You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:10 of 15
mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Re: Glencoe Snow 2016
Date Posted: 15.22hrs on Wed 24 Feb 16
If it's cost them £20k, then they should be asking for some of that money back. igloo4u said last week they were told 3 weeks max, which would have been last Wednesday, we're now 1 week (33%) past that and no Cliffy

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Wed 24 Feb 16
mlsgraham,

Sure you appreciate things don't always go to plan. The return of the gearbox is now imminent and we will get it up and running immediately.

mlsgraham

24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 16.59hrs on Wed 24 Feb 16
igloo4u, I absolutely understand. Didn't mean it to come across as a criticism of Glencoe, absolutely love the place and hope to get up tomorrow. It just pisses me off when companies take the mickey out of people and then still expect to get paid the full price quoted, leaving you guys out of pocket.

paraffin

Date Posted: 17.04hrs on Wed 24 Feb 16
Andy,

great news about the Cliffhanger chair. I understand some parts needed specially manufactured and treated.
Looking forward to getting up very soon and spending my time and cash at Glencoe.
I have always found the Glencoe staff (even under the most demanding circumstances) to be very friendly and helpful - even when I have been in the wrong, like:

Beating 5 other singles to the front of the queue on the Wall T-bar - a little naughty.
Wandering into the base café before 9:00 a.m. - very naughty.
Skiing down the tow track at the end of the day - extremely naughty.
Leaving the toilet seat up - just unspeakable.

See you all soon
Paraffin

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.48hrs on Wed 24 Feb 16
Clearly you did not actually read my posts. The point was a bare 2G GPRS connection has sufficient bandwidth to enable a system to be developed and deliver a good service to the customers. No need for 4G, no need for 3G and no need even for a 2.5G EDGE for that matter.

Notionally yes, but the Vodafone and O2 GPRS on Rannoch Moor is almost permanently unusable - due to a long section of the A82 with no coverage at all to the South, as soon as devices pick up a signal they are trying to get data through, far far more than there is capacity for.

Three provides a reasonable speed - when working but it's not robust enough, the local mast is particularly prone to outages by weather and is regularly overwhelmed when Glencoe is even moderately busy, leading to no service at all.

A point to point wireless link has nowhere to go in a single hop, it would be a minimum of 3 hops to get it terminated on a decent connection and that would need to start from the Summit and without off-grid hops the options are very few. Meall a' Bhuiridh is surrounded by mountains of similar or greater height, blocking direct RF propagation to locations with a fast internet connection.

There is a meeting of local businesses from outlying areas around Glencoe taking place tomorrow, but again the topography is a major obstacle to a community RF based soltuion.

Mountainaddict

Last Visited: 19:38
6th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 12.25hrs on Thu 25 Feb 16
Queues 30-40 people deep for the Wall T Bar? On a weekday?! Gulp...

Will monitor the position for our 3 day long weekend visit from this Saturday. Really love Glencoe but (generally queue-free) Nevis may be a more attractive proposition. Either that or just keep lapping the Main Basin/Spring Run etc once we are up The Wall.

kevinboyle82

Last Visited: 14:25
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 13.44hrs on Thu 25 Feb 16
alan Wrote:
Clearly you did not actually read my posts. The point was a bare 2G GPRS connection has sufficient bandwidth to enable a system to be developed and deliver a good service to the customers. No need for 4G, no need for 3G and no need even for a 2.5G EDGE for that matter.

Notionally yes, but the Vodafone and O2 GPRS on Rannoch Moor is almost permanently unusable - due to a long section of the A82 with no coverage at all to the South, as soon as devices pick up a signal they are trying to get data through, far far more than there is capacity for.

Three provides a reasonable speed - when working but it's not robust enough, the local mast is particularly prone to outages by weather and is regularly overwhelmed when Glencoe is even moderately busy, leading to no service at all.

A point to point wireless link has nowhere to go in a single hop, it would be a minimum of 3 hops to get it terminated on a decent connection and that would need to start from the Summit and without off-grid hops the options are very few. Meall a' Bhuiridh is surrounded by mountains of similar or greater height, blocking direct RF propagation to locations with a fast internet connection.

There is a meeting of local businesses from outlying areas around Glencoe taking place tomorrow, but again the topography is a major obstacle to a community RF based soltuion.

I love this guys assumption that these options haven't been thought about and you're all sitting with your thumbs up your collective arses.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.25hrs on Thu 25 Feb 16
MountainAddict, The Wall T-bar queues were only bad because the Cliffy was out of action. Gearbox for Cliffy arrived back today and with a bit of luck Cliffy will be running again by the weekend.

mlsgraham

24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 01.15hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
Was up today and while the mountain was busy, the queues weren't bad at all. The new Corie Pollach tow I think is making a big difference in spreading people out and providing a good area for beginners without them "getting in the way" of mroe advanced riders. Great work by the Coe getting it up and running, now add the Cliffy to the offering and they're showing the way for some other resorts to treat the customer correctly and secure happy customers and repeat business.

enduro-aid

Last Visited: 21:50
17th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 10.15hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
one thing I would like to just add to my comment from the other day about the queue for the Wall T-bar was that the management of the queue was fantastic by the Coe Crew. they put out orange netting to get everyone lined up properly and in pairs and no one was allowed up without doubling up

on really bad days I've seen the queue extend half way up the wall itself but on Tuesday the staff really were on top of it...good work.

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 14.21hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
That's great news about the Cliffy. Fingers crossed all the fitting/testing goes well and we are up and running for tomorrow.

jas

Last Visited: 21:23
30th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
Have to agree, my day at the coe on tuesday was great from every point. New lift does seem to be very good and open up more terrain to the less advanced ski/boarder.
keep up the good work

rickmanchester

Last Visited: 09:38
3rd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 19.44hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
Cairngorm or coe tomorrow travelling from Manchester. Which would be best taking into account travel time, snow and potential queues

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
rickmanchester Wrote:
Cairngorm or coe tomorrow travelling from Manchester. Which would be best taking into account travel time, snow and potential queues

Glencoe, no contest. Glenshee would rank above Cairngorm too.

mlsgraham

24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 23.40hrs on Fri 26 Feb 16
I've never been to Cairngorm but even I can tell you it would be Glencoe.

Being a Saturday though, if you don't have your own kit, Glencoe can be a bit of a ballache by the look of the queue at kit hire. Get there early

Current Page:10 of 15
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: