You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
sredna100

Aonach Mor snow winter 2015 - 2016
Date Posted: 11.28hrs on Sun 29 Nov 15
Currently snowing down to sea level and lots on the hills , been building over the last 2 weeks now and its still November !

A few changes on the hill this year too , new garage for the turfer been built near the goose drive along with a new hydro scheme lower down generating much of the power needed to run things.......... a great wee green project, bit of a refurb in the restaurant too I believe ? Hope to sample it in 3 weeks if this keeps up.

Oh and new MD on the hill too so lets see what fresh ideas appear

See ya there !

sredna100

Re: Aonach Mor snow winter 2015 - 2016
Date Posted: 12.57hrs on Mon 21 Dec 15
A fair bit of fresh has arrived on the hill in the last 2 days with current snow level around 2400 feet.
Needs a fair bit more to start the season now after the thaw but its looking a bit better now and expected to stay colder till Xmas at least.

sredna100

Date Posted: 19.31hrs on Sat 26 Dec 15
Well...... Nevis rangers are threatening to open skiing for the season tomorrow with limited skiing on the lower runs with access on the Alpha tow.

Not much to get excited about yet but there is a fair bit of snow gathering now although a lot of the more exposed areas will be well scoured after recent winds, that said the Goose is likely to be holding plenty snow and looking up earlier I could see definite lines of snow along the fences on the summit runs and near bare hill to the sides of that........sounds like early last season ?

Lighter winds forecast for Sunday and fair weather !

sredna100

Date Posted: 19.53hrs on Sun 10 Jan 16
Fairly good day on the hill today with top to bottom sliding , have to say it was better than I expected with around 6 inches of fresh overnight that fell straight down .

Lifts running were the Linnhe for beginners and the Alpha, Goose and Summit tows as well as the gondola of course. not many on the hill and it was straight onto the tows each time so no wasted time.

All the lifts seem well prepared this season ready mounted with chairs, T-bars and buttons and ready for action.

So far most of the snow has come from the East so most snow is on the front of the hill , Had a wander over the top today and Summit gully looked in poor condition, possibly just skiable, Easy looked a mixture of old dirty snow with some fresh in places, Chancer has rock bands visible and not nice.

There is fresh snow lying all over the summit plateau for anybody looking for a wee wander.
It was dry and fairly mild, above freezing , more fresh is possibly on the cards for tonight ?

Chris H

Last Visited: 23:59
13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 15.51hrs on Mon 11 Jan 16
Looks like a steady build up in the snow cover and some decent conditions being reported. Looking forward to scoring my first turns of the season later this week.

SAIS have posted a few pics today on their blog, the areas shown are mostly grass underneath and so with only moderate amounts of snow can give some nice turns, as seems to be the case right now.

Chris H

13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 21.17hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
Cracking afternoon on the hill today. I wasn’t sure what to expect given that we haven’t had any really significant snow storms but was pleasantly surprised. Unusually the snow that has fallen has come pretty much straight down meaning there is a fairly even blanket cover across all runs. This ranges from about 8-12 inches at the top station to maybe a couple of feet higher up. If you know where to look there was some lovely powder on offer, and you can basically go anywhere on the front of the hill, just watch out for rocks lurking under the surface. The backs need lots more snow to be worth the effort, but even so a few hardy soles had ventured in.

Pics here: [www.winterhighland.info]

Chris H

13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 17.57hrs on Fri 15 Jan 16
Another 4-6 inches of snow last night and by all accounts the front of hill is in pretty good shape.

I notice Warrens tow is listed as scheduled to run tomorrow, so that will make it easier to lap the good stuff and score some fresh tracks. It will also spread the weekend crowds out, not that there is ever a problem with queues at Nevis anyway!

Worth watching the most recent video update which shows some footage from Wednesday, remember since then there has been some more snow so should all add up to a great weekend.

[www.youtube.com]

Chris H

13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Sat 16 Jan 16
Fantastic day on the hill today. Forecasts had suggested a generally clear day with snow only pushing in later on. Wrong – by 11am it was dumping down but fortunately, and rather strangely the visibility remained fairly good. Great conditions all over but spent the afternoon lapping warrens area which had fantastic windblown powder, that was reloaded on every run.

Awesome snow over by warrens ^^

Dumping down snow looking to the goose drive and t-hut ^^

More pics here: [www.winterhighland.info]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.40hrs Sat 16 Jan 16 by Chris H.

Attachments: Warrens.jpg (50kB)   Goose.jpg (44kB)  
tupp

Date Posted: 21.50hrs on Sat 16 Jan 16
It was fantastic today. My son and I had an excellent day. No queues, no dramas, just space to roam and some ace snow.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.51hrs Sat 16 Jan 16 by tupp.

StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 21.32hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
The weather didn't play ball today with poor viz all over the hill and the cloud getting lower and lower as the day went on.

The snow from the Goose up felt great, but you couldn't see the difference between that and the cloud.

Still... beats a day in the office!

Typical view from the Chair for most of the day

Rookie Box setup at the bottom of Alpha

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.34hrs Tue 19 Jan 16 by StevieMcK.

Attachments: Nevis_20160119_SMK_001.jpg (83kB)   Nevis_20160119_SMK_002.jpg (182kB)  
growwild

Date Posted: 01.55hrs on Sun 24 Jan 16
The fence framing the boarder looks like a smack heads teeth. The owl on the left and auld wizard on the post tae the right is cool and proof i'm highhhhhhhhh

Paley

Last Visited: 21:32
10th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 22.11hrs on Sun 24 Jan 16
growwild Wrote:
The fence framing the boarder looks like a smack heads teeth. The owl on the left and auld wizard on the post tae the right is cool and proof i'm highhhhhhhhh

I looked long and really connected with the owl, what a majestic creature. It told me tales from ancient woodlands as well as secrets of our moon and stars, it also explained pie and beans at the Coe is the best scran to be had up the hills

growwild

Date Posted: 16.34hrs on Mon 25 Jan 16
So who built the moon? smiling smiley

I think there has tae be a debate on the scran side of things, I've had a better munch up Nevis in relative comfort than what ya get squeezing intae Glencoes wee sweaty shed... But Cairngorm and its sale of Scotch eggs ruled when it was worth going to the place...

Was planning on hitting Nevis a good bit this year if my knee is awright, seems like the best place for getting the miles in these days.( if it snows)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.35hrs Mon 25 Jan 16 by growwild.

Paley

Last Visited: 21:32
10th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 21.04hrs on Wed 27 Jan 16
To be honest I zoned out a bit when he mentioned the moon, my mind was already well and truly boggled.

Scotch egg is a good shout! If only you could get a beer with a pie at the coe's plateau chateau.

Aye, need to get my finger oot and make more of nevis, back corrie laps are pretty unique. Hope your knee stays strong, give me shout if you run out of herbal relief ;-)

growwild

Date Posted: 16.40hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Haha, cheers!

I noticed glencoe have an emirates branded chair on fudbook so there could be mair chance of getting 50 lashes than a beer...

Get stoned on the emirates chair.

Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: