You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Article on Scottish Skiing...
Date Posted: 17.30hrs on Fri 29 Jan 16
I am writing an article on Scottish Skiing - do folks think the following is fair?

NB: I know Glencoe dont usually have a traditional snowpark, but there is lot of natural 'snowpark equivalent' terrain there! I marked Cairngorm down 1* for for total beginners and snowplough turners due to the number of these folks I have seen endlessly queueing while freezing their nads off!

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 17.34hrs Fri 29 Jan 16 by veletron.

Attachments: ski.jpg (54kB)  

Re: Article on Scottish Skiing...
Date Posted: 18.35hrs on Fri 29 Jan 16
Personally, I think Glencoe deserves *** for snowplough turners, thanks to the new Coire Pollach lift. And I would knock a star off CairnGorm for experts. I'd possibly knock a star off all the resorts for snow parks, perhaps except for CairnGorm.

Post a link to the article once you've finished it, if you can!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.35hrs Fri 29 Jan 16 by denfinella.

StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 13.40hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
In terms of parks, I'd give everyone one star expect the Lecht, who would get two stars for their permanent rail park and eagerness to push kickers as soon as they have enough snow.

Parks are very much an after thought in Scotland. Even in the past when Cairngorm would build a decent park for the Vans comps that no longer happen, they would always build the park for that one day to get the magazine exposure and then not maintain it.

If you're trying to be factual and honest in your article, then people are going to think three stars is the equivalent of a European park or even a dome park. The reality is, they're far from it.

veletron

1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.46hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
Hi

My ratings would be sure to mention that the *'s were relative to other Scottish ski area's! Lets face it, would Scotland score 3* for any of those categories if we were comparing it to the Alps, US and Canada?

Nigel

SkiFishBum

Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
I will sum up Scottish skiing for you... Wooden skis, leather boots, kilts, gingers with no sole, shit snow, wet, windy and cold.

steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
SkiFishBum Wrote:
I will sum up Scottish skiing for you... Wooden skis, leather boots, kilts, gingers with no sole, shit snow, wet, windy and cold.

Is that Lemon sole or rubber sole?

Biff

Date Posted: 18.09hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
StevieMcK Wrote:
In terms of parks, I'd give everyone one star expect the Lecht, who would get two stars for their permanent rail park and eagerness to push kickers as soon as they have enough snow.

Parks are very much an after thought in Scotland. Even in the past when Cairngorm would build a decent park for the Vans comps that no longer happen, they would always build the park for that one day to get the magazine exposure and then not maintain it.

If you're trying to be factual and honest in your article, then people are going to think three stars is the equivalent of a European park or even a dome park. The reality is, they're far from it.

Well this boy obviously never mastered his skills on local parks....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

SkiFishBum

Date Posted: 18.35hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
steelytail Wrote:Is that Lemon sole or rubber sole?

Neither, it's gingers with no souls!!

steelytail

Last Visited: 22:18
22nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 19.40hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
Very eloquent.
If the gingers with no souls keep you away from the Scottish hills then I'm happy that they're here.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.41hrs Sat 30 Jan 16 by steelytail.

growwild

Date Posted: 20.21hrs on Sat 30 Jan 16
I agree with Stevie wi regards tae parks, they seem to be built not for the customers but snowsport organizations (lazy cnuts) and sponsors for one day then left... Lecht (3) Cairngorm(2) Glenshee and Nevis on (1) and Glencoe gets hee-haw..

There will never be cure for Gingervitis and one day they will rule the Galaxy, get used tae it....

Paley

Last Visited: 21:32
10th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 10.25hrs on Sun 7 Feb 16
It's a shame we don't see more park features added. There seems to be a good demand for it and it looks like there's been some decent efforts in the past but as 'SkiFistBum' highlighted the weather makes it tricky. Just as well it doesn't take long to build a wee booter and get airborne... red hair gives you wings!

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 16.49hrs on Sun 7 Feb 16
How are you scoring this Veletron? Are you taking into account the journey, on the slopes, required to get to the beginner areas? The Lechts wins hands down on this. Glenshee also good but the rest are poorer with maybe Nevis Range slightly better than Glen Coe or Cairn Gorm.

Nevis Range and Glen Coe are best for "off piste" but Cairn Gorm fairly good and Glenshee also, if you know where to go.

veletron

1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.24hrs on Wed 10 Feb 16
Hi

Scores relative to other Scottish area's, I am not trying to compare Scotland with the Alps although given the huge disparity in funding, I reckon we hold our own.

Comments re snow parks/etc taken on board. I have not based it on distances, just the experience when you get there. Since this is aimed at Motorhomers and by definition, most of the readership will be outside of Scotland, I have highlighted the '5-area motorhome tour' done anti-clockwise which will give folks a bit of everything.

Article now submitted - will see if they publish it - no guarantees - they get hundreds of submissions, mine may not make the grade. In any case I would not expect to see this published before September in prep for winter 2016/17.

Nigel

veletron

1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.58hrs on Tue 16 Feb 16
Hi

This has been accepted for publication, but it wont get published before September 2016. Expect CP's full of freeloaders in motorhomes next winter as a result ;-)

Nigel

harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 17.25hrs on Tue 16 Feb 16
I still think skiing in Scotland is fantastic.
We should be proud that we can offer this service under difficult conditions ie weather patterns .
May it long continue .

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: