You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:4 of 16
eric

Last Visited: 18:40
6th Mar 2021
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2016
Date Posted: 16.40hrs on Mon 11 Jan 16
Many thanks for continuing to post your great pikkies and ski condition reports on WH. It is far better than having them just on Facebook since: (i) having everything re. C/gorm snow etc. in one place means that it is very easy to scroll back; and, (ii) so much other stuff gets posted on Facebook that unless you check it on a very regularly basis you can easily miss stuff. So do please keep them coming - much appreciated!
Eric

geoffers

Last Visited: 05:58
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.24hrs on Mon 11 Jan 16
eric Wrote:
Many thanks for continuing to post your great pikkies and ski condition reports on WH. It is far better than having them just on Facebook since......
....FB is blocked at work, so when sneaking a cheeky-peek in the daytime, I'm not able to view the piccies :-(

Cheers, Geoff

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Mon 11 Jan 16
geoffers Wrote:
eric Wrote:
Many thanks for continuing to post your great pikkies and ski condition reports on WH. It is far better than having them just on Facebook since..........FB is blocked at work, so when sneaking a cheeky-peek in the daytime, I'm not able to view the piccies :-(

Cheers, Geoff

I agree with all the comments but it just takes so much time. We need to petition Allan to change the posting GUI as telemarker said. I will continue to post a few pics in this thread.

Any one go up today? Are the runs improving to the car park?I had VAT returns to do sad smiley

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.39hrs on Mon 11 Jan 16
What sort of file size are we talking about? Any number of photos can be uploaded with a single selection of images, they don't have to be uploaded at one time. - The constraint on that is partly the upload speed available (a factor which has been limiting resolution of Glencoe's webcams).

We will be re-arranging the hosting of the site to split image processing and archiving, after we've finished selling Warren Miller Tickets through WH. This will substantially remove host constraints on image uploads which are currently 6mb per file.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 08.22hrs on Tue 12 Jan 16
alan Wrote:
What sort of file size are we talking about? Any number of photos can be uploaded with a single selection of images, they don't have to be uploaded at one time. - The constraint on that is partly the upload speed available (a factor which has been limiting resolution of Glencoe's webcams).

We will be re-arranging the hosting of the site to split image processing and archiving, after we've finished selling Warren Miller Tickets through WH. This will substantially remove host constraints on image uploads which are currently 6mb per file.

PM sent Alan

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.07hrs on Tue 12 Jan 16
WindyMiller Wrote:

This year I am going to be posting most of my picture on my face book page. It is so much quicker to post there as they get resized automatically. It saves me over an hour on each post.So if you are interested head over to windymiller, it is open access so no need sign up, like or anything like that.

If you are not averse to the command line then ImageMagick will do it all for you in a single command. For example resize to 50% all the JPEG's in a directory

morgify -resize 50% *.jpg

See www.imagemagick.org

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.53hrs on Tue 12 Jan 16
Well as forecast the snow arrived and boy did it arrive!The road opened about 10:45 and when we got into the car park you could see the trouble the boys had had trying to get it clear.Huge mounds of snow had been pushed to the sides to get us in.

With the heavy snow falling continuously all day the visibility was exceptionally poor and freezing mist turned us into icicles and our goggles into ice cubes making the already poor visibility even worse.

On the upside the run conditions have improved significantly, the thin area in the last few day have gone and the snow was very nice to ski on. This is the sort of accumulation we expect to see in January after the slow start.

We finished about 15:00 and skied back to the car park. The lower runs have filled in significantly too and now I would recommend the ski back. I would think they would be able to get the lower lifts opened soon. Interesting though the temperature was +1 at the car park. This is expected to drop down tonight.

Will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

The top station is over there somewhere

The best vis of the day, fences are starting to go under

At what age did you little ones start to ski? He tried to explain to me how much he was enjoying it but I don't speak 2 year old. he was loving it!

The lower slopes have had significant accumulations

The remodelled cas load area, still not sure how it is going to work.

jabuzzard Wrote:

If you are not averse to the command line then ImageMagick will do it all for you in a single command. For example resize to 50% all the JPEG's in a directory

morgify -resize 50% *.jpg

See www.imagemagick.org

Thanks for that. I actually have this installed but I had trouble tying to get it to recognize the NTFS second hard drive I use for pictures. It only seems to pick up the linux root drive. I need to spend a bit longer on this.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.05hrs Tue 12 Jan 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Top Station.JPG (189kB)   Best Vis today.JPG (188kB)   Young Snow Boarding.JPG (208kB)   Cas Load.JPG (222kB)   Lower Slopes.JPG (217kB)  
ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 10.27hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
I went up yesterday for my first slide of the season....

But I think I'll save my rant for the other thread.

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.23hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
ColinTheCop Wrote:
I went up yesterday for my first slide of the season....

But I think I'll save my rant for the other thread.

but Colin was your very expensive snow in good condition??

I share your sentiment, and made same decision 2 years ago

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.38hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16

Great snow making weather today and should be a fantastic snow making window over the next few days.

Top to Daylodge now officially open, with the Home Road pisted which means the full length of the White Lady can be had off the Funicular (when it's co-operating, hopefully one of the bottom tows will open soon as there was a 90 minute delay with the funicular this morning).

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.39hrs Wed 13 Jan 16 by alan.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
After yesterdays horrible day today was one of those rare times on CG with no wind sunshine fresh snow everywhere. It was a day for off piste skiing.

The runs have filled in nicely even the cas is filling in but still a bit thing in places. The gun barrel is gun barrel shaped. Easy skiing top to bottom with good cover to the car park.
Jeans bowl has finally filled and was a pleasure today after the nightmare the Monday.

We spent a lot of time on the east ptarmigan even venturing way out east to the top of Coire Laogh Mor and still managing to get back to the Ciste T-bar.

Best run of the day, Sharp skiers left of the Ptarmigan unload to traverse CG summit, high on to the Coronation Wall (superb condition), down the wall to the cas unload then sharp left over the Fiacaill traverse to the Fiacaill ridge, down the old t-bar run towards jeans bowl but then use the right of the Fiacaill poma down the the car park. All unpisted in deep fresh snow. The best it gets!

Graeme

Top station from east ptarmigan

Top bowl full of snow

near the summit looking towards east

East Ptarmigan, ideal for people wanting to try off piste for the first time

more pictures on my face book page
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.34hrs Wed 13 Jan 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Off Piste.JPG (247kB)   Sumit.JPG (195kB)   East Ptarmigan.JPG (240kB)   Top Bowl.JPG (219kB)   Top station.JPG (220kB)  
ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16

Snow sounds superb there but what about the situation?

Heard they didnt get started till very late morning today or yesterday and still
charged full fee! Crazy way to treat customers!!

Whats the Queues like, theres very little uplift I think?

Would love to go up but not if I have to spend half the day queueing, and paying for that privilege.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 20.53hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
ipod7584 Wrote:

Snow sounds superb there but what about the situation?

Heard they didnt get started till very late morning today or yesterday and still
charged full fee! Crazy way to treat customers!!

Whats the Queues like, theres very little uplift I think?

Would love to go up but not if I have to spend half the day queueing, and paying for that privilege.

This morning there was a delay on the train after the first one went up but it was quickly rectified and then they ran with out waits to clear the backlog, aprox three train loads.

There was a queue at the ciste, aprox 7 minutes at most when the ski classes started then it quickly subsided to a handful of people once everyone spread out, Even ski on with out wait on a few occasions.

Both the top two car parks were full which is unusual for mid week but with the massive expanse skiable you did not feel crowded and you could easily get a run to your self. Even the ptarmigan restaurant was ok at lunch time, a bit busier than I would expect mid week but I got a seat at 13:00 no problem. They could have opened all the lifts and it would have made no difference to the wait times they were so short. If you wanted to ski top to bottom you used the train. If you were in classes you used the ciste/ ptarmigan / polar express. The M1 was coping with the cas, 105, WL traffic very well. The cas tow track could do with a little bit more snow but may be opened at a push. The car park / fiacaill and day lodge are having their bars put on, may be for the week end.

I would imagine it will be pandemonium at the week end even if all the lifts are open.

In my opinion today would have been worth every penny of a full price ticket, you could ski till you dropped, now yesterday.... that's a different matter and for discussion in the other non conditions thread.

Graeme

mannys1210

Last Visited: 14:50
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.57hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
I was there today. The m1 had 3 queues all day although it was going in reasonably quickly. Probably getting around 4 runs per hour. Snow was brilliant. Weather was brilliant. £24.50 for a half day ticket. Not my ski area of choice as I can't stand the funicular and lack of other uplift but had a good day today.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 19.11hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
A murky cold start to the day then the sun came out about lunch time with a little bit of wind chill.

The snow pack has changed now as it is getting skied on more. It is firming up, not ice but getting slicker in places, I slipped a couple of times on the way down the lady.
The off piste is no longer powder, a bit lumpy where it has been chopped up by traffic, still fun if a wee bit harder going.

The boys have been working very hard getting things ready for the weekend. The lower slopes and tow tracks have been pisted including the Fiacaill ridge poma. The M2 and day lodge runs were very nice, even the glades to the side of the day lodge were very skiable. The new M2 fencing is twice as wide as before, pity they did not have time to continue it all the way down, may be next year? The new style fencing really makes a big difference.

When I was heading home down the M2 I saw the machine over at the WWP and it had already pisted over yonder.

The cas tow track look ready now and the bars were being fitted today. I don't want to jinx it but it looks like they could have everything open for the weekend, I think they will need it!!

Graeme

Update 19:13 snowing big flakes in the village now.

White Lady, getting a bit slicker

I liked this picture, tunnel mouth

East lady, a bit chopped and lumpy with traffic, still fun but harder to ski

I saw the new trainer tow run for the first time

The new M2 full width and well pisted down to the day lodge

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.18hrs Thu 14 Jan 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: East Lady.JPG (200kB)   New Tow.JPG (238kB)   M2.JPG (205kB)   Sunshine.JPG (236kB)   WL.JPG (255kB)  
Current Page:4 of 16
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: