You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:2 of 16
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2016
Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Sat 14 Nov 15
Good to meet up Snow- bunny and I only headed on because you told me to and I suspected that you weren't planning visiting the snow patch in Ciste Mhearad smiling smiley Good that we met up after to enjoy the great snow on the Cas smiling smiley
[www.facebook.com]

Helen

alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Fri 20 Nov 15
Aviemore is getting a pasting right now:

Live Cam: [www.winterhighland.info] .

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.57hrs Fri 20 Nov 15 by alan.

Attachments: aviemore@2x.jpg (147kB)  
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.42hrs on Sun 22 Nov 15
Things change so fast at this time of year so please don't take this report as a general view of the conditions, it is just to whet your appetite for what we hope is to come.

The sun was shinning when we got up this morning so decided to go and see how the runs were filling in. By the time we got to the car park the cloud base had dropped to pea soup level. We headed up the Cas path onto the zigzags and over to the 105 and traverse. It was hard going with the drifts getting progressively bigger the higher we got. The traverse was just having a laugh but we managed to hit the Ptarmigan Restaurant in time for some lunch, surprisingly busy, it was sharing tables. The skies cleared during lunch giving a beautiful afternoon, still and cold. The snow was light and fluffy, the ptarmigan bowl would be great for family skiing if you could get the kids there.

The ski down was fun via the traverse, 105 and cas. The zigzags had good cover but after that it was combat skiing back to the car park. Burnside was surprisingly good. I notice a number of people skiing the home road to get back to the day lodge.

M1 Top Station

Looking down the M1

Top of the traverse

More pictures here

[www.winterhighland.info]

Graeme

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.50hrs Sun 22 Nov 15 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: M1 top Station.JPG (67kB)   M1 Run.JPG (74kB)   Traverse Top.JPG (92kB)  
Mountainaddict

Last Visited: 19:38
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 07.18hrs on Mon 23 Nov 15
Good work folks!

Looks like there's enough to open? Or is the cover just, er cosmetic??

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 08.04hrs on Mon 23 Nov 15
Mountainaddict Wrote:

Looks like there's enough to open? Or is the cover just, er cosmetic??

The snow is fairly deep at the top but it is still quite thin in places and you have to be light on your feet, a solid base still has to form. If they opened for general public the cover would quickly be scraped back to the rocks. I think it will take a few more dumps to open to mid station, less for the Ptarmigan bowl.

Graeme

alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.30hrs on Mon 23 Nov 15
There's been some connection issues with Three in the Central Highlands today (this was also the case at Glencoe), this seems to have been resolved and AWS data is coming through again from the CairnGorm SSC Hut, so hopefully webcam images will be OK in the morning.

SWIMMER

Last Visited: 13:54
15th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 13.22hrs on Thu 3 Dec 15
Hi - Great to be almost back skiing and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Got info in with ski pass and noticed on the map that Gully No 1 is now a Red Run? Wasn't it Black before?

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Thu 3 Dec 15
Swimmer wrote
"Hi - Great to be almost back skiing and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Got info in with ski pass and noticed on the map that Gully No 1 is now a Red Run? Wasn't it Black before?"

Where have you been hiding over the summer? Thought you may have been up two weekends ago in the fresh snow.

The majority of piste maps over the years have shown it as red but I have found one that did show it as black. I think this was the last map to show cairngorm in its full glory before the cuts were made. Train, Ciste including the link,Aonach, Fiacaill T-bar and White Lady T-bar.

Graeme

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 17.26hrs Thu 3 Dec 15 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: cairngorm-ski-resort-map.jpg (204kB)  
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 18.32hrs on Thu 3 Dec 15
I guess these were black as they were unpisted?

Certainly since the winch cat has came in I'm sure they've started pisting this. Making it more regular and well... easier.

SWIMMER

Last Visited: 13:54
15th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Fri 4 Dec 15
Hi Graeme, thanks for that. Didn't realise it was sometimes red, I've only seen it as black on maps.

I've been hiding on the rivers (sometimes in them too!). I was up that weekend for a look on the Saturday, even had my skis just in case! But there wasn't enough snow to skin up (did see people walk down though). So collected passes and had lunch, then saw your report from the Sunday - I should have gone then. Hope to be up soon though. I'll be on or in the river this weekend.

alan

10th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.28hrs on Fri 4 Dec 15
Highest gust so far this evening 130mph at the Summit.

We have a 3G connection issue with the SSC webcams, we have a new higher powered router to replace the temporary one (the original new unit failed while testing it out at base and it took several weeks to get a replacement through warranty).

We expect this to provide a much more reliable connection as with it's higher output and better antennas will have several potential cells to which it can connect. If the wind eases from the completely stupid level, will swap this out over the weekend.

Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 15.29hrs on Tue 29 Dec 15
Had a wee wander up on foot no skis this time. CGM were running standing classes in the ptarmigan bowl today. Lots of instructors hanging about in the ptarmigan. Might have been amusing if the public were trying to get out of the closed system.

Anyway, could have still slide to bottom of the top zig.
Does anybody know about what is wrong with the Cas Tow? And why are they excavating the banks on the lower zig zag beside the hut just above the off ramp for carpark t bar.

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 18.36hrs on Tue 29 Dec 15
I believe the loading gantry has failed a structural inspection.

If I'm wrong, somebody can correct me. But I believe a "modified" loading approach is required. Watch that space.

tupp

Date Posted: 19.47hrs on Tue 29 Dec 15
HTH Wrote:
I believe the loading gantry has failed a structural inspection.

If I'm wrong, somebody can correct me. But I believe a "modified" loading approach is required. Watch that space.

Wow, great stuff from the team to catch this just days before the season begins.

Wow.

6 months to check a handful of assets.

I tip my hat to them.

snowpatch94

Last Visited: 20:30
7th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.25hrs on Fri 1 Jan 16
I took a wander up to see what the snow situation was like on Cairngorm and to see if there was any glimmer of hope of any lifts opening in the next day or so.

A word of warning...dont read this post if you are a keen/optimistic sort of person who believes that a potential opening is just round the corner at Cairngorm.

Although the forecast is promising for the next day or so with snow forecast,especially higher up, winds are likely to be very high.

Upper Cas....the picture says it all....

A bare looking Ptarmigan with large areas of water ice which the drifting snow was not sticking to very well.

The annoying flat bit on the Traverse

On a more optimistic note ....further up the Traverse..it does become skiable

And this extends upwards right up to the Top Station

The Traverse looking down

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.11hrs Fri 1 Jan 16 by snowpatch94.

Current Page:2 of 16
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: