You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Emma2785

Last Visited: 15:44
8th Mar 2016
Feb 2017- family skiing
Date Posted: 15.53hrs on Tue 8 Mar 16
Hi,
We are a family from Wales husband, wife and two daughters who will be 4 and 1.5 next year). We are hoping to come up the week after your half term for 4 days (hopefully to ski). If skiing is possible, we'd like our 4 year old to try (my husband and I have skied for years- but never in Scotland) and whilst they're out skiing I'll stay with my other daughter in a cafe.

I'm just looking for some advice. We're thinking about Glenshee. We'd like a log cabin (with a hot tub would be brilliant- does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen one in Blairgowie. Is this close enough?

If there isn't snow, could anyone recommend any other activities? We're an outdoorsy family. If there is snow, is there I cafe close to the slopes so I can watch?? Could I take a sledge for my youngest?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Emma

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.53hrs Tue 8 Mar 16 by Emma2785.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Re: Feb 2017- family skiing
Date Posted: 23.23hrs on Wed 9 Mar 16
Hi Emma

Can't comment on the accommodation near Glenshee, however all of the ski centres has cafes you can sit in and watch the snow. Glencoe you need to go up the chair and either ski or walk a bit to the plateau cafe. At Glenshee, you could take the Baddoch chair up to one of the mountain cafes and watch your family on snow. My advice would be to stay somewhere central e.g. Stirling or perth - and travel to where has the best mix for your family based upon weather and snow.
There are other activities to do around the ski centres if you have a car, usually within a short drive. In some centres you can take a sledge and use on snow outside the ski areas but in others you need to hire (used to have to do this at Cairngorm, not sure the policy now) or use the free sledges (e.g. at Glencoe) provided

Hope this helps
Stephen
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.36hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
blairgowrie is about 30-40 mins drive from glenshee, and about 2 hours from all the other centres.

i live there so not sure about accommodation, but i think there's a good range of different options. stuff to do wise, theres plenty places to go walking/biking etc, and a few good places to eat but it's not an outdoorsy town in the way that someplace like aviemore or fort william is.

to be honest, unless you're 100% going to glenshee, there would be better all round holiday options than blair. pitlochry in particular is worth a look (dunkeld too maybe), it's just off the a9, pretty easy to get to all five resorts and has a lot more of a tourist/family focus.

as sspeirs says, skiing in scotland is all about being as flexible as possible and keeping your options open.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.51hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
Hi Emma,
If you are set on Glenshee, then maybe Braemar would be a good place to stay. We always stayed in Aviemore at half term. There is plenty on offer and you have the option of the Lecht (very child friendly) if CG is stormbound. Pine Bank Chalets is in a good position and the chalets are great.
[www.pinebankchalets.co.uk]

Have a great trip.

telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 13.12hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
Not that much to do at Glenshee / Braemar if weather no so good.
If you are ok with travelling an extra hour, go to Aviemore / Cairngorm.
Stay at the Lazy Duck Hostel
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 15.59hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
I like the log cabins at the spittal of glenshee, [www.glenbeag.co.uk]
but if theres no snow then theres not much to do other than walks etc.
The most child freindly place to ski is the lecht which has the magic carpet lift but glenshee also has lots of places for sledging etc.
It depends what you like - plenty family walks around the spittal and up in the pine forests near Braemar.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 16.10hrs on Thu 10 Mar 16
I simply would not reccommend planning to ski at Cairngorm during the English half term hols.
TheCabinSkiHire

Last Visited: 12:40
28th Nov 2016
Date Posted: 09.59hrs on Wed 23 Nov 16
Hi Guys,

We set up last season, great equipment for all ages and abilities.

Brand new equipment, lots of new shiny boots and everything is serviced each night. Pop in and see us if you're passing. Same price as all other hire shops.

We have alpine quality equipment, fully qualified and highly experienced staff. Been working over in the Alps for years and bringing back some fresh ideas as a Scottish rental option.

See you this season hopefully!

Check us out on all the usual social media for weather, offers and current conditions.

www.facebook.com/thecabinskihire

www.thecabinskihire.co.uk

Accommodation wise the closest to us is Balnabea self catering, sleeps 10 and offers fantastic quality. www.balnabea.co.uk
knobby

Last Visited: 07:12
11th Apr 2017
Date Posted: 22.24hrs on Wed 23 Nov 16
sspeirs Wrote:
My advice would be to stay somewhere central e.g. Stirling or perth - and travel to where has the best mix for your family based upon weather and snow.

This good advice got me thinking: Where exactly is the most central point (from a travel time point of view) for all 5 of the Scottish ski centres? Can't find a tool for travel time, though this site does give you the geographic centre: [www.geomidpoint.com]

Going back to your question Emma, I'd agree with remote_patrol that Pitlochry or Dunkeld would be a good bet, or maybe Killin or Laggan, after all, west is best!!
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.04hrs on Wed 23 Nov 16
About Kinlochlaggan on the A86!
IanF

Last Visited: 07:23
19th Apr 2018
Date Posted: 23.35hrs on Wed 23 Nov 16
Fort William might be a good option. You are within reach of both Nevis and Glencoe ski areas. They will be much quieter than Aviemore in half term. There is good walking in Glen Nevis, two indoor climbing centers (one in Fort William, one in Kinlochleven), indoor bowling and a soft play in the Nevis Centre for when the weather is poor. There is also a decent swimming pool.

And see Snowweasel's post on the ski club film thread for some footage of Nevis range.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 23.45hrs Wed 23 Nov 16 by IanF.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.51hrs on Thu 24 Nov 16
now you have had every option under the sun...what should you do

stick with your plan...stay in Blairgowrie and Ski in the amazing Glenshee

if disaster hits and the peak mid season conditions dont allow you to ski there, it is not very far to other activities in perth or dundee (30min) pitclochry (30min)

the other ski resorts in 2 hours on A-Class rounds

I think you will be chatting to me at the snow gates on the A93 waiting to get up and attack the fresh powder, but thats just my optomisim

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: