You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:10 of 16
Paul-M

Last Visited: 18:27
6th Aug 2016
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2016
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Mon 7 Mar 16
Sorry ignore this post, going to try again with better sized images!

Edited 10 times. Last edit at 18.11hrs Mon 7 Mar 16 by Paul-M.

Paul-M

6th Aug 2016
Date Posted: 18.12hrs on Mon 7 Mar 16
Spectacular up at Cairngorm today!

The sun was out, light winds and the snow was pretty much perfect on the pistes (a bit hard and icy on Ryvoan in places, but that's splitting hairs). There was powder to be had between the pistes, especially on the East Wall of Lady. Jeans Bowl (thanks to those who told me how to find it a couple of weeks back) was nice but quite tracked out.

Couldn't stay up as long as I'd have liked, and didn't take what looked like some fun runs down into the Ciste car park which probably would have been great, but even having spent a couple of seasons in the Alps, I can honestly say I've not enjoyed better snow conditions than this very often.

Didn't take many photos, but hopefully these give the jist of how good it was.

Slightly iffy panoramic stitch, but M2 looking across to the Cas side

Looking back up the M2 toward the Ptarmigan buiding.

And across the Ciste bowl toward the West Wall

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.14hrs Mon 7 Mar 16 by Paul-M.

Attachments: cairngormpano0703-2.jpg (43kB)   m2-ptarmigan-2.jpg (67kB)   ptarmigan-westwall-2.jpg (115kB)  
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 19.46hrs on Mon 7 Mar 16
Paul we missed you today if you want to be shown some of the lesser known areas of CG give us a shout. If mid week ask Bruce, the lifty on the Fiacaill Ridge Poma if I am on site, He is a good source of information to who is about and where they are heading. He has been a lifty for many years and knows most of the regulars.

Just some pictures to add to Paul-M's report.

As Paul said this was one of the best days the mountain has seen for some time, cold, no wind and the snow sparkling in the sunlight. You could grab a handful and blow it out of your hand. The closest I have seen on CG to champagne powder.

Every thing open, all lifts and most off piste area excellent. Only exception is the upper part of the west wall which has been closed for avalanche danger but quite skiable from its mid section.

To-day was a first, the shuttle bus was on, not to ferry people from the over flow car park but to be used primarily as a ski shuttle for those skiing the ciste gully, Rita's Ridge and yes Loagh Mor.

To-day we spent 90% of or time off piste lapping Loagh Mor. This was spectacular, hectares of untracked powder. It can be made as easy or as difficult as you want, from reasonable intermediate to advanced powder steeps. If you have never been in this area please find some one that knows where they are going. Don’t follow tracks into the unknown, you could quickly get your self in trouble but it is very worth while finding out the way back to the bus. It is a massive expanse of off piste skiing that is lift served.

I will be putting up some picture on face book tomorrow for the folks that were with us today.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

Hiho hiho its off to ski we go! A Cold sunny day with no wind to speak of.

The top bowls from the east ptarmigan ridge

Heading out from the main ski area at the top of the ptarmigan tow to find the untracked snow and Coire Loagh mor. Make sure you know where you are going or have some one that does before doing this.

The west wall from a rare angle, the far side of the ciste gully above gully No1

The place to be, Coire Loagh Mor. Superb ski in, great when in there and a superb ski out down to the bus in the Ciste car park.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.56hrs Mon 7 Mar 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Loagh Mor.JPG (268kB)   Heading Out.JPG (233kB)   west wall.JPG (245kB)   Top Bowl.JPG (258kB)   Bridge.JPG (309kB)  
Paul-M

6th Aug 2016
Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Mon 7 Mar 16
WindyMiller Wrote:
Paul we missed you today if you want to be shown some of the lesser known areas of CG give us a shout. If mid week ask Bruce, the lifty on the Fiacaill Ridge Poma if I am on site, He is a good source of information to who is about and where they are heading. He has been a lifty for many years and knows most of the regulars.

Thanks Graeme, not sure I'm going to be able to make it up again until next week, but will try to hunt you down next time!

ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 18.43hrs on Tue 8 Mar 16
WindyMiller Wrote:

Just some pictures to add to Paul-M's report.

As Paul said this was one of the best days the mountain has seen for some time, cold, no wind and the snow sparkling in the sunlight. You could grab a handful and blow it out of your hand. The closest I have seen on CG to champagne powder.

Every thing open, all lifts and most off piste area excellent. Only exception is the upper part of the west wall which has been closed for avalanche danger but quite skiable from its mid section.

To-day was a first, the shuttle bus was on, not to ferry people from the over flow car park but to be used primarily as a ski shuttle for those skiing the ciste gully, Rita's Ridge and yes Loagh Mor.

To-day we spent 90% of or time off piste lapping Loagh Mor. This was spectacular, hectares of untracked powder. It can be made as easy or as difficult as you want, from reasonable intermediate to advanced powder steeps. If you have never been in this area please find some one that knows where they are going. Don’t follow tracks into the unknown, you could quickly get your self in trouble but it is very worth while finding out the way back to the bus. It is a massive expanse of off piste skiing that is lift served.

I will be putting up some picture on face book tomorrow for the folks that were with us today.

Graeme

Hiho hiho its off to ski we go! A Cold sunny day with no wind to speak of.

The top bowls from the east ptarmigan ridge

Heading out from the main ski area at the top of the ptarmigan tow to find the untracked snow and Coire Loagh mor. Make sure you know where you are going or have some one that does before doing this.

The west wall from a rare angle, the far side of the ciste gully above gully No1

The place to be, Coire Loagh Mor. Superb ski in, great when in there and a superb ski out down to the bus in the Ciste car park.

Hi Windy Miller, I might be heading up to Cairngorm for first time Thursday, I dont know the off piste areas well at all, but the route you take from top down Loagh Mor to Ciste carpark do you think this can be done on snowboard all the way with no walking involved? Sounds an interesting alternative to the piste areas.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.56hrs Mon 7 Mar 16 by WindyMiller.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Tue 8 Mar 16
ipod7584 Wrote:

Hi Windy Miller, I might be heading up to Cairngorm for first time Thursday, I dont know the off piste areas well at all, but the route you take from top down Loagh Mor to Ciste carpark do you think this can be done on snowboard all the way with no walking involved? Sounds an interesting alternative to the piste areas.

It should be no problem if the cover has held up in the high winds. I was not up today so do not know how it is holding up.

If you do not know the area I would talk to someone before you go to explain the best way down. On a board may I suggest taking the shorter way using the fence line marked on the piste map that takes you above gully no1 +2 on the east of the ciste gully, less chance of getting lost. There is no poling involved for skiers on the lower section.
Taking the ptarmigan route would involve a short walk to start with but the extended run down is fantastic when the snow is right.

Make sure the shuttle bus is running before you set off or you will be hitching a ride to get back!

I may be up on Thursday, not sure yet, I will see how tomorrow goes. Look out for us and come to have a natter.

Graeme

ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.04hrs on Wed 9 Mar 16
WindyMiller Wrote:
ipod7584 Wrote:

It should be no problem if the cover has held up in the high winds. I was not up today so do not know how it is holding up.

If you do not know the area I would talk to someone before you go to explain the best way down. On a board may I suggest taking the shorter way using the fence line marked on the piste map that takes you above gully no1 +2 on the east of the ciste gully, less chance of getting lost. There is no poling involved for skiers on the lower section.
Taking the ptarmigan route would involve a short walk to start with but the extended run down is fantastic when the snow is right.

Make sure the shuttle bus is running before you set off or you will be hitching a ride to get back!

I may be up on Thursday, not sure yet, I will see how tomorrow goes. Look out for us and come to have a natter.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, sounds good, however Im going to have to try and do this later in the season, was planning on leaving for Aviemore early morning but now I have something to do first thing, will alternatively go for Glenshee late morning as not so far from my home.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 20.58hrs on Wed 9 Mar 16
ipod7584 Wrote:
WindyMiller Wrote:
ipod7584 Wrote:

Thanks Graeme, sounds good, however Im going to have to try and do this later in the season, was planning on leaving for Aviemore early morning but now I have something to do first thing, will alternatively go for Glenshee late morning as not so far from my home.

No problem, pity as tomorrow looks like it is going to be a good one and the shuttle bus is planned to run.

To-day was an unusual one, well what others are there on Cairngorm! It snowed heavily most of the day reducing visibility to the end of your skis much of the time. Unfortunately the temperature was surprisingly high and the snow falling was rather wet making the off piste a bit heavy under foot. Not to say the conditions were bad, far from it they were very good but just not the same champagne powder we have had in the last couple of days.

The snow on piste is compacting down and fairly shiny in places lower down but very nice higher up.

At about 15:00 the cloud broke and the sun came out showing the mountain in its glory. For those of us left on the hill it was a fresh track paradise!

The M1 poma was off first thing for a replacement motor. This was fitted very quickly and was open to the public at lunch time, hopefully the troubles are now behind us.

Had a go on the coronation wall, still a bit thin in places with sharks teeth lurking.East Ptarmigan very nice. Ridge run a bit heavy as was the Aonach Bowl but lots of fresh tracks to be had.

Graeme

Heavy snow falling most of the day down to car park level

Take heed of the warnings, the last couple of days has seen varying temperatures and snow types with significant accumulations of heavy wet snow falling today. Avalanche is a risk, No1+No2 gully, ciste gully and West wall are closed.

M1 repair complete and running at lunch time.

The sun came out at the end of play.

We had to have a go on the coronation wall. Fun but rocks are lurking.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.10hrs Wed 9 Mar 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Base Station Snow.JPG (199kB)   Warning.JPG (277kB)   M1 Pama Repaired.JPG (190kB)   WL.JPG (259kB)   Coronation Wall.JPG (205kB)  
freeskiing

Last Visited: 20:49
21st Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Wed 9 Mar 16
Just a swift one but does anyone know what time a half day pass starts from?

Looked really nice from the office window today, great seeing the pics.

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 21.49hrs on Wed 9 Mar 16
freeskiing Wrote:
Just a swift one but does anyone know what time a half day pass starts from?

Looked really nice from the office window today, great seeing the pics.

12:25ish lunch time £24.50 cost, worth it as sometimes you get the quieter piste late on & your legs can usually take a full afternoon bashing. All day? I'm done by 3pm so miss the best late part as the lifts usually run until 4:15 to 4:30pm.

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 20.04hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
An other superb day on the blue mountain-mountain. Sunshine and little wind until the very end of the day and it picked up slightly on the Fiacaill ridge. You could see the weather changing on the horizon when the lifts were closing.

With the heavy falls yesterday the snow is now expansive but as expected a bit slabby on the off piste but excellent were pisted. Don't let the slab put you off though it was easy to break through to the soft underneath. A little more tiring but still fun.
The west wall opened for the first time today giving folks a chance to get some on piste steeps, it was being put to good use.
The shuttle bus was running again so to show our appreciation we had to lap loagh Mor an number of times. I am sure the bus was being used more than the day lodge poma!

Another first this season, 4 coires in one day, Sneachda,cas,ciste and Loagh mor (sorry Susan it just had to be done and you were not here to join in) A few sharks teeth but worth it for the views.

The freestyle park is being constructed for the competition this week end. Don't particularly like the comps but the jumps are great to extend the snow mounds into the summer season!

The weather is set to change over the next few days, mild with rain. I think to-day was the best for the foreseeable future.

More pictures on face book especially of the off piste.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

Ski anywhere you like

The summer ski area (sorry-park-) is under construction

The west wall has opened for the fist time this season. We have been asked to enter through the marked gates.

Someone was on the cairngorm facebook page complaining there were no signs pointing the way down the off piste areas to the shuttle bus. Would you like to see poles, signs,ropes, snow plowers heading into the back country? There are so few pristine lift served expert areas for us to use. The unmarked hazards are all part of the back country experience. Take responsibility for your own safety, get a map and learn how to use it or find some one that knows the area to show you. There are plenty of folks that would be more than happy to take you down, just ask.

Another of the hidden gems on cairngorm, Sneachda. If you know the way it brings you back at the foot of the ridge poma.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 20.23hrs Thu 10 Mar 16 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Sneachda.JPG (236kB)   West Wall.JPG (288kB)   loagh Mor.JPG (240kB)   Freestyle Construction.JPG (260kB)   east lady.JPG (284kB)  
steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
Great pics Windy. Some people don't know how to follow their own nose but with lots of warning signs they probably feel nervous.

shona

Last Visited: 20:25
26th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 21.25hrs on Sun 13 Mar 16
What a difference 2 days make!! Unfortunately snow cover disappearing fast! However another great day on Cairngorm with blue skies, little wind, and rarely a queue. Spring snow in good condition between the fences, but off-piste much more limited, but still good on the Fiaciall late morning when it softened a little. Still possible to ski to carpark at lunchtime, but was quite soggy!

tele-ecosse

Last Visited: 22:52
1st Jun 2016
Date Posted: 17.39hrs on Tue 15 Mar 16
Nice photographs
Been a couple if not more seasons since skied Laogh Mor or even the Ciste & gully.
I am afraid as an ex season pass holder(1981-2013) I have found far nicer places to spend my hard earned dosh.

Some great days in the past - used to park at the Ciste & ski there most of the morning & move on to White Lady etc in the afternoon & just set up nicely for a great run back to the Ciste car park.
Always had a good chat with Ally the tow meister for the top chair

RIP the chairs & boardwalk

Cold Smoke Convert

h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.48hrs on Thu 17 Mar 16
Fabulous conditions today. Spent the morning touring the Northern Corries and the afternoon enjoying the wonderful spring snow on piste.
A few rocks to dodge on the M1 and M1 sidetrack but the Lady and Cas have great cover. Ryvoan I only skied the once as it was firmer and not quite such fun. Top bowls looked good and the park is impressive.

Finished off skiing down by the Fiacaill traverse and through the marked run in Jean's Bowl to join the car part tow track right to the bottom.

Skiing straight onto the M1 poma all afternoon and not a cloud in the sky. Would definitely recommend a visit as the forecast looks similar for the next few days smiling smiley

Helen

Current Page:10 of 16
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: