You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567891011
Current Page:11 of 11
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Re: Why do Glenshee have a problem with ski touring folk?
Date Posted: 21.35hrs on Mon 29 Jan 18
wait.....The White Lady is not a piste....?

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.57hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
Tourer Wrote:
Jabuzzard you still have not managed to justify them telling people to get off their land who are passing near the ski area

I am not attempting to justify anyone, just point out that the law is not as black and white as some people seem to think. In this case I can see no justification under the law as it stands.

or who are on areas that might be ski pistes but have not been prepared or open.

The impact does not need to be immediate. I thought I covered that.

Are you suggesting that only people with lift passes are allowed anywhere near the leased area? Where exactly is the boundary (people have been scolded for touring outwith the 'ski patrol boundary'. Are we all supposed to know where these invisible boundaries are?

Again I am just pointing out the law is less cut and dry than some people seem to think; namely that legal restrictions almost certainly exist.

What about sledgers and hillwalkers.

On a piste or under a ski tow, they are no different from ski touring and likely have restricted access rights. On a personal level someone walking up a prepared piste putting bloody great holes in it is a selfish arrogant tosser.

WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.03hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
"On a personal level someone walking up a prepared piste putting bloody great holes in it is a selfish arrogant tosser"

Also rather dangerous...

Is this not just common sense? Avoid damaging other people's work (be it a groomed piste or a mown golf fairway etc.) and stay away from people coming downhill because somebody can get killed. Leave the place as you found it (as they say in the USA, leave no trace and take only a photo) and everybody is happy as larry.

If you do this, and some jobsworth STILL starts abusing you, tell him to boil his head.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.05hrs Thu 1 Feb 18 by WeeSam.

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 12.28hrs on Fri 2 Feb 18
No idea how many of you guys are locals to the north of Scotland but in my experience this kind of attitude is quite common of land owners and their representatives and not restricted to the ski centres.

The best solution I have manged to find (again this was outside snow sports but was for gaining access to land despite the "right to roam") is to be nice & make friends with the staff and management, as much as possible. Go and speak to them before heading out. I'm not saying you can't tour if they say no just make yourself known, build a relationship.

I have found the rules rarely apply to people who are friends with the operators/owners and their staff. I have spent years Mountainboarding on the roads in the Forests. The official line is that it is not permitted however I drop in with a bottle of fire water every xmas to the Forestry Commission office and all of a sudden the problem disappears.

I'm not saying that is guaranteed but if you get their back up it doesn't matter how many pieces of paper, threats of law enforcement or whatever you want to bring they will tell you to GTF and no amount of right on your side is going to change that.

Owen

Last Visited: 11:05
12th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.57hrs on Fri 2 Feb 18
So, you're saying to exercise our "Right" to roam, we should resort to bribery?

I don't think so.

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 21.22hrs on Fri 2 Feb 18
Up to you bud.

Have fun out there.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.08hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
ss

Attachments: glenshee tourers.jpg (126kB)  
Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.14hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Dunc Wrote:
ss

Noticed this sign testerday. New sign I think. They are asking tourers without tickets to stay out of managed areas. But if you have a touring ticket it's OK to be in the managed area. Whether you have a ticket or not should not have a bearing on whether you are in or out of the managed area. The rest of the sign all seems like common sense and good practice. But if I felt I wanted to tour in the mamanged area and I didn't have a ticket, I would do that, and be firm but polite if challenged.
Seems to me that their beef isn't about tourers, but tourers without tickets.

WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.28hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Maybe this requires somebody that lives in the constituency to ask their MP and MSP to write a letter to the Glenshee management to clarify their position and their rules, in regard to the Law? Usually, once an organization receives such a letter, things start moving in a positive direction (in my experience).

MP
Andrew Bowie
andrew.bowie.mp@parliament.uk

MSP
Alexander Burnett
Alexander.Burnett.msp@parliament.scot

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Dunc Wrote:
ss

Thanks for this..

As the person who started this thread I find the above new sign (notice the clamps to hold it in place)...rather disturbing...

Basically ignoring the Scottish outdoor access code totally....

The fact they say stay outside the fences...but which ones?...you can be outside a fence & off piste, but still within the "ski area" that they "claim" is theirs. If this is the case then you cannot get to the hills unless you use the one & only path on one side...but what about the other side of the road??...not seen a "designated path" there...unless I missed it...

Also that sign contradicts their own webpage on ski tourers which states:-

[www.ski-glenshee.co.uk]

""""There is some fantastic ski touring accessible from the Glenshee ski area.
In opening hours if you're using the ski area for ski touring please purchase a ski touring ticket for £12 which allows you to use the pistes for coming down and includes 3 single uplifts. Please collect the new Ski Touring code from ski patrol. This has been produced by the Mountaineering Scotland for all our safety and enjoyment.

All skining up should be done off the pistes and lift lines.

If you are using the pistes outwith opening times could you avoid newly groomed pistes."""""

If they are claiming the "ski area" is the same as the ski patrol area as shown on the piste map with a dashed purple line then they are claiming a huge area.....

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.54hrs Mon 5 Feb 18 by SnowmanDave.

Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.00hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18

Sign does say that you are 'asked' to do certain things. They don't say 'shall' or 'must'. This wording would suggest to me that Glenshee know that they can't demand these things, and that the law, guidance etc. is not on their side. As I said earlier, they are really wanting tourers to bring in some revenue. And lets' face it, revenue is very imporatnt to all Scottish ski centres.
I don't mind the sign per se. Some will buy a ticket as a result. Others won't. But what Glenshee should stop doing is harrassing tourers who are sensible, considerate, and are conforming to the codes of practice etc.

Suilven

Last Visited: 17:50
10th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.05hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Very disappointed in Glenshee's attitude and actions on this. By all means ask for a car parking donation or a cafe visit, promote their touring ticket and explain the benefits for tourers from doing so. But borderline illegal signage and aggression to tourers from staff - they can GTF

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.07hrs Mon 5 Feb 18 by Suilven.

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 18.30hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
WeeSam Wrote:
Maybe this requires somebody that lives in the constituency to ask their MP and MSP to write a letter to the Glenshee management to clarify their position and their rules, in regard to the Law? Usually, once an organization receives such a letter, things start moving in a positive direction (in my experience).

MP
Andrew Bowie
andrew.bowie.mp@parliament.uk

MSP
Alexander Burnett
Alexander.Burnett.msp@parliament.scot

If you think either of those two are going to be sympathetic to public land access issues...

WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.21hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Beastie Wrote:
If you think either of those two are going to be sympathetic to public land access issues...

they don't need to be *sympathetic* they just need to write a letter asking Glenshee to clarify their rules and procedures. Usually, such a letter is all that is required for an organization to ensure their rules are in accordance with the Law of the land. Most organizations don't want to be operating on the radar so to speak, especially if they are "bending" the Law.

I've found that MPs on all sides of the political spectrum are more than happy to take up a constituent's concern about a local issue. Your mileage may vary, but there is nothing to lose in writing a letter is there? Taking the attitude that nothing can be done will guarantee that nothing will be done.

Alexander is on the Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee. Do you think Glenshee Management will welcome a letter from him regarding a complaint from a constituent?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 19.27hrs Mon 5 Feb 18 by WeeSam.

Dunc

18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.57hrs on Mon 19 Mar 18
Dunc Wrote:
Dunc Wrote:
ss

Noticed this sign testerday. New sign I think. They are asking tourers without tickets to stay out of managed areas. But if you have a touring ticket it's OK to be in the managed area. Whether you have a ticket or not should not have a bearing on whether you are in or out of the managed area. The rest of the sign all seems like common sense and good practice. But if I felt I wanted to tour in the mamanged area and I didn't have a ticket, I would do that, and be firm but polite if challenged.
Seems to me that their beef isn't about tourers, but tourers without tickets.

I notice the new sign at Glenshee re. touring (see 5th Feb post) is not there anymore. I wonder if Glenshee took it down, or a disgruntled tourer?

Goto Page:  Previous1234567891011
Current Page:11 of 11
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: