You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
sam.n

Last Visited: 15:25
29th Jan 2016
Quick avalanche survey. Help required!
Date Posted: 08.40hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Hi there. I'm needing help with a very short survey (3-4mins max) on the SAIS and your Scottish avalanche experiences. It's for my final year dissertation but the findings will also be shared with relevant,interested organisations (SAIS, SAFOS etc). Thanks in advance… Sam

[www.surveymonkey.co.uk]
PD

Last Visited: 21:20
9th Jul 2019
Re: Quick avalanche survey. Help required!
Date Posted: 14.31hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Done
sam.n

29th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Thanks - much appreciated!
h11lly

Last Visited: 18:38
2nd Sep 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.04hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Can I just add Sam.n that although I didn't rate the blog highly in the question it was in, I rate it extremely highly in its own right. I look at them all every day even if I'm not heading out. The Creag Meagaidh one is exceptional and has taught me so much smiling smiley

Helen
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.31hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Completed the survey and I have to agree with Helen. The style of questions in the survey don't really lend themselves to emphasise the particular value of SAIS.

For example, snow pit profiling is very localised, and I had to mark it as the lowest 'value' of the five categories, but it *is* still of value. It adds to the whole picture of what your expectations are when heading out, what slopes to check, it gives an example of what might be found and more importantly allows you to confirm what has been detailed when you're actually out on the hill.

Everything about SAIS is great IMO.

Good luck with your dissertation.

sam.n

29th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 21.45hrs on Thu 28 Jan 16
Yep Mr Rupar is a legend and has personally taught me loads as well. Re: the survey I am reading all the respondents comments and question 4 is proving contentious on a number of forums. However as I am now aware of the issue that being in fifth place in that particular selection doesn't mean that the option isn't important to people - I will emphasise that in my findings. Thanks for responding - greatly appreciated.
Sam
Altaholic

Last Visited: 11:49
19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.57hrs on Fri 29 Jan 16
I agree with JC & Helen re Q4, as it is difficult to rank aspects where they are equally useful.

The blogs are good to get a feel for what is happening up on the hills even if you aren't heading up.

SAIS is a very useful service.
Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Fri 29 Jan 16
Same from me; I've replied and rate the whole SAIS service very highly indeed, every part of it. You just cannot do too much preparation when the issue is as important as this. The blogs very effectively put meat on the bones of the formal reports.
Sean.
sam.n

29th Jan 2016
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Fri 29 Jan 16
Thanks Guys - I am definitely taking note of all the responses to Question 4 and the fact that the combination of all the information/elements provided on the SAIS webpages is important, has not been lost on me and will make it into the findings section. The response so far has been fantastic and I am extremely grateful to everyone.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: