You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
The A9 - what's the deal
Date Posted: 18.46hrs on Fri 4 Mar 16
Are there roadworks or average speed cameras? Coming up from Edinburgh to Cairngorm not been up this year yet.

Any info would be appreciated.

Owen

Last Visited: 11:05
12th Mar 2021
Re: The A9 - what's the deal
Date Posted: 19.18hrs on Fri 4 Mar 16
There's average speed cameras all the way from Stirling to Inverness. So it's 60mph on single carriageways and 70mph on dual carriageways for car and on the A9 only 50mph for trucks on both single and dual carriageways.
There are roadworks between Kingussie and Aviemore where they're widening the road here it's 40mph for everyone, deep joy.

snmartin

Last Visited: 06:22
4th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 07.00hrs on Sat 5 Mar 16
there are no speed cameras on the dual carriage ways north of Perth. Perhaps a van. So make up time on them.

Davie_Mac

Last Visited: 21:50
18th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 21.00hrs on Sat 5 Mar 16
Or just observe the speed limit and not drive like a twat.

Biff

Date Posted: 09.09hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Davie_Mac Wrote:

You must be a complete twat too as I do not believe you have never been speeding. Speeding doesn't make you a twat, shite driving does.

I wish folk would observe the speed limit....yeah, me too as there is nothing worse than driving alongside Loch Lomond from Tarbet at 20-30mph, there are only about 3 corners you need to reduce your speed from at least 60.

Owning a Scooby I have no intention of observing the speed limit.

Keep it below 100 and between the hedges and you should keep your license!!

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Basically Average speed cameras the whole way from Perth to Inverness on the A9.

1. so for a car 60mph on single & 70mph on dual.

2. Beware the dual looking sections which are "overtaking" lanes, eg only dual on your side with no "dual carriageway" signs & no national speed limit signs. These sections are still 60mph for cars & catch ALOT of people out who end up getting tickets, I know some mates who got them!

3. The trigger limits are very close to the speed limits, & we don't quite know if done between two concurrent cameras of over the end & start points of your journey, even a few mates who work for the Police don't know the exact "specs".

4. I just stick the cruise on & keep an eye on when to increase & decrease when in & out of the national speed limit dual sections.

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.55hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
The average speed cameras have made the road much safer in my view and also slightly faster I think as the average speed of the traffic is higher. I got cruise control fitted to my van and it's made all the difference.

Looking back at the time before the cameras, I remember all the idiotic driving with people driving very fast, coming up behind traffic going slower, then attempting idiotic overtakes. There is much less of that now.

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 11.37hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!

[edit] Was stretching the forum with too many Zs!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.26hrs Sun 6 Mar 16 by alan.

chrisski

Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Biff Wrote:
Davie_Mac Wrote:

You must be a complete twat too as I do not believe you have never been speeding. Speeding doesn't make you a twat, shite driving does.

I wish folk would observe the speed limit....yeah, me too as there is nothing worse than driving alongside Loch Lomond from Tarbet at 20-30mph, there are only about 3 corners you need to reduce your speed from at least 60.

Owning a Scooby I have no intention of observing the speed limit.

Keep it below 100 and between the hedges and you should keep your license!!

well your comment makes you sound like one!

pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.15hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
chrisski Wrote:

well your comment makes you sound like one!

Indeed it does!

growwild

Date Posted: 16.01hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
The A9, Scotland's most boring road!

The cattle drovers and the Sassenach army shared the same dreams at night off Vdubs being built, so the A82 was born. Plenty of areas tae get a wheel up in the air, or all 4. Plus plenty of space tae try and brake the sound barrier and the mountains are better

It's a win smiling smiley

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.31hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
The average speed cameras do not cover the Dual Carriageway sections north of the Broxden Roundabout. It's partly technical, most of the cameras pair up by RF link North of Perth and there isn't the required RF line of sight between opposite sides of the Slochd Summit and the Drumocther Pass as examples.

Also the camera pairs can only cover one permanent speed limit, they have to be able to specifically say which limit was broken - thus can not cover single and dual in one camera pair. There is a possible anomaly here just South of the Killikrankie viaduct where there is one pair of cameras with the very short now D1 Dual Carriageway at the Pitlochry junction now in the middle of it, it is clearly signed as DC (and also with the beginning and end of DC HGV Speed Limit signs).

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 19.52hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Are you sure that is dual Alan ? Don't think so !

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.06hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Pre resurfacing:

Post resurfacing - painted down to D1 Dual Carriageway (infuriatingly as could pass a single slow HGV here in the past):

Post Single Carriageway 50mph HGV Limit - signs confirming start of 50mph HGV Single Carriageway Speed Limit:

As noted above that some people have found out to their cost it is not the number of lanes but the presence or absence of a physical central reservation that defines whether the NSL is 60mph or 70mph for cars.

[edit]

Only just realised from looking at those that the acceleration lane Northbound has been removed from the junction!

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 20.11hrs Sun 6 Mar 16 by alan.

Attachments: A9-2.jpg (98kB)   A9-3.jpg (118kB)   A9-1.jpg (100kB)  
growwild

Date Posted: 20.18hrs on Sun 6 Mar 16
Just as well that golfs number plate is blurry, it should be scrapped if it couldnae do that wee red thing in that space sad smiley

Goto Page:  123Next
Current Page:1 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: