You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Where are the best bumps and moguls right now?
Date Posted: 22.35hrs on Tue 1 Mar 16
I am interested in improving my technique. It's easy to find bumps and moguls abroad but where are the best in Scotland right now?

CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Re: Where are the best bumps and moguls right now?
Date Posted: 22.42hrs on Tue 1 Mar 16
The tiger at Glenshee had good bumps developing the other day. Though conditions have changed since then.

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 23.43hrs on Tue 1 Mar 16
At Glencoe the run back to the car park next to the fence, particularly on a busy day, can develope some interesting bumps. It's tight enough to force you to make your turns if that what you are looking for?

There was a collection building last weekend but this weather may have removed them.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.05hrs Wed 2 Mar 16 by Ad_Hynkel.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 09.05hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Good question - in the "old days" we used to get good bumps the size of VWs on the Tiger, White Lady and Main Basin <etc>

Now its all groomed to perfection.

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.40hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Doug_Bryce Wrote:
Good question - in the "old days" we used to get good bumps the size of VWs on the Tiger, White Lady and Main Basin <etc>

Now its all groomed to perfection.

Pistie beastie on the Tiger? I'd like to see that.

Not exactly bumps, but some very interesting looking stripes between Cairnwell and Thunderbowl now showing on the 'shee webcam. Wind scouring I assume, looks like it could be quite "interesting" terrain...

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 09.49hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Tiger bumps were good by the close of play on Sunday- so I'd expect the same to recur most weekends for a while. Currently they've partly filled in with new windblown but as that's not consolidated yet, will scrape out very quickly.
Get up there and help make them!

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.56hrs on Wed 2 Mar 16
Tiger is my shout too...although there is a stripper in Dundee with nice bumps

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 23.24hrs on Tue 8 Mar 16
[youtu.be]

That's what I am talking about. For BASI stuff and practice at level 2.

Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.17hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
Suggest you contact ski school at lets say cairngorm and get the instructors to ski with you as a training session to set up a bump run in a pre determined spot with ops1/2 that wont get flattened as soon as your finished. That way they get training as well as you for any upcoming exams. Mind you, you would need to get it steep enough or it is a waste of everybody's time. If ski school won't help then ski it yourself with friends but again speak to ops and they may let you have a corner to set up as a small set of bumps.

geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 08.54hrs on Fri 11 Mar 16
There is a very high chance you won't get any mogul skiing on your l2. I would not worry about it they know its hard to get practice in and it can be difficult for them to find or make decent ones. You will probably only do variables for that

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 14.39hrs on Fri 11 Mar 16
Just for clarification folks, you do get bumps, big ones, on your L2. I know this as I didn't pass my own L2 in December last year in Val d'Isere.

"Bumps" are part of the course and you must pass them. The criteria were no shopping (looking for the easiest line - you must go straight down the fall line), constant speed (no acceleration due to not controlling speed) and a 100m pitch.

I live in Inverness and ski most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays with at least one day on the piste. I was at Cairn Gorm this morning. It's excellent for long and short turns but bumps no. In fact I can't think of anywhere that has anything close to the bumps we did in Val d'Isere and I am including history in that.

Where are the bumps session on the L2 held in Scotland? BASI had a course on last week.

geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 19.10hrs on Fri 11 Mar 16
ok well i have to say i never got bumps on my L2 'just for clarification', neither did anyone else on the 3 L2 courses running but this was at Tux in the summer the bumps weren't so easy to achieve.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Scottish L2 course didn't have any, although last year they did go to the snow dome on one L2 course and spend a while making bumps so i really should be more careful with my choice of words, but you do seem to believe it's mandatory, how much freestyle did you do??

White Lady has had the best bumps iv'e skied in Scotland, you wont get ones like Val D here, best make your own if there's none about even if it means using a shovel.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.13hrs Fri 11 Mar 16 by geeo.

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.25hrs on Mon 14 Mar 16
When did you do your L2?

I have attached a picture of the relevant page from the BASI L2 work book (this season).

We did hardly any freestyle as it isn't mandatory and there wasn't really the time.

I just can't see how bumps similar to what we had at Val d'Isere can be found in Scotland.

There were some very small ones starting to form on the White Lady today but they pisted them over again (grrr). A small ridge line at Nevis Range yesterday and none at Glen Coe on Saturday.

Attachments: DSC_0621.JPG (183kB)  
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.41hrs on Mon 14 Mar 16
Donald...many years ago there used to be Bumps in the Ciste Gully creating a pattern that was big enough to hide Transit Mini-busses.....Large Audiences used to gather and watch all the Mogul Masters and Triers !!

But Cairngorm Does not care now ...a good few seasons ago after a lot of Public Pressure one side of the White Lady was left to go natural....but I am sure you can see by the Answer you got on Book face tonight they are now catering for Beginners !

DonaldM

10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.11hrs on Thu 7 Apr 16
Looking ahead, can anyone comment on Glen Coe or Aonach Mòr for bumps right now?

The area to the left of the Goose T-bar, looking down, sometimes has a ridge line.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: