You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
denfinella


Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2013
Last Visited: 19:35
30th Dec 2020
Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 22.43hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
I have two days off over the next week - this Friday and next Tuesday. Which do you think would be better to head skiing on? Driving from Glasgow, and can't afford to go both days! And not free at the weekend. The way I see it is:

Friday
- weather forecast not good by this week's standards, possibly with poor visibility and quite windy
- best weather probably at Glenshee, but only a few lifts currently open

Tuesday
- doubt about the weather forecast - could be better than Friday, but risk of it deteriorating next week
- if wind OK, probably higher chance of more lifts being open at Glenshee, Glencoe and Cairngorm

Although some of the centres are saying they're nearly ready to open new terrain, I've a sneaking suspicion that much of this will suddenly happen on Saturday to coincide with bigger visitor numbers.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Have a probably fairly good day on Friday, or gamble on having a fantastic day on Tuesday, but with risk of it going pear shaped?

igloo4you


Posts: 521
Joined: Oct 2009
Last Visited: 19:41
15th Jan 2021
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 22.57hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
Cracking forecast at Glencoe for both days, don't think you will go far wrong with either. [www.snow-forecast.com]

denfinella


Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2013
Last Visited: 19:35
30th Dec 2020
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 23.40hrs on Wed 13 Jan 16
Thanks igloo4you (Andy?). Yes, Friday looks good according to snowforecast, but MWIS (and Alan's forecast on winterhighland - not sure if this is taken from somewhere else) are more cautious about sunshine / cloud. I can't see out to Tuesday yet (you have to subscribe to see beyond 6 days), but presumably looks like the weather might hold?

Appreciate you probably won't be able to give a definitive answer, but how likely do you think that one of the summit lifts might be open by Friday? And by next Tuesday?

Skied Glencoe (twice) and Nevis (once) last year, so Glenshee is calling. Although would like to have ago on Coire Pollach too! Choices...



Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.44hrs Wed 13 Jan 16 by denfinella.

fyall


Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 2007
Last Visited: 09:59
10th Feb 2016
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 08.45hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
Was up at Glenshee yesterday and the conditions were fantastic but I agree with your thought about the terrain not opening until the weekend. I think this will likely be due to lack of staff and the amount of work needed to get everything going. They were working hard yesterday with all the resources they had and the back areas were being pisted so you never know. With Butcharts and Sunnyside open there is lots to play on and once the Sunnyside chair gets going today this will increase the Sunnyside area.

Andy


Posts: 1406
Joined: Jan 2003
Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 11.21hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
hope they do open more terrain at the weekend, got a feeling it's going to be mobbed!.

PeterS


Posts: 972
Joined: Feb 2003
Last Visited: 17:24
2nd Jan 2021
What's this?What's this?
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 12.25hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
status table has Tom Dearg 'opening'.

ESD1711


Posts: 185
Joined: Nov 2011
Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 13.46hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
You do get the feeling theres going to be a bit of a 'weekend invasion' this week given the number of folk who'll be sitting itching to get up a hill.

Does pose a fair few dilemmas in terms of whether its worth making the trip relative to the terrain which is going to be open, the condition its going to be in and the demand there's gonna be for it.

That said, I think theres due to be a significant thaw next week? If that's the case it might well be a case of this weekend or having to wait a few more till you get another chance at it - another factor which might contribute to it being super busy.

Andy


Posts: 1406
Joined: Jan 2003
Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 15.25hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
I think it could be mega busy at the weekend (at glenshee anyway). The road from Aberdeen is also reopened. I'm prepared for the usual early season hicups/queues (but i'm also going up Friday, sat and maybe Tuesday!) Some sites hint towards a gradual thaw late next week but I don't think it's definately nailed yet.


sspeirs


Posts: 355
Joined: Mar 2008
Last Visited: 16:29
13th Jan 2021
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 17.50hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
Got to say I've been pondering a day off since the snow arrived, and with none of the higher terrain at Glenshee or Glencoe open I've held back. I see Glencoe have updated the WH page saying the main basin should be open at sometime tomorrow Friday so it's the Coe for me. Weather according to snow-forecast.com looks good and there may be some fresh.

Maybe see some of you around tomorrow or Saturday

denfinella


Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2013
Last Visited: 19:35
30th Dec 2020
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 21.23hrs on Thu 14 Jan 16
Coe for me too. Main Basin swings it, together with 20 lift tickets smiling smiley

denfinella


Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2013
Last Visited: 19:35
30th Dec 2020
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 12.30hrs on Sat 16 Jan 16
Glencoe was excellent yesterday - happy with the decision and thanks for everyone's advice. 20 seemed extraordinarily good value for what was on offer, compared to some of the lift ticket prices I've paid all over Scotland in previous seasons.

No queues, excellent snow quality, sunshine (until about 2pm anyway) and light winds. Will hopefully get around to posting a proper report later.

denfinella


Posts: 104
Joined: Jan 2013
Last Visited: 19:35
30th Dec 2020
Re: Decisions - Friday or Tuesday?
Date Posted: 13.47hrs on Sat 16 Jan 16
Photos now up in public reports.



Attachments: 1.jpg (51kB)  
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: