You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Lecht snow 2015/2016
Date Posted: 08.32hrs on Sun 17 Jan 16
The Lecht going for the first full house of uplift this season, will be busy but with all tows going should be a decent day. Remember there is a bar above the cafe in the Base Lodge too.

ColinTheCop

Last Visited: 18:44
16th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 17.14hrs on Sun 17 Jan 16
I went to the Lecht Saturday too, No point posting pic as after Stevies, mine look like they've been taken with a potato.

After my last experience with CG I went to The Lecht with my lad and 3 of his friends.

It was a superb day. We got to the Car park at 0840hrs and all life were already running.

During the day both carparks were full but everything was running so there was next to no queues.

The chairlift was scheduled to have it's last uplift at 1545hrs, but people were still turning up as the snow was superb, and they kept it going for another 15 minutes letting people on.

Not me, it was too bloody dark but the kids appreciated another run they weren't expecting.

But anyway, can you imagine CG running later because their customers want it...?

I just wish the management and staff of the Lecht were running Cairngorm...

jelly2

Last Visited: 15:15
18th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.30hrs on Sun 17 Jan 16
A really good day at the Lecht. Staff great as usual. Piste was great
but a few stones and bare patches appearing on lower Eagle, nursery areas
and steeper sections skiers left of the Grouse tow. Visibility excellent all
day and queues pretty reasonable considering the place was at capacity with cars
parked back down the 939 for half a km. Only gripe was uplift, Falcon
went off with me and my son on it mid morning. According to Facebook some
plonker skied wide on the uptrack and pulled the cable off. It wasn't a nice
experience to feel the cable go slack when you're on the steep section and
being unsure if it's going to land on yer heid. Hope the culprit got their
lift pass taken off them. Also tried off piste wide of the Buzzard towards a
functioning Harrier. The snow had got a bit compressed and made it tricky but
it was doable. Downer was the Harrier went off when we got across the road..
Not sure why but took around 2+ hours to get it going again. Buzzard side has
great snow and 4 big pistes but the queue was slow due to its popularity. A
second poma on that side would make all the difference.

Attachments: harrier and falcon from buzzard.JPG (113kB)   eagle from car park.JPG (133kB)   giving up on the harrier.JPG (132kB)  
IainMaits

Last Visited: 08:42
18th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 23.49hrs on Sun 17 Jan 16
Had a cracking day at the lecht to kick off my season. Saw the falcon be derailed twice in the space of an hour while queueing. On the second occasion however a poma got jammed in the top return wheel because someone can't offload correctly according to an eyewitness. Rather annoying how it closed it for the whole day

The snow however was excellent, stones started appearing towards the end but that's no biggie early season. It was nice to see the lecht busy for once but even still, you weren't waiting more than 10 mins in a queue. Hats off to the staff and management.

It was great to finally get a run on the harrier after never seeing it open before in the last 8 years. Gotta love that catapult launch though smiling smiley

Also it looked as if they're installing a rope tow to the right of the snowy owl run but I could be wrong.

swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.36hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
I was up on Friday and whilst the weather wasn't great the snow was superb and all the staff were great as usual, Cairngorm really should take a leaf out of their book.

I also saw what looked like another tow going in, anyone have any more info' on this?

swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.09hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
From the Lechts FB page...

"Exciting news, Opening Soon

The Lecht is excited to say that our new Penguin Kindergarten Park will be opening soon, we have a new Rotondo Carousel which allows kids to get to grips with balancing and sliding around on skis or snowboards for the first time in a safe and fun way. There will also be a new lift to take them to the top of the penguin park. Along with our fun penguins, snowmen, toadstools and bumble bee, we have dragon slalom and arches to weave in and out of making learning to ski and board all the more fun. The Penguin Park is designed for children from the age of 2 up to 8.

Along with our new park we are also pleased to announce that we are introducing Burton Riglet Snowboards. With the Riglet reel tow cable, it's the easiest way to teach your mini ones how to shred."

Bravo to the Lecht!! smiling smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.10hrs Mon 18 Jan 16 by swavis.

oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.03hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
Great news from The Lecht.

I assume they run on the smallest winter income of the 5 biggies so hats off to them.

kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
Brilliant news from the Lecht, especially for young kids and adults who want to try out skiing or snowboarding, and to make their experience more enjoyable.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 08.45hrs on Wed 3 Feb 16
Overnight change in wind direction means the Lecht hope to open several main lifts along with the beginner area on Wednesday.

kaiserpc

Last Visited: 15:39
31st Mar 2020
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Thu 4 Feb 16
looking for a slide teaching 2 beginners on Saturday, and was thinking of going to the lecht - as Cairngorm would be charging us full price to use the Ciste t-bar all day (if it's fixed by then). I see the Lecht do limited area passes - does anyone know what runs are included on the limited area pass?

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.38hrs on Thu 4 Feb 16
Unless it's changed recently the beginner ticket is the Magic Carpet + handle tows and the Kestral Poma. If they could comfortably use/ski the Ciste Fairway / T-bar then that would be pretty limiting and you would be better with the full ticket.

Keep an eye on the cams later tomorrow, it's going to be a mild night, before a cold front sweeps through the East early afternoon heralding what is looking like a more promising spell of weather.

kaiserpc

31st Mar 2020
Date Posted: 10.19hrs on Fri 5 Feb 16
Thanks Alan,

they haven't used the ciste t-bar yet - that was my plan for this Saturday, but I'm guessing it will be mobbed up there on Saturday and thought the Lecht might be a better bet. I'm teaching my daughter who is 8, 1 day on skis (doesn't like doing a snow plough, and just races downhill parallel and crashes at the bottom), and my brother, 2 days on skis, who can snowplough straight down with the best of them, but is just learning to traverse

kaiserpc

31st Mar 2020
Date Posted: 21.28hrs on Sat 6 Feb 16
We had a great day at the lecht on Saturday, winds weren't too bad at all, and the pistes were really quiet all day. Big thanks to the lifty Jock, he was really good and encouraging with my daughter. The 2 limited area passes were less than the price I would have paid just for myself at Cairngorm! They should a leaf out of the lecht's book.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 13.24hrs on Tue 9 Feb 16
Showers starting to form over Moray Firth and intensifying band of precipitation to the NW upwind. Looks promising for the Lecht later with the mesoscale models still optimistic of a decent top up. Watch the radar later, Lecht could be a sneaky choice for Wednesday if the convective showers deliver!

tim1mw

Date Posted: 21.56hrs on Tue 9 Feb 16
Slightly delayed report from monday 8th. Of the main lifts, Eagle, Grouse, Snowy Owl and Falcon ran. Falcon didn't start till after 12 and hardly anybody went over that way when it did. The lifty told me I was the first paying customer to use it and I only saw 2 others on it before heading to lunch after quite a few laps. Which was a shame, because it was the only run with consistently good snow cover for it's entire length, the others all had bare or icy patches. There was very little evidence of fresh snow from sundays storm. The weather was clear and mostly sunny till lunch time, at which point the black clouds and mist rolled in.

Edit: I forgot to add that I saw a shiny new PB600 doing it's thing during the day. I don't recall this acquisition being reported. (Did I miss it?)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.48hrs Wed 10 Feb 16 by tim1mw.

Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: