You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
turbo1191

Last Visited: 19:03
20th Jan 2016
Best place for a slide on wed?
Date Posted: 11.27hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
Hey folks. Got a midweek day off on wednesday and wanting to head to the hills. I initially wanted to go to aviemore but looking at the weather theres going to be an inversion.. and out west looks like a bluebird day. My only concern with heading up to cirngorms is not being able to see down low.. whats peeps thoughts?
Biff

Re: Best place for a slide on wed?
Date Posted: 11.57hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
turbo1191 Wrote:
My only concern with heading up to cirngorms is not being able to see down low.. whats peeps thoughts?

Cairngorm....you have more to concern yourself with there than whither you can see or not. Will Oooops1 have the place ready to roll first thing or will they be too busy clearing a couple of inches of snow from the car park and road. I would rather go to Braehead or Hillend than Cairngorm as at least you would get your moneys worth.

If distance is no consideration then west is best...head for the Coe in the morning, I know I will as it is cheaper, friendlier and you are guaranteed no queues whatsoever midweek. Probably as many staff as skiers tomorrow as most time I go is midweek and it is generally like this. There may be an inversion here too but I believe the low cloud will be below the plateau and should be a bluebird day most of the day up top.

Enjoy your day wherever you end up
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 13.19hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
Only place Coe is cheaper than is Cairngorm.

Coe is joint second most expensive for a full day ticket, and indeed is the most expensive for a half day ticket.

I do however agree with the general 'boycott Cairngorm' theme that's becoming ever more popular on here just now. The more folk who decide not to give them their money the sooner they'll be forced to do something about it.

Biff

Date Posted: 13.49hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
ESD1711 Wrote:
Only place Coe is cheaper than is Cairngorm.

Coe is joint second most expensive for a full day ticket, and indeed is the most expensive for a half day ticket.

Not sure where you got your info from unless their own websites are wrong...as we are discussing tomorrow then midweek prices are as follows....

Glencoe full day = £25
Glenshee full day = £30
Nevis Range full day = £32
Cairngorm full day = £35
Lecht full day = £30

That makes the Coe considerably the cheapest.

To most of the users of the resorts there is a considerable distance to travel. I would not consider a 2 hour drive each way and £50 petrol bill for a half day as I believe most users wouldn't but I agree at weekends the price increases for the captive market. By the time anyone travelling from the south makes it to FW then you have cost yourself more in time and petrol than the savings on the ticket and I think this is where the Coe are taking advantage of their location to the central belt and weekend pricing.
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 14.15hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
Apologies, my post was (incorrectly) based on weekend times.

Cairngorm: £35
Glenshee: £30
Glencoe: £32
Nevis: £32
Lecht: £30

Either way, we're in agreement that Cairngorm is the most expensive, and that sbefore you even consider the fact that both Glencoe and Glenshee were operating with prices reduced from even those above (£20 at Coe and £26 at Shee).

On a weekend though, at full price, Coe is certainly the most expensive in terms of cost per lift available, which, lets be honest, is what the cost of your lift pass is going towards covering.

Glencoe £4 per lift (8 lifts)
Cairngorm £3.18 per lift (11 lifts)
Nevis £2.91 per lift (11 lifts)
Lecht £2.31 per lift (13 lifts)
Glenshee £1.36 per lift (22 lifts)

In terms of value for money, Glenshee is streets ahead in my opinion.

Anyways - I digress, apologies....
1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 14.32hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
While agree with your post that the cost per lift figures at Glencoe are highest, i think you have to look at the terrain that the Main Basin T-Bar accesses. It accesses much more varied terrain than any other lift in Scotland in my opinion
bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.01hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
I am in the same boat regarding where to go tomorrow.

I have decided to head to Glenshee as it is closest (Edinburgh), they have good variation in their runs and they are fair in offering a discount as not all the lifts are operational.

Bear in mind that this is a big change for me - I have a holiday home near Aviemore and have skied on CG for 28 years. In my eyes (and many others on here) the situation has got so poor it is simply not even worth considering wasting my time there until things improve (if they ever do!).
turbo1191

Last Visited: 19:03
20th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
I've obviously not been on here in a while.. what's went wrong with cairngorm.. not wanting to open a can of worms!
pmski

Last Visited: 12:53
19th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Tue 19 Jan 16
Was at Glenshee last Wednesday and also Sunday. The snow is good and you can ski pretty much anywhere.

Lots of lifts open, and on the Wednesday no queues at all. Depends on the weather forecast but MWIS doesn't show much difference in the weather east/west. More snow in the east so far this season, so Glenshee would get my vote plus the lifts run from 8.30am

tim

Date Posted: 22.07hrs on Thu 21 Jan 16
Glencoe yesterday was £25 ticket, top t-bar was open (full area accessible). Cairngorm were charging the full £35 the other weekend with no cas or fiacaill ridge.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: