You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
tim1mw

Winterhighland Android App 2015/2016
Date Posted: 17.00hrs on Mon 19 Oct 15
Version 1.09 of the Android App has just been uploaded to the Google Play store and should become available as an upgrade to anybody who already purchased the app in the next few hours. This version is primarily a bug fix release, however, the following has been added during the summer:

- Lowther Hills snow reports were switched on a few days ago.
- Winterhighland twitter feed added to the "All Resorts" page.
- Glencoe now has 8 lifts.

There is a fairly significant improvement to the webcam image download on it's way, the app can now (optionally) download small/low resolution versions of the webcam images instead of the slow high quality versions, which should radically speed up the webcams page on slow connections. The image quality is still good enough to judge snow cover and visibility. However, this needs more testing, so I'm holding it back for now.

Please note, version 1.08 is the minimum version of the App which will now work with the backend data server, so it you haven't upgraded for a while you will probably get a warning the next time you start the app.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Winterhighland Android App 2015/2016
Date Posted: 11.05hrs on Wed 21 Oct 15
mine auto updated...so great

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
bluebird

Date Posted: 19.27hrs on Tue 27 Oct 15
Updated, and ready for new season. Thanks for the great app.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.48hrs on Wed 28 Oct 15
any plans to update the WH iPhone app? Will it still work this coming season? (I'm sure I seen a post a while back saying it was no longer working but I could be wrong)

tim1mw

Date Posted: 10.10hrs on Fri 30 Oct 15
sspeirs Wrote:
any plans to update the WH iPhone app? Will it still work this coming season? (I'm sure I seen a post a while back saying it was no longer working but I could be wrong)

I don't have any info on the iPhone app, the only thing I can tell you for certain is that I'm not writing one myself.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 09.53hrs on Fri 27 Nov 15
The format of the VisitScotland RSS feed, which supplies the Cairngorm snow report has been radically changed for the second time in 3 months (I had to do a complete re-write back in October). I now have to do another re-write, so the Cairngorm feed is currently broken in the Android App. Cairngorm Twitter is still working though.

I'll try to get this fixed this evening, I'm heading out to an expo today.

The feeds for the other resorts come from an alternative much more reliable source and continue to work correctly.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 17.38hrs Fri 27 Nov 15 by tim1mw.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 17.43hrs on Fri 27 Nov 15
I think the Cairngorm report feed is now fixed, but I'll try to keep a closer than normal eye on it. I'm conscious of the fact that it might soon be reporting something that people will want to know about.
growwild

Date Posted: 17.55hrs on Sat 28 Nov 15
tim1mw Wrote:
I'm conscious of the fact that it might soon be reporting something that people will want to know about.

I'm intrigued.

They are having dugs trained tae sniff out the poor trying tae gain access?

Goldman sachs are tae sponsor the snow park?

Ops808 will be giving out free swedgers at the groove?
xrtim

Last Visited: 09:21
26th Mar 2017
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Sun 29 Nov 15
Well done on the app, getting all the webcams in the one place , i will work on my contacts at Glenshee to get it on line for us ski tourer types ?
tim1mw

Date Posted: 11.24hrs on Mon 30 Nov 15
growwild Wrote:
I'm intrigued.

They are having dugs trained tae sniff out the poor trying tae gain access?

Goldman sachs are tae sponsor the snow park?

Ops808 will be giving out free swedgers at the groove?

I'm waiting for the free beer offer.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 11.28hrs on Mon 30 Nov 15
xrtim Wrote:
Well done on the app, getting all the webcams in the one place , i will work on my contacts at Glenshee to get it on line for us ski tourer types ?

Thanks. I'm happy to add other relevant webcams if you know of any. It only takes a minute or two for each one. The main criteria is that it has to be relevant to the resort and if it's not showing the resort itself, then it mustn't be a duplicate of something that's already covered. eg, I would rather not have 2 cams covering roughly the same stretch of road. It also needs to be close ish to the area, ie covering a road which people staying locally would use. I'm not going to put up a traffic cam of the Erskine bridge on the Glencoe page.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.03hrs Mon 30 Nov 15 by tim1mw.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 23.29hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
For some reason all Twitter messages from Dec 2015 are currently being dated Dec 2016 by the Titter API. Jan 2016 messages are unaffected. I'm out of the country at the moment, so I'll look into this properly on Jan 7/8th when I get back.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 23.41hrs on Sun 31 Jan 16
If you are see an error getting resort updates, then an update is on it's way. The Android network stack is doing something weird with the current report data. I think Ski Sunday must have jinxed the app... I suspect the error might fix itself after a few hours, but I'm putting in a fix just in case. Watch this space.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.57hrs on Tue 23 Feb 16
Cairngorm reports are currently being manually updated because Visit Scotland have stopped bothering to update their RSS feeds. I've reported the problem and hopefully it will be fixed soon. If not I'll switch to an alternative data source. Reports for other areas are unaffected.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 22.39hrs on Thu 25 Feb 16
There seems to be a problem with the server (not controlled by either myself or Alan) which provides the snow reports for Glencoe, Glenshee, Nevis Range and The Lecht, it's been failing to respond since late afternoon. Right now, I'm only updating Twitter messages on the App, these come direct from Twitter and are unaffected.

This problem also appears to have affected the VisitScotland snow report pages, the index page ([www.visitscotland.com]) and the direct links to the affected snow sports areas are all currently failing to load. The Winterhighland report pages probably affected as well and seem much slower to load than normal, hopefully Alan can confirm this when he is next online.

Cairngorm reports are still on manual update because of the fault with the VisitScotland RSS feed.

EDIT: Posting this obviously spurred them into action, the server has finally started working again, so normal updates have resumed for all areas except Cairngorm.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 23.16hrs Thu 25 Feb 16 by tim1mw.
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: