You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:5 of 15
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Glencoe Snow 2016
Date Posted: 22.35hrs on Mon 8 Feb 16
Ad_Hynkel Wrote:
Things were looking much better on the webcams today.

Having a bit of 'mare with connectivity at the moment for the cameras. Glencoe's TooWay dish crumpled in last weeks storms and now the cable that carries the ADSL lines onto site has developed a cable fault which is causing dropouts in connection, so the uploads have been a bit random today. sad smiley

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.03hrs on Tue 9 Feb 16
Thanks for the update Alan and for all your efforts. You have your work cut out keeping these pics fed to us and it is much appreciated. Sitting at work watching the day on the mountain unfold and gagging to get up there.

Ad_Hynkel

12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.31hrs on Tue 9 Feb 16
That's some queue for a Tuesday afternoon...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.37hrs Tue 9 Feb 16 by Ad_Hynkel.

Attachments: GC_Tuesday_Queue.jpeg (105kB)  
muzza

Last Visited: 09:31
12th Sep 2020
Date Posted: 10.27hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
Good fun at Glencoe yesterday. Amazing weather with blue skies and light winds, apart from about 30 minutes of thick mist which enveloped the upper mountain at 10am and then departed as quickly as it had arrived.

Upper slopes were in pretty good nick with Main Basin, Etive Glades and Spring Run being pretty loaded, hence the big queues on the Main Basin T-Bar. Felt like a weekend day it was so busy, although after the stop-start nature of the season so far I think most could put up with the queues given the good conditions.

Things were a little thin towards the bottom of the lower runs, especially the Plateau Run, although the Low road was in better nick and will prove a popular alternative when the new chair goes in.

I was impressed with the Old Mugs Alley run, a very nice learner slope with a little more altitude and better snow that than Plateau. It was proving popular with beginners as was the Coire Pollach tow which looks to be a good addition to the hill. Personally I find buttons a pain to use with a snowboard, and this was no exception, but that might just be me.

One thing that struck me was just how much the hill misses the Cliffhanger. Not only did it put much more pressure on the Wall T-bar (with it's at times chaotic queue) but it also split the beginners area from the upper mountain. With the cable on the deck you had to choose your route carefully to the bottom of the Wall T-Bar to avoid limboing under the wire. Get well soon Cliffy!

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 13.29hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
The Rannoch Button came on just before lunchtime and has eaten what queue there was up top for lunch!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.31hrs Wed 10 Feb 16 by alan.

Attachments: rannochbutton.jpg (97kB)  
tim1mw

Date Posted: 20.04hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
alan Wrote:
The Rannoch Button came on just before lunchtime and has eaten what queue there was up top for lunch!

Awesome I prefer buttons to T-Bars, just in time for my stay! Hooray!

Intermittent snow at car park level right now, so hopefully a bit more fresh stuff for tomorrow.

mlsgraham

Last Visited: 03:07
24th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
Any ideas on when to expect the Cliffy back in action? Need it for a rest of the legs instead of getting dragged all over the place by the t bar!!

Ad_Hynkel

12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
Rannoch Button made an instant difference to the queue at the top. Good move by the staff. Wall queues were not that bad once folk were doubling up... A great day up there today. Couldn't keep away from the East Ridge but tiring getting back out each time as kept dropping too low.

veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 00.03hrs on Thu 11 Feb 16
Ditched work Thurs/Fri can't afford to miss any more of this! Glencoe Thurs and Nevis Fri. Currently at Glencoe Car park along with about 20 other motorhomes. Dusting of fresh on the car park.

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.36hrs Thu 11 Feb 16 by veletron.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 18.02hrs on Thu 11 Feb 16
It was a bit misty today, but the visibility was mostly OK (just). There is however plenty of nice soft snow on the mountain, so I really can't complain. Back in my cabin now (and presumably seeing Veletron's motorhome out the window) and looking forward to tomorrow.

veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 00.17hrs on Fri 12 Feb 16
Aye, it was good. Spring run, happy valley and the wall did it for me. Quite a few rocks showing - avoidable, but kind of wished I had brought my rock-hoppers as then I would not have needed to avoid.

Dont worry Tim, not me spoiling your view! I was over the other side of the car park in the freeloaders area! Now at Nevis Range - but not before some tw*t in an HGV came around a bend on my side of the road nr Corran and took my bloody wing mirror off. £200 frigging quid. Di*k!

What was going on at the top of the Main basin T bar? guys working on comms gear all day, looks like a new comms-hut. Alan's new 1Gbit camera feed or is Glencoe gonna get 4G ?!

Nigel

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.11hrs on Fri 12 Feb 16
What was going on at the top of the Main basin T bar? guys working on comms gear all day, looks like a new comms-hut. Alan's new 1Gbit camera feed or is Glencoe gonna get 4G ?!

We wish... Network Rail guys swapping out a stack of large deep cycle batteries because of the failure of the power supply on the upper mountain.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.41hrs on Sat 13 Feb 16
Quite a few people were struggling to walk down the fence-line of the Red Access run this afternoon, having decided to ski the top half. This is a really horrible walk particularly in ski boots on difficult terrain.

If you really don't want to take the chair down, head further East out towards the Blue Access Run and the old Weasel Track. The shallow gully that forms the Blue Access has good snow which is largely untouched to around 1700ft (half way down the Access Chair - though you can not see the Blue Access Run from Chair), just above the corner of the red bike track which provides a much easier going 7-10minute walk back to the carpark.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 11.14hrs on Sun 14 Feb 16
alan Wrote:
Quite a few people were struggling to walk down the fence-line of the Red Access run this afternoon, having decided to ski the top half. This is a really horrible walk particularly in ski boots on difficult terrain.

I saw people doing the same on Thursday and Friday, it didn't seem very advisable to me.

Andy28

Last Visited: 22:01
9th Mar 2021
What's this?
Date Posted: 20.02hrs on Mon 15 Feb 16
so whats goin on with the cliffy?

Current Page:5 of 15
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: