You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Print media bashing Scotland's ski industry
Date Posted: 12.38hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
[www.thenational.scot]

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Re: Print media bashing Scotland's ski industry
Date Posted: 12.58hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
Actually,it's fair enough, isn't it? Not enough snow for skiing and a very late start to the season, that's an unfortunate truth.It's even a bit positive about snow on the way. Fingers crossed for that!
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
I would add that before Christmas they where showing pictures of very bare mountain sides in the Alps on TV with thin ribbons of artificial stuff on the pistes. The weather has been awful in all senses of the words; I bet a lot of people right now would happily swap further rain for cold and snow smiling smiley
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.43hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
It's the implication that this is abnormal for ski resorts and they would normally have full skiing for Xmas new year....in truth January storms are what our seasons start with on the whole

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
tele-ecosse

Last Visited: 22:52
1st Jun 2016
Date Posted: 14.54hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
Although not a very good bit of journalism I feel the Subject heading on this post is not great either
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.01hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
Remarkable similarity to I gather a CML press statement that the Strathy reported on last Thursday. A newer cafe and a bigger shop will make naff all difference, it matters not a lot how profitable CML is - it is Snowsports that brings lots of people to the area at this time of year, without CML making a success of Snowsports the money tap doesn't get switched on.

Diversification in terms of the funicular has not been a success financially, non skiing visits have declined by half since opening. Appropriate diversification which can drive return visits and that's not reliant on revenue extraction from the Strath will help, but inappropriate diversification will just have us back at square one. What is vital is CML must have the critical mass to get the numbers on the hill when conditions are good to 'make hey when the sun shines'. Glenshee has it, Glencoe is working on it, whereas CML spent a decade removing capacity - they don't have the catering or uplift capacity anymore and reducing Carpark capacity to match uplift may make for a better experience, but it won't help get back the critical mass of capacity that is sorely required not just for CMLs sake but also the wider Strath.
Pitbull

Last Visited: 16:43
24th Nov 2017
Date Posted: 18.56hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
The recent storms haven't helped in the slightest. Bringing the southern weather has kept it incredibly warm. You could also argue that the weather has been bad throughout Europe as a whole. Many of the lower resorts in France and Italy haven't had any since mid December. In fact the ski racing has been taking place on moved / manufactured snow and many of the races have had to be switched to other resorts that actually have some.

I can count the amount of days I've had up the hills before xmas on 2 hands in recent years. Its only the 7th of January, it's looking like it may hit now tho smiling smiley
growwild

Date Posted: 20.01hrs on Tue 5 Jan 16
Just another adverts for Cairngorms...

[www.dailyrecord.co.uk] Here's a positive article fae a negative rag.
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 06.58hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
It always confuses me why folk get so very over-protective at the slightest hint of this being a bad winter in terms of lack of snow or bad season in terms of lack of sport.

Any time anyone dares to question it, the excuses are wheeled out about how its not really that bad, and how it compares to previous years etc.

I'm not so sure why we need to be so protective over something which isn't in need of defence. Why cant we just call it like it is?

I started boarding something like 5 years ago, maybe six - cant remember. Woulda been around 2010/11 anyway. Since then, this is the first year I remember not being on a hill before new year and certainly the worst shape I can remember the snow cover being in a week in to the new year. Maybe i'm looking at previous years through rose tinted spectacles, but i'm fairly confident a comparison of the situation as it stands today against the same date in the last 5 years would show that this IS a pretty crappy winter, and IS a slow start to the season.

I know the stock response here is going to be tales of how it was much worse in nineteen eighty something or other - but that doesn't really carry much relevance in the here and now.
ESD1711

13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 08.12hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
Out of interest though - when exactly was the last year that we'd had zero days of lift served snowsports at any of the resorts by 6th January?

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Print media bashing Scotland's ski industry
Date Posted: 09.06hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
Looking at our records for Glencoe, this season is not unusual, I think we have only opened before Christmas for 7 years in the last 60. However 5 of these have been in the last 10 so may be the recent great seasons are building up an unrealistic expectation. In the early days at Glencoe the season didn't historically start until Mid Feb when the weather had settled and the snow had consolidated, but it then continued through well into May. There has been a drive to be open earlier and earlier and then unfortunately numbers drop of in the late season often when some of the best conditions are available. Think it's just good that the industry is getting publicity and hopefully very soon it will be about the great snow covered slopes.
ESD1711

13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 09.22hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
Interesting figures there - the 5 years in 10 kinda backs up my point...... 7 years in 60 less so much.

Suppose it then becomes a question of whats a fair sample range.

Out of interest though, you've pulled those stats based on 'Pre Christmas' - given that we are now coming on for two weeks after Christmas, do the numbers change much, if at all, based on 6th Jan rather than 25th Dec?
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
Date Posted: 09.24hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
Good interview on Radio Scotland this morning Andy ( Igloo4you) putting over very well what you have said above smiling smiley
If only the press were as keen to write about Scottish skiing during the usually excellent conditions in April and May !

Helen
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.32hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
ESD1711,

Glencoe average start date would be mid January if you look back over the 60 years, latest start date was 19th Feb.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.01hrs on Wed 6 Jan 16
igloo4you Wrote:
ESD1711,

Glencoe average start date would be mid January if you look back over the 60 years, latest start date was 19th Feb.

It should be noted however that Glencoe has historically had much later opening dates than Cairngorm/Glenshee. So while Glencoe would on average start in mid January the other resorts would start before Christmas.

I concure with ESD1711, this winter is what it is, and it is rubbish across the whole of Europe. I imagine it is pretty dire on the East coast in the USA too.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: