You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Abandoned ski village
Date Posted: 18.16hrs on Fri 5 Feb 16
This is hardcore! My local ski run,or at least it was.
[youtu.be]

MPW1

Last Visited: 19:36
1st Nov 2018
Re: Abandoned ski village
Date Posted: 19.24hrs on Fri 5 Feb 16
Really sad to see. Took my son there for a session in about 2004 and we had a fabulous afternoon. Dendrex was quite challenging, as I recall. Are there any plans to rebuild?
Graham

Last Visited: 08:07
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 00.45hrs on Sat 6 Feb 16
Nice but slightly sad video which brought back quite a few memories!

My ex came from Walkley at the top of the hill on the opposite side of the valley from the Ski Village. It didn't take me long to spot on our first visit as a couple to her parents the opportunity to escape for some skiing (her parents were lovely but there skiing on offer). After my first visit, I quickly realised that the surface was the best artificial surface I had skied on (am I right to remember that the surface was lubricated with water sprays?) but compared to even hard packed Scottish neve, it was absolutely brutal on the knees. Thereafter I restricted my sessions to a couple of hours but always really enjoyed the variety of the terrain and the vibe of the place.

Sad to see it that state
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 10.38hrs on Sat 6 Feb 16
Why did it close? looked like a good setup.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.43hrs on Sat 6 Feb 16
It was brutal on the knees but I always enjoyed the atmosphere there and some top UK skiers and boarders came through from Sheffield. There was a nasty fire there in 2012 which was accidental, but after that vandalism and arson seemed to take over. It is a complete wreck now. Some Sheffielders have started a campaign to revive and rebuild it, and you can sign a petition here
[www.snowsportforsheffield.co.uk]
I hope something can be done, it's sad to see what has happened there.
sbu

Last Visited: 22:05
23rd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.12hrs on Sat 6 Feb 16
Petition signed. Hopefully it can be brought back to life,looked a cracking set up. Here's a wee video of Terje riding the dry slopes in England, Sheffield is at 2.15. Don't think he fancied Hillend!
[youtu.be]

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: