You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:11 of 15
Biff

Re: Glencoe Snow 2016
Date Posted: 00.18hrs on Sat 27 Feb 16
JC Wrote:
rickmanchester Wrote:
Cairngorm or coe tomorrow travelling from Manchester. Which would be best taking into account travel time, snow and potential queues

Glencoe, no contest. Glenshee would rank above Cairngorm too.

The freezer at Braehead would rank above Cairngorm as Cairngorm is just rank

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.58hrs on Sat 27 Feb 16
Wow! Looks like an epic day in prospect...

Don't forget the high factor suncream today!

Maf

Last Visited: 15:44
3rd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.07hrs on Sat 27 Feb 16
Had a great day at Glencoe on Monday. Despite being closed for several days and more snow overnight. Things were all opened up pretty early on. Good snow cover and lots of soft snow, except Etive Glades, which was wind scoured and crunchy 'til the bottom third. The access runs were fantastic until the last few hundred yards. They could have done with the snow that should've been scraped off the car park. I'm not sure what the JCB driver was doing at 7am ish, but it didn't appear to involve removing the snow ? !!! Smoothing out the bottom of the track from the further east run would make a tremendous difference to the skiability of this run. Smoothing out, and removing or covering the rocks. Also if people avoided walking down the last bit and churning up peat stones & snow into a nice black sludge. At least you could walk down the bits with no snow. Maybe that pile of old dry ski slope mat by the carpark could help on the run ? I know these runs aren't always open but I haven't taken the chair down in any of my last 3 or 4 visits. There is a lot of snow in the hollows, especially the far east ones out past the bike track, and it lasts well into spring most years. Oh, and a few big marker poles to help you judge when you need to head back over to the chair would help.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.03hrs on Sat 27 Feb 16
Beautiful view North to the Nevis Range at dusk, another glorious day forecast for Sunday.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.05hrs Sat 27 Feb 16 by alan.

Attachments: image.jpeg (34kB)  
andytb

Last Visited: 10:36
4th May 2018
Date Posted: 19.49hrs on Sun 28 Feb 16
On the topic of a groomed spring run, I copy here my reply to a post on facebook

Quote:
Must say I was a bit unimpressed on the drive up but see the logic having skied it today. It was rock hard but flat, and if it had been rock hard with refrozen cruddy mogels (as uh, happens a lot if it's left alone) *nobody* would have been on it. The way it was prepared meant it was open on a busy weekend when otherwise it would have been shut and will have a better base for spring. On balance a good choice.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.25hrs on Mon 29 Feb 16
Fantastic day on Saturday

Photos - [flic.kr]
Video - [www.youtube.com]

MJB

Last Visited: 08:24
20th May 2018
Date Posted: 19.39hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Had a great time last weekend in the west, Nevis Saturday, Coe Sunday. Amazing snow and views. Great staff at Nevis and Coe.Hoping for a repeat this weekend, driving up from Lancashire. Any thoughts so far regarding overhead conditions/wind affected situation? Looking at Met Office Mountain Area forecast it suggests strong to gale force northerlies Saturday, easing on Sunday. Would Saturday be a day of lift closures???? too early to be sure?

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.48hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Forecast for weekend looking good in the West [www.snow-forecast.com] even at the summit [www.metoffice.gov.uk]

rickmanchester

Last Visited: 09:38
3rd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 02.55hrs on Thu 3 Mar 16
Can someone please give an update on piste conditions. Planning on traveling up from Manchester early hours of Saturday morning and not sure where is best? Glenshee, glencoe, cairngorm or Nevis?

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.36hrs on Thu 3 Mar 16
Everyone has had fresh snow and temperatures to stay cold so should be good everywhere.

AndyD

Last Visited: 10:20
19th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.10hrs on Thu 3 Mar 16
As Andy says, everywhere should be good. Weather better West on Sat. Runs at Coe are all fantastic. There is a bit of everything fron soft fresh to firm but grippy to tricky sastrugi to slightly crusty but smooth on the dark side. Really good balance of pisted vs unpisted these days. Main basin was fab today witn lots of natural features. All lifts running too.

rickmanchester

Last Visited: 09:38
3rd Feb 2019
Date Posted: 22.25hrs on Thu 3 Mar 16
Not the best on unpisted stuff so hopefully a fair amount will have been groomed

facelikeanrss

Last Visited: 09:18
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Fri 4 Mar 16
I second Glencoe being good having been up yesterday. Lots of green run options on the plateau with wide excellent pisting. Higher up as always is a bit more variable but I'd say a good introduction to unpisted Scottish ski-ing: none of the ice seems too bullet proof, no deep powder and not too much of the dreaded breakable crust.

Car park runs now all require a 10minute walk back to the base station.

If the visibility is poor, be VERY careful in the top 300m of the main basin. Yesterday there were 2 unmarked drop offs right in the middle of the piste, the second of which was approx 7 feet high and could result in a really nasty tumble if one went off it unexpectedly (or expectedly in my case...). I can't see them disappearring any time soon as I imagine grooming them out would take hours and the run would need to be closed.

AndyD

Last Visited: 10:20
19th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Fri 4 Mar 16
Car park walk length depends on your combat skills! I got to the biker bridge on the darkside yesterday.
Rick, it's a real toss up between better snow or lots of pisting. Nevis might provide a good balance this weekend. If you're spending 2 days then Coe and Nevis would be a good combo.

Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 18.21hrs on Mon 7 Mar 16
No piccies from first trip to the coe.
I was not dissapointed. They must have know I was coming as flypaper was opened. Wall to wall sun, some fresh snow and flypaper well worth the visit. If I was to say run of the day it had to be flypaper, skied it a few times and fell down it once. Graham you should have come it was awesome, CGM and Nevis both looked good as I drove by them today.

Current Page:11 of 15
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: