You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:6 of 15
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Re: Glencoe Snow 2016
Date Posted: 20.54hrs on Mon 15 Feb 16
Gearbox broken, 16 week wait for a new gearbox so instead we are getting the old one re-built, unfortunately even that is a slow process as cogs need to go through an oil heat treatment to strengthen them. We were promised 3 weeks maximum for re-build and Wednesday is 3 weeks so any day now we will have it back up and running.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.23hrs on Mon 15 Feb 16
Couple of videos from this season

Opening weekend - 15 & 16 Jan. Got this 90% complete a few weeks back and never got back to it until today: [www.youtube.com]

Thursday 11th February - this one was on the Glencoe Facebook page last week: [www.youtube.com]

paraffin

Date Posted: 14.00hrs on Tue 16 Feb 16
Hi,
the last week or so at Glencoe has provided some great snow sports for all abilities.
Despite high winds at times - Glencoe has been sheltered from the worst of the winds and as a result has some deep drifted snow just where it is needed - Steep and deep out by the Flypaper to mellow meadow skipping East of the Plateau Poma. It is possible to descend to within 10 minutes walk of the car park if you follow the red bike track down.
Again Glencoe is proving to be the resort of choice with well organised lift queues, happy friendly staff and of course those lovely macaroni pies served up in the Plateau Chateau.

See Public report
[www.winterhighland.info]

IanF

Last Visited: 07:23
19th Apr 2018
Date Posted: 16.30hrs on Tue 16 Feb 16
@paraffin,

I agree the snow has been excellent with all the upper runs in good condition. Queues have been not too bad + runnimg the Rannoch button makes a huge difference to upper mountain wait times. Cliffy being out does put a lot of pressure on the wall t-bar, and the plateau poma continues to be a huge bottleneck at start of day (the new chair should make a vast improvement). The new poma has helped too.

Biggest queues yesterday were for the plateau château. Some better organisation would help here. The current availability of pies had to be explained to every customer - an updated blackboard would help! And it is still hopelessly too small for busy days (particularly ones where shelter is required).

Glencoe's main weakness in my view is that for kids, the long slow chair ascent has them cold before they have rally started, especially with the current plateau poma bottleneck.

Apolpgies, as this post has strayed onto non-snow matters.

muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 08.57hrs on Wed 17 Feb 16
IanF Wrote:
@paraffin,

Glencoe's main weakness in my view is that for kids, the long slow chair ascent has them cold before they have rally started, especially with the current plateau poma bottleneck.

I would have thought that if anyone's feeling cold on a 10 minute fairly sheltered chairlift then they're not properly dressed for the hill.

muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 10.35hrs on Wed 17 Feb 16
As an aside, it's great to hear reports of "fresh snow across the mountain" after a winter storm instead of "we've lost a lot of snow due to the warm conditions".

And with 56 out of 65 lifts operating across Scotland today, and more snow due this weekend, things are looking good for a decent season after all. Phew!

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.59hrs on Wed 17 Feb 16
Was up with my daughter today on the plateau and that is some of the driest snow I've experienced on the mountain for a wee while. I like the look of the 5 day forecast too! Things are definitely on the up.

Suilven

Last Visited: 17:50
10th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 14.56hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
IanF Wrote:

Biggest queues yesterday were for the plateau château. Some better organisation would help here. The current availability of pies had to be explained to every customer - an updated blackboard would help! And it is still hopelessly too small for busy days (particularly ones where shelter is required).

What is the deal with the Eagle's Nest? I've never seen it open. Is it defunct?

paraffin

Date Posted: 19.32hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
Suilven Wrote:

What is the deal with the Eagle's Nest? I've never seen it open. Is it defunct?

Scheduled to become a ski themed Wetherspoons? ;-)

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 21.12hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
IanF Wrote:
@paraffin,

I agree with this. It's a real weakness of Glencoe and those primary school seats are a bit of a joke. For some reason the team don't seem to think beyond the immediate person in front of them. A lot of work could be saved by thinking ahead.

igloo4you

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.34hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
DonaldM

We do have plans for the plateau cafe but as a ski centre we are looking to get the ski offering sorted first with new and upgraded uplift and groomers. That seems to be what our customers want from all the discussions I have had. Would be great if we could do both but unfortunately short build windows and finance don't allow.

Andy28

Last Visited: 22:01
9th Mar 2021
What's this?
Date Posted: 21.53hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
igloo4you Wrote:
DonaldM

We do have plans for the plateau cafe but as a ski centre we are looking to get the ski offering sorted first with new and upgraded uplift and groomers. That seems to be what our customers want from all the discussions I have had. Would be great if we could do both but unfortunately short build windows and finance don't allow.

The only thing that bothers me about Glencoe is that you cant buy anything before 9.

I like to get up early, get ready and would love to bu a ticket around 830 then go for a bacon roll before we get started, most of the time though i have to wait in line till 9 then buy something on the hill unless i stop before hand

igloo4you

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
At weekends ticket office open 8.30am and Base cafe has been opening at around 7am. Midweek we take things a bit more relaxed and open at 9am.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
With local schools back after their long weekend, though still a decent turnout the upper mountain was pretty quiet today. This was the Main Basin T-bar queue about noon!

^Some brighter spells and heavy snow showers. All Plateau area runs in good shape now.

^Freshies to around 1500ft on the Blue Access run. Red Access (fence line) was being skied to base, but worth the 5-10minute downwards hoof on the bike track for fantastic snow on the Blue Access.

Full Report & Pix: [www.winterhighland.info]

mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 23.50hrs on Thu 18 Feb 16
Any updates on the Cliffy? As a boarder, the 2 T-bars to the top is a killer and the Cliffy is a perfect time for a wee rest going uphill. Was up yesterday, had a great day. Love the new "cash-only" window for those of us who bother to engage our brains in the morning and realise that we're going to the base of a mountain in the Highlands.

Current Page:6 of 15
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: