You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
A93 washed away by River Dee
Date Posted: 17.07hrs on Wed 30 Dec 15
The A93 between Crathie and the Pass of Ballater has been washed away for it's full width by the River Dee, diversion is possible (weather permitting via the A939 and B976). eye popping smiley

Photo by @Fi_Pringle on Twitter.

growwild

Re: A93 washed away by River Dee
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Wed 30 Dec 15
Cool pic, natures getting mair precise the older she gets..

Is inbreeding helping matters?[www.theguardian.com]

The guardian also has a video of a caravan floating doon the Dee.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.29hrs on Thu 31 Dec 15
A significantly longer section has now gone as the river continues to undercut the bank and widen it's meander. Notice the field has been cut into too as the fence has now gone.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

growwild

Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Fri 1 Jan 16
They should leave the river as is and build a road over it on pillers, tell the farmer it's an act of some God and he'll get nae mair cash for doing feck all...

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Sat 2 Jan 16
Aberdeenshire Council saying the Invercauld Bridge will be closed to traffic for at least several weeks. Unlike the the section which collapsed into the River between Crathie and Ballater, there's no alternative local route and Braemar is only accessible from the South over the Cairnwell Pass.

Access to Glenshee Ski Centre from the Aberdeen area will be via the A90 to Forfar and through Glenisla to access the Ski Area from the South until the bridge reopens. Adds around 20miles to the journey, obviously from further inland and up Deeside the diversion options are longer and more complicated.

With Braemar dependent on the Cairnwell Pass for connection to the outside world hopefully there will be a huge effort into keeping the A93 open between the Spittal of Glenshee and Braemar.

Partially collapsed bridge arch: [pbs.twimg.com]

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.58hrs on Sat 2 Jan 16
Unfortunately the current system is a bit milder than modelled over the previous couple of days and AWS data indicate it is raining at all levels on the Cairnwell. Plus 2°c at the Summit with a dp of +2°c/100%RH indicating summit in cloud.

Indications are precipitation will be snow on the tops by the early hours of Sunday, but it will be marginal whether we see snow at road level at Glenshee tomorrow - which isn't good at all, the higher the snowline the more water is going straight into the river catchments.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.59hrs Sat 2 Jan 16 by alan.

AndrewG71

Last Visited: 23:55
2nd Oct 2017
Date Posted: 00.25hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
It would appear that the river level is currently falling, after having risen earlier in response to today's rain - no doubt it won't be long before its starts to rise again. SEPA's website shows that today it reached a level of 1.649m at c.4pm at Polhollick, just upstream of where the Gairn joins the Dee above Ballater. This is compared to a level of 3.219m recorded at 11.45am on 30th December (average level at for this gauge is 0.69m).

It looks as if the water level gauge at Mar Lodge stopped working yesterday for some reason.

[apps.sepa.org.uk]

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
I wonder if a shuttle bus could be implemented to get people from invercauld to Glenshee ?
One could park up before the bridge and walk over the old bridge if main bridge is closed to pedestrians during repair work

Of course there would be issues with parking

I wonder how many locals are using the invercauld tracks via Lin of Dee or the track from balmoral to access braemar

I am surprised I haven't heard any plans for extra buses to shuttle people from braemar to Ballater etc
You can clearly see the trashed phone lines etc in that photo of the bridge

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 11.53hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
I don't think anyone's found a complete way into Braemar through the estates given damage to bridges and roads on the estates. I guess the old military bridge isn't wide enough to take cars or is there no drivable approach to the old bridge?

BraemarBob

Last Visited: 16:51
13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 15.57hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
We have just had comms restored to Braemar after a full two days outage. I travelled down to Edinburgh prior to the inundation and got down to Perth again yesterday.There are many issues with bridges and roads across the entire area and I was advised clear of Glenisla roads on one of my journeys. I don't see it being likely that access to Glenshee from the east is going to be viable for weeks. After inspection, the Brig O'Dee is now firmly closed and the old bridge is locked-off. A few folk have keys and it has been used however I am told the tracks too/from are now chopped to bits and mud as result of vehicle use.

The back tracks and estate roads are not open to the public, some folk have keys but I doubt any of these are capable of sustaining regular traffic especially with the sodden ground.As I type, it looks as if some snow may be arriving circa 2000' on the Braes O'mar. I attach a photo of the floods after they peaked. Quite a few issues around here...

Attachments: Deluge-01.jpg (354kB)  
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.40hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
There is still amber weather warning from the Met office for further potential flooding, Scottish communities prepare for more floods [www.bbc.co.uk], hopefully this precipitation will turn to snow at road level at Glenshee ski area to lessen the impact of further floods down at Braemar and Ballater.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.20hrs on Sun 3 Jan 16
Unfortunately the temperature has gone back and it's +1.4°c at the Summit of the Cairnwell, which means rain at all levels (<20% probability of snow on the highest part of the ski area). Any snow that did fall earlier in the day will be finding it's way down towards the Dee. sad smiley

Owen

Last Visited: 11:05
12th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.35hrs on Mon 4 Jan 16
I drove south from Braemar today (Monday), very difficult driving conditions with lots of standing water on the road and streams/rivers flowing across it. There was an inch or two of slush on the road at the ski centre but I couldn't see much higher.

As for using the estate roads round by Invercauld House, sorry the bridge at Linn of Quoich is also out - big time.

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Mon 4 Jan 16
varying degrees of chaos all around blairgowrie too, the a93 to glenshee is ok i think, but roads to everywhere else are either very sketchy or shut right now. probably just as well there's no snow, we've had a fair few twats chancing driving through floods and causing issues as it is!

[www.thecourier.co.uk]

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.21hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
More info on foot bridge in Cairngorms post Frank
[cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com]

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: