You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
kingderelict

Last Visited: 16:19
27th Feb 2016
Cairngorm for the family
Date Posted: 18.54hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
Evenin' all

I hope someone on here can give me a bit of info about Cairngorm and the setup for young children. I normally ski on the West coast and have taken my family up to Glencoe several times but I'm attending a course at Cairngorm on Sunday and feel I need to investigate sledging and other activities for the wife and kids.

We've checked the website and haven't managed to find much info on sledging. Can anyone tell me if there is/are:

Designated sledging areas or times on the hill?
Sledge hire?
A need to book?

In my experience Glencoe and Nevis are really cool and relaxed with all of the above but with Cairngorm being bigger and busier I'm making an assumption they have to be a bit more stringent with these things. Any info on this would really appreciated.

somnambulant_sasquatch

Last Visited: 12:56
31st Jul 2019
Re: Cairngorm for the family
Date Posted: 19.21hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
don't do it, go to the lecht instead.
kingderelict

27th Feb 2016
Date Posted: 19.40hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
Ha ha ha! Is it that bad!?

Cairngorm wouldn't be my first choice but I need to be there and as we'll only have one car up north I need to take the family with me...
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.52hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
There is no Sledging ...unless you go to the snowy bank round at the Ciste behind the old building. Many years ago there was a child tragically died sledging in the area below the Cas car park....and for some years recently the Operator offered Sledging in a designated area near the Ptarmigan...with their gear off course !I don't think you are allowed to take a Sledge on the White Elephant...err Train !!Have you checked the forecast ?...I think it is pretty dire for the Weekend and a lot will change...apart from Cairngorm trying to fleece money off folk.

I understand your Social Restrictions but I agree with the previous poster !
pfairbrother

Last Visited: 12:11
27th Nov 2017
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.00hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
No designated sledging areas on cairngorm.

The hayfield in Glenmore is a great place to sledge. If the cover is poor then go into coire na ciste car park as George suggested. Stay away from Coire Cas it will be bedlam there!

Sledges available at Bill's shop aka Glenmore shop opposite the Youth Hostel.

Come with TREKnTRAIL for a memorable and enjoyable outdoor experience walking or mountain biking in the wonderful Cairngorms National Park near Aviemore.

www.trekntrail.co.uk

kingderelict

27th Feb 2016
Date Posted: 22.44hrs on Mon 18 Jan 16
Thanks guys. I guess any plans will need to wait on the weather. Usual! Can't really sledge down in Glenmore if the surface or overhead doesn't allow. The Ciste could be wild if this Atlantic storm arrives but thanks for all the pointers. Really useful.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: