Al ?

edog2009

Last Visited: 08:15
24th Jul 2017
Date Posted: 12.54hrs on Tue 21 Jul 15
AlTodd, many thanks for this information - I think I may have missed patches in the location of Coire a'Bhein on my visit to Creag Meagaidh last year - my plan this year is to visit Garva Bridge by car and view these locations from the road before I do the high circuit walk.

AlTodd

28th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 13.36hrs on Tue 21 Jul 15
Ed, you'll need to go almost as far as Melgarve to see the patch located at Min Corrie although I may be at Laggan that weekend in which case I'll save you the drive.

George - we may need legions of minions to count all the snow patches this year!

George_mar_lodge

Last Visited: 21:03
9th Aug 2016
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Wed 22 Jul 15
Could do Beinn Bhrotain - Monadh Mor or any other part of the 'gorms/ upper Deeside that needs covered.

firefly

Date Posted: 13.30hrs on Wed 22 Jul 15
Great news, George. Yes please!

If you could cover those two, and get a good look at Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch, whose snow you'll be looking directly on to, then that'd be enormously useful.

Many thanks.

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Wed 22 Jul 15
firefly Wrote:
Excellent, Donald. Sgurr nan Clahan Geala, Sgurr na Lapaih an An Riabhachan? The latter should easily be visible from the top of Sgurr na Lapaich.

Yes I will do those Iain. I'll prepare a bit better this time!

firefly

Date Posted: 06.36hrs on Thu 23 Jul 15
DonaldM Wrote:
firefly Wrote:

Yes I will do those Iain. I'll prepare a bit better this time!

Excellent, Donald! I don't know if anyone would be willing to go with you, but I suspect the following locations could well have snow:

Sgurr na Lapaich
Sgurr nan Clachan Geala
An Riabhachan (Coire Gnada and Coire Riabhachan)
An Socach

I think the latter's snow, if there, will be easily visible from An Riabhachan. I've taken the week off work between the 17-21 August, so if you're able to do the Thursday (20th) then I'd be very interested in coming along. It's a part of the world I've seldom visited, so this represents an ideal opportunity.

firefly

Date Posted: 06.39hrs on Thu 23 Jul 15
George_mar_lodge Wrote:
Could do Beinn Bhrotain - Monadh Mor or any other part of the 'gorms/ upper Deeside that needs covered.

Also, George, if you're doing these two then - as well as An Sgarsoch etc being visible - you'll be able so see whether any snow still occurs on the hills around Gln Ey, such as Siocach, Carn Bhac, Carn a' Bhutha. Very useful indeed!

Can you email me on iainjamescameron@hotmail.com?

firefly

Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Sun 16 Aug 15
Here's an update on who's doing what for next weekend. Any comments are most welcome. I'm trying to do so much that my head is starting to hurt!

Cairngorms, NE Highlands etc
Lochnagar, Colin Miller & Glyn Jones
Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mór etc, George Charles (Mar Lodge)
Beinn a' Bhuird & Ben Avon (N), Edward Stuart
Beinn a' Bhuird & Ben Avon, Ken Thomson
Lairig Ghru etc, Gayle Samson
Cairn Gorm et al, Ruari Macdonald
Ben Macdui, Mick McKie
Various, Adam Watson

Weather permitting it should be possible to pick up the Braeraich/Cairn Toul snows, as well as those of An Sgarsoch and surrounding hills.

Glas Maol, Brian Lawrie

West
Meall a' Bhuiridh, Clach Lethead etc, Andy Meldrum & Jac Roberts
Bidean nam Bian, Glen Coe Skyline event marshals (from Aonach Eagach)
Nevis area, Iain Cameron, Mark Atkinson, Al Todd
Grey Corries - various observers not on WH. Private communications

Creag Meagaidh, Ardverikie
Eddie Boyle

Southern Highlands
Various hills by various observers, not on WH. Private communications

NW Highlands
John Pottie, Calum Anton, Donald Morris

The only real gap we have is in the Ben Alder range. Although Da Kishman has indicated that he can do this on Thursday or Sunday.

AlTodd

28th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 07.02hrs on Mon 17 Aug 15
Might have a gap in the NW Highlands as there is still snow on the Glen Shiel hills, the Affric hills, the Fannaichs, the Strathfarrar hills and the Beinn Dearg area. 3 volunteers maybe needs beefed up

firefly

Date Posted: 18.23hrs on Mon 17 Aug 15
I don't think there's any need for Beinn Dearg, Al, as I've had private communications. There will be three large patches there. See here from a couple of days ago. [www.flickr.com]

I spoke with seasoned spotter John Pottie last night, and he and Calum Anton reckon they can cover most of the patches, with help from Donald, who is going to his usual beat.

I don't think for a minute we are going to get every patch, but I think we'll get the vast majority. Also, I've got lots of photos coming to me tonight from an observer who was out in the NW Highlands over the last few days. This should give a very useful indication of what's needing done.

eddy0810

Last Visited: 13:36
26th Oct 2015
Date Posted: 10.27hrs on Tue 18 Aug 15
Are you needing anyone to do anything in the East? I'm up for helping if needed.

snmartin

Last Visited: 06:22
4th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 16.17hrs on Tue 18 Aug 15
Without doubt Shiel and Affric will need counted. I only posted 2 fotos on FRi but I have half a dozen more of the area that will last. Especially on the north side do Shiel away from road view.

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: